Some sad sights

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Some sad sights

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Some sad sights

Post by Paul G »

Seems strange that when the garage closed the cars weren't sold in the trade, auctioned or scrapped at the time. All of them are quite rare now and just beginning to get collectable, even the Lada Samara, so perhaps someone will save them.

With the Longbridge film it still angers me what the Phoenix four did the main British car producing corporation - it should have been sold to Honda rather than them at the time and would still now be producing a good saleable product. Phoenix were just pirate asset strippers and nothing else.

To see all those crappy Chinese takeaway cars purporting to be MG's in the remains of what was arguably Britain's most historic car factory just makes me want to vomit. Scrap the lot of them.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Paul G wrote:Seems strange that when the garage closed the cars weren't sold in the trade, auctioned or scrapped at the time. All of them are quite rare now and just beginning to get collectable, even the Lada Samara, so perhaps someone will save them.

With the Longbridge film it still angers me what the Phoenix four did the main British car producing corporation - it should have been sold to Honda rather than them at the time and would still now be producing a good saleable product. Phoenix were just pirate asset strippers and nothing else.

To see all those crappy Chinese takeaway cars purporting to be MG's in the remains of what was arguably Britain's most historic car factory just makes me want to vomit. Scrap the lot of them.
Fully agree :applaud: Those bunch of idiots were typical symbols of everything that went wrong with BL then MG Rover, throw backs that mislead the workers. The way they tried to handle the Chinese deal was akin to May handling Brexit. As for asset strippers the same could be said of BMW but at least they were astute I suppose and produced MG Rovers best car in the '75, love it hate it. Good book if you are in to reading is by Chris Brady and Andrew Lorenz called "The real story of the downfall of Rover". I too hate those effigies of a once great brand. There is talk of a resurrection of ROVER and some other old Brands like Riley. I agree at least Honda had it sort of right.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

The problem was that the names were carved up like a Christmas turkey. Riley is owned by BMW, as is Triumph. Rover is owned by JLR (read TATA).

The rest are owned still by the Chinese including the model names - Montego, Minor etc.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:Seems strange that when the garage closed the cars weren't sold in the trade, auctioned or scrapped at the time. All of them are quite rare now and just beginning to get collectable, even the Lada Samara, so perhaps someone will save them.
That was my first thought.
Everything is worth something to someone....Reading some of the comments in the video link, some have now gone :)