Garage Heating

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Garage Heating

Post by pbar »

Any recommendations for a heater for the garage. Not to keep the place warm, just for when doing jobs in there through the winter without shivering and having icicles hanging from my nose. Useful too for any painting jobs. Prefer one without the need for mains, was thinking of this -

https://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-351662/sea ... eater.html
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Garage Heating

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Paul,
I've got a small propane space heater that I use for the same sort of jobs that you intend to use it for.
The main issue with propane fuelled heaters is that they cause a fair bit of condensation to form on cold surfaces. This can be reduced by ensuring that the garage is well ventilated when the heater is in use.

Let us know how you get on with this sealey one, if you buy it.

Andrew.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Thanks for the response Andrew. I've been looking around at info on the Sealey one, and an Amazon for example there are a lot of reviews, all very favourable, even poeple with large double garages with high ceilings (therefore always very cold) are saying how great it is at keeping the area so warm. So, especially at the price, that one does look good to me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-LP14-20 ... ealey+lp14
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
The Sealey heater is reasonably priced, that's for sure.
I think there is a formula for working out how many BTUs you will need to heat a certain volume of space, although it sounds as though this heater will be adequate for your needs.

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Simply pull the hose off the fuel pump, lie it close to the floor and hey presto! A primed wick ready to light at a moments notice to keep you warm and toasty as you work on your beloved classic.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
I think there is a formula for working out how many BTUs you will need to heat a certain volume of space, although it sounds as though this heater will be adequate for your needs.
That's right, I've been looking at that. This little heater sure seems to give out a lot of warmth, double garage size no problem it seems.
pbar

Post by pbar »

pbar wrote:Thanks for the response Andrew. I've been looking around at info on the Sealey one, and an Amazon for example there are a lot of reviews, all very favourable, even poeple with large double garages with high ceilings (therefore always very cold) are saying how great it is at keeping the area so warm. So, especially at the price, that one does look good to me.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-LP14-20 ... ealey+lp14
Well I went ahead and bought this. Seems excellent. I found it for £40 which included free next day delivery, from here -

http://www.tools4trade.co.uk/sealey-lp1 ... tu-hr.html