Goblin Works Garage

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm
Car(s): Car

Goblin Works Garage

Postby ESSEXV6ESSEX » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:40 am

Has anybody watched this yet? I watch anything car related but these bunch of tools I cannot stand. Id like to see thier garage get destroyed. This week they wreck a E reg 2.8i Capri. Irritating bunch of idiots.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 4869
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Devon

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby andyd » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:00 am

Hi Mark,
I have watched the episodes so far and I can put up with it tbh, but like most car programmes there are irritating/annoying bits.

Have seen pictures of the finished Capri, and Rob has seen the car in person.

fordperv
Posts: 295
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 pm
Car(s): too many
Location: stoke on trent

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby fordperv » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:30 pm

Wrecked is a strong word, ive seen the car in the metal (?and I liked it so I can't agree with you

The coyote engine looked right at home in there

Image

User avatar
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Posts: 10989
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)
Location: Ceredigion

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby Andrew 2.8i » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:41 pm

I've no doubt that the quality of the workmanship is top notch, however, the modifications to the Capri are too extreme for my personal tastes.
The cars on Counting Cars look quite restrained in comparison! :)

Andrew.
Image

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1177
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby Jasonmarie » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:33 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I've no doubt that the quality of the workmanship is top notch, however, the modifications to the Capri are too extreme for my personal tastes.
The cars on Counting Cars look quite restrained in comparison! :)

Andrew.


Total agree with you andrew , I would love to see the count do a Capri as long as horny mike left it alone :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

-JC-
Posts: 4362
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:17 pm
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2007 Alfa Romeo 159 3.2 Q4 JTS
Location: Surrey
Contact:

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby -JC- » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:13 am

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:Id like to see thier garage get destroyed.


Because they made a car you don't like?
Image
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."

ESSEXV6ESSEX
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm
Car(s): Car

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby ESSEXV6ESSEX » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:16 pm

-JC- wrote:
ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:Id like to see thier garage get destroyed.


Because they made a car you don't like?


Absolutely. There is nobody's opinion more valid then your own.

Sorry I am a bit of purist and a Black 'E Reg 2.8i that's lasted this long did not desetve this fate. I watch most of the car programmes but I honestly have not liked a single car from this lot. I will still watch it to make myself angry.

ESSEXV6ESSEX
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm
Car(s): Car

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby ESSEXV6ESSEX » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:18 pm

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I've no doubt that the quality of the workmanship is top notch, however, the modifications to the Capri are too extreme for my personal tastes.
The cars on Counting Cars look quite restrained in comparison! :)

Andrew.


That was very reserved Andrew, you should meet Donald Trump. :lol:

ESSEXV6ESSEX
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm
Car(s): Car

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby ESSEXV6ESSEX » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:21 pm

andyd wrote:Hi Mark,
I have watched the episodes so far and I can put up with it tbh, but like most car programmes there are irritating/annoying bits.

Have seen pictures of the finished Capri, and Rob has seen the car in person.

Hi Andy, I thought better of you. I hate to say it but if a Peugeot 205 GLD is standard I'd probably like it. If it had half a waist line of reinforced plastic and a Chevvy engine I'd probably hate it.

User avatar
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Posts: 780
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 2:26 pm
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto
On the hunt for some capri shaped V6 power....
Location: South Bucks

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby D366Y » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:26 pm

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:
-JC- wrote:
ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:Id like to see thier garage get destroyed.


Because they made a car you don't like?


Absolutely. There is nobody's opinion more valid then your own.



I agree with your point about opinions but wishing someone's business would burn down seems like an extreme way of expressing it... If you don't like what I do with my car does my house have to burn down? :lol:

ESSEXV6ESSEX
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm
Car(s): Car

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby ESSEXV6ESSEX » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:30 pm

I agree with your point about opinions but wishing someone's business would burn down seems like an extreme way of expressing it... If you don't like what I do with my car does my house have to burn down? :lol:[/quote]
No that would be absurd. Maybe just take the car off you and give it to someone more deserving. I'm joking of course.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 4869
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Devon

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby andyd » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:41 pm

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:
andyd wrote:Hi Mark,
I have watched the episodes so far and I can put up with it tbh, but like most car programmes there are irritating/annoying bits.

Have seen pictures of the finished Capri, and Rob has seen the car in person.

Hi Andy, I thought better of you. I hate to say it but if a Peugeot 205 GLD is standard I'd probably like it. If it had half a waist line of reinforced plastic and a Chevvy engine I'd probably hate it.

I haven't been too keen on anything they have built in the first 3 episodes either.
I prefer standard cars (maybe the odd subtle changes) but confess to liking the Capri from the pictures, maybe in the flesh I would have a different opinion.....

I would love a Muscle Car and this would tick the box (without being American if that makes sense) :)

ESSEXV6ESSEX
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm
Car(s): Car

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby ESSEXV6ESSEX » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:14 pm

andyd wrote:
ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:
andyd wrote:Hi Mark,
I have watched the episodes so far and I can put up with it tbh, but like most car programmes there are irritating/annoying bits.

Have seen pictures of the finished Capri, and Rob has seen the car in person.

