Salvage Hunters Classic Cars

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Re: Salvage Hunters Classic Cars

Post by Caprigear »

I don't mind the bike builds, true, with two projects supposedly going on at the same time you don't get much coverage of either build. I would prefer restoring of classic seventies and eighties bikes but that's my favourite era.
This programme is following the usual now well trodden path, bugger all in the way of budget when you consider the amount of people involved in the builds and stupidly short time frames in which to build the things.
Another thing that really gets on my tits - they're all covered in rings, wristwatches and buckles, studs etc, I wouldn't want any of them within 10 yards of anything I wanted building!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I saw it for the first and last time last night. What an obnoxious :wank: that Drew is. All he said was me me me and I I I. Horrible little poisoned dwarf.

Personally I would have left the 4 headlamp grille on the Golf as it was a period extra and sourced the correct alloys or a set of the silver rimmed gold BBS rims that a lot of them, including my old one, had.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

This is why I prefer Fantom Works. If it's a pile of :turd: they say so, and it's for paying customers only.
Also more emphasis and explanations on the repairs, realistic time frames and if there is a difficulty finding spares. Usually they say how many hours it took and the price of parts too.

Oh, and some great Muscle Cars too :)
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

andyd wrote:This is why I prefer Fantom Works. If it's a pile of :turd: they say so, and it's for paying customers only.
Also more emphasis and explanations on the repairs, realistic time frames and if there is a difficulty finding spares. Usually they say how many hours it took and the price of parts too.

Oh, and some great Muscle Cars too :)
Yeah agree I really like fantom works, Dan seems a good guy. With a lot of these shows and I watch them all I am impressed by the skills involved, some great craft work going on at times and when you look through the BS of TV it's great that there is so much exposure and whatever your taste there will be something of interest. I really like watching the very old Top Gears on YouTube, great days.
Last edited by ESSEXV6ESSEX on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Watched Salvage Hunters last night,
I liked the Golf but I would have kept the original seat fabric, 4 light front grille and fitted a correct set of alloys for that year.
As Drew is 'Mr Original' it appeared he wanted a car that he liked :?

The Lotus looked great and I preferred the new colour, but again 'Mr Original' surely would have kept it the Original colour :?

Will watch again though.
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

andyd wrote:Watched Salvage Hunters last night,
I liked the Golf but I would have kept the original seat fabric, 4 light front grille and fitted a correct set of alloys for that year.
As Drew is 'Mr Original' it appeared he wanted a car that he liked :?

The Lotus looked great and I preferred the new colour, but again 'Mr Original' surely would have kept it the Original colour :?

Will watch again though.
Yep that year as far as I know should have the Tarantula style alloys which to me are pure GTi and look better, cheaper then Pirelli types as well. I liked the Blue one the Lotus but you are right Drew is Mr original, mind you that Red may not have been, usually old Lotus have been painted at least once.
andyd

Post by andyd »

ESSEXV6ESSEX wrote: mind you that Red may not have been, usually old Lotus have been painted at least once.
That did occur to me if Red was the original colour of the Lotus...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Didn't see ithe show, but are you talking about this car?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-2 ... 7675.l2557

Note the words "resprayed in glacier blue", not "returned to it's original colour" or something similar.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Didn't see ithe show, but are you talking about this car?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lotus-Elan-2- ... noapp=true

Note the words "resprayed in glacier blue", not "returned to it's original colour" or something similar.

Andrew.
That's the one. Good find Andrew :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The name of the show is not mentioned in the listing, although the timing of the condition that the buyer must appear on camera within four weeks seems to be spot on. It also seems a coincidence that we are talking about a man called Drew Pritchard and the seller on Ebay is dp_classics.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:The name of the show is not mentioned in the listing, although the timing of the condition that the buyer must appear on camera within four weeks seems to be spot on. It also seems a coincidence that we are talking about a man called Drew Pritchard and the seller on Ebay is dp_classics.

Andrew.
It all fits like a jigsaw :) They didn't show the buyer though :?

2 other cars from the upcoming episodes in their other items.

I thought DP meant something completely different :o :lol:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:I thought DP meant something completely different :o :lol:
:lol:
What sort of movies have you been watching? :shock: :)

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:I thought DP meant something completely different :o :lol:
:lol:
What sort of movies have you been watching? :shock: :)

Andrew.
:wave:
andyd

Post by andyd »

andyd wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:I forgot it was on :doh:
Me too. We'll probably not have to wait long for it to be repeated.

Andrew.
Sunday at 9pm :)
On again at 3pm today...... How many times are they going to repeat each episode :o :o
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:They didn't show the buyer though :?
andyd wrote:2 other cars from the upcoming episodes in their other items.
It's interesting that the other listings don't mention anything about appearing on the TV...

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: It's interesting that the other listings don't mention anything about appearing on the TV...

Andrew.
It does;

928; This car has been purchased and returned to excellent condition as part of a TV show which will be aired in January 2018

350; This car was purchased as part of a TV series and has undergone a thorough refresh, which has included a structural overhaul
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Sorry Andy, my mistake. I meant to write that the listings don't mention about the buyer appearing on TV.
Perhaps the buyer of the Lotus wasn't screen-worthy enough and they changed their mind about the buying being obliged to appear?

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Sorry Andy, my mistake. I meant to write that the listings don't mention about the buyer appearing on TV.
Perhaps the buyer of the Lotus wasn't screen-worthy enough and they changed their mind about the buying being obliged to appear?

Andrew.
Ah right :sorry:
I wouldn't want to appear on T/V as the buyer anyway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:I saw it for the first and last time last night. What an obnoxious :wank: that Drew is. All he said was me me me and I I I. Horrible little poisoned dwarf.
Wow Paul! :shock: Did he sell you some antique furniture that later turned out to be reproduction or something? :lol:

The whole Golf grille argument, I suspect, had been fabricated for the show. After all, it would have been easy enough to store the four lamp grille in the boot and let the buyer decide which one they preferred. Problem solved!
Considering that the show is called "Salvage Hunters", the Golf section of the show was hardly worth showing anyway, as the only work required was minor cosmetic stuff. Although our favourite presenter, Drew, mentioned it was a "no questions car", meaning that all necessary work had been completed, I did notice that when the presenters were on their way to meet the buyer most of the heating elements in the rear screen clearly were not working. Surely it would have been better spending money getting that fixed rather than faffing about with the grille.

The Lotus was referred to as being another "no questions car" although I couldn't help noticing that the DVLA still have it recorded as being red. Although it's no big deal to get that changed, if I was the buyer, I'd be wondering about the quality of the restoration if something as obvious as that has been overlooked. Especially if the seller is asking top dollar.

Despite those minor observations, it's a decent enough programme and I'll watch the future episodes.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:I wouldn't want to appear on T/V as the buyer anyway.
No, nor me. Although if you believe what you read on the internet, a similar show has been known to use production crew to pose as the buyer and/or seller.....

Andrew.