Hi Andy, I thought better of you. I hate to say it but if a Peugeot 205 GLD is standard I'd probably like it. If it had half a waist line of reinforced plastic and a Chevvy engine I'd probably hate it.

I haven't been too keen on anything they have built in the first 3 episodes either.
I prefer standard cars (maybe the odd subtle changes) but confess to liking the Capri from the pictures, maybe in the flesh I would have a different opinion.....

I would love a Muscle Car and this would tick the box (without being American if that makes sense) :)


Ah yes makes sense it just pains me to see a surviving car bastardised in this way, I have tried to get to grips with it and can't. I do accept though it's a choice thing and thier car so can do what they like. I like muscle cars too, there are a couple of Mustangs near me, a newer 57plate, type shape and a 1964 coupe. I like them both. The guy also had a copy A-Team van.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 4869
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Devon

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby andyd » Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:32 am

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote:
Ah yes makes sense it just pains me to see a surviving car bastardised in this way, I have tried to get to grips with it and can't. I do accept though it's a choice thing and thier car so can do what they like. I like muscle cars too, there are a couple of Mustangs near me, a newer 57plate, type shape and a 1964 coupe. I like them both. The guy also had a copy A-Team van.

I like the new Mustang, but a 60's V8 model would be the one to have :)

Caprigear
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2151
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby Caprigear » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:32 am

I must admit I'm with Mark on this. There are plenty of snotters around that could have been used for this creation so why use what looks like a very nice condition car.
I suppose it makes the build easier but in my opinion it's not good to be losing nice condition cars for this kind of thing. It would have been far better to see them take something that looked like it was hanging then produce the finished article.
It's not just the Capri - all of the vehicles that they have "worked " on have been decent examples.
Twenty years ago it wouldn't have mattered, the cars were everywhere but now with the numbers dwindling like they are to take what looks like a really nice late registered 2.8i Special to use a a base for their creation just doesn't seem right to me.
Image

fordperv
Posts: 295
Joined: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:40 pm
Car(s): too many
Location: stoke on trent

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby fordperv » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:39 am

Caprigear wrote:
Twenty years ago it wouldn't have mattered, the cars were everywhere but now with the numbers dwindling like they are to take what looks like a really nice late registered 2.8i Special to use a a base for their creation just doesn't seem right to me.


For every one that's modified theres another few being restored to standard/concourse or found forgotten in garages, im putting my fireproof suit on before saying this, it's just a blooming car which the telly show probably paid very strong money for, at the end of the day you pay your money you make your choice thats what they did, theres more horrible things happening to capri's which are bought by people who are modifying them but don't have the mechanical skill making them potentially dangerous or lack basic taste e.g. rat looking them etc, nobody cries for them as they aren't put on the stupid box

im the sort of person who would use a sierra rs500 as a daily if I had the chance

A17 LTF
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 9:58 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1 pinto, Skoda Octavia Mk1 VRS

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby A17 LTF » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 pm

95 percent of capri people dislike it fully, i must be one of the few that liked it. Just the front grille could have gone black instead. Im not a purist and enjoy all types if marques/versions of the capri.

ESSEXV6ESSEX
Posts: 302
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:45 pm
Car(s): Car

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby ESSEXV6ESSEX » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:48 pm

Watched it, my view hasn't changed. 40k?i would buy the mustang that engine was from. What is wrong with people. I could understand paying 40k on a Capri because you are paying for time travel, paying for the experience and having the opportunity for reliving your youth. If you buy the Mustang you are paying for the modern day experience that may become the Capri of tomorrow but that car is not anything really other than a mish mash of bits, it's like a steam train with a diesel engine. Not saying I don't appreciate the craft but there is a reason we have listed buildings, maybe we should have listed cars?

User avatar
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Posts: 1177
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:30 am
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby
Mercedes Vito Traveline 2.2 Big Bus Daily Driver
Location: Kent

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby Jasonmarie » Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:36 am

I did like that it’s interesting because when I was messing with cars at 16 ish I would really butcher a mk1 Escort or ford capri and it was fine and for years the Hot Rod gang would hit Ford Pops or model Ts what everybody like .
Yes I love that 80s feel it’s me it’s the car I had for almost 14 years and that’s why my Capri is part of me .

But I don’t like the Capri with the bumpers missing but there build I did like and if I did have a spare 40k in my pocket I would have had that . What is funny I spoke with Jimmy last August as me and Andrew spotted it for sale at 30k , perhaps we should have bought it and made 10k .

It’s nice to see a retro look with Today’s tech or steampunk ish I sold some old pocket watch parts for a steam punk speedo rev counter that was going in to a Morgan as the buyer wanted smiths gauges with a brown back ground and brass clock workings in the outer edge . Madness and god knows how much that is going to cost as it’s all bespoke .

It British and beats watching USA cars as there are to many yanks doing car shows . But I do like Wayne the best in chasing classic cars .............. :drive:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 4869
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Devon

Re: Goblin Works Garage

Postby andyd » Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:29 am

Did well to get that car for £8k in the first place!

The guy paid 40k, then it was advertised late July at a dealer for £30k iirc, then appeared on Ebay in October and sold for £25700 :shock: