Tickford Capri

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Tickford Capri

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

Forums seem to be getting a bit low on content lately so I thought I'd try and open up a few discussions and debates:

I have been reading of late history on the Tickford Turbo and wondered -
1.How many of these cars are still left?
2.Anyone owned one from new?
3.What are peoples thoughts on them as a whole, styling, engines, interiors etc?
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Tickford Capri

Post by Paul G »

If they had built the Tickford without the hideous bodykit it would be so much more appealing to me. As they stand and especially in white I call them Tackfords.

The standard MK3 shape, even as a 1.3L, is beautiful and I don't think any of these body kits help in any way. Ideal Capri - give me a 3.0S with or without turbo. It's just bare arsed tail out fun with a lovely raw engine note which is even better than that which the Cologne engine makes.

According to "how may left" there are 7 licenced and 17 sorn Tickfords left out of a production of 85. There must be a few more about off the radar I guess as well as a few fakes.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
On the whole, I like the Tickford.....a Capri with 205BHP, what's not to like? :)
I can appreciate the attention to detail that went into altering the design, both the engineering aspects and the styling must have been studied in great detail before being redesigned. For example, the extra seal around the door frame to reduce wind noise. On the subject of styling, it's a contentious issue, but I like it....although not quite as much as I like the standard car.
My only criticism is the interior. All of the cars I've seen have the standard seats and door cards from the 2.8. They are perfectly adequate in the 2.8, but they must have disappointed the buyers of a car that cost twice the list price of the standard Ford model. I think leather seats were a cost option, although I'm not sure. If they were, I'm surprised that more buyers didn't take the option.

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:If they had built the Tickford without the hideous bodykit it would be so much more appealing to me. As they stand and especially in white I call them Tackfords.

The standard MK3 shape, even as a 1.3L, is beautiful and I don't think any of these body kits help in any way. Ideal Capri - give me a 3.0S with or without turbo. It's just bare arsed tail out fun with a lovely raw engine note which is even better than that which the Cologne engine makes.

According to "how may left" there are 7 licenced and 17 sorn Tickfords left out of a production of 85. There must be a few more about off the radar I guess as well as a few fakes.
Can't argue with that :!:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

When they were new, I really liked them. Thought they were really sleek looking. Thing is, they were very much a product of their time, body kits, especially on Fords were really popular. Now though I much prefer a standard Capri, the only kit I really like is the genuine x-pack cars which just enhances the already nice shape. When my sons first saw a Tickford at the NEC a few years ago, they thought they looked a bit naff.
I appreciate them, but don't want to own one, would much rather a mint standard 280 to any bodykitted Capri, but that's just my opinion 8-)
Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Post by Pas28i »

I like all capris and also think they look fine as they are, but still like the Tickford.

Tickford wasted time in some aspects of the model such as retrimming the a-pillar trim in leather, when they were already leather look plastic!

The blanked off grille looked good but the bottom grill wasn’t enough for cooling and the position of the turbo at the front was unusual.
The ignition/Ecu system was problematic.

Full leather trim was an option and Wilton carpets and I think more upmarket headlining.
Red, white and black were standard colours but you could have any colour you wanted, so have seen them in green, grey, mineral blue and glacier blue.
They did one in a gold colour with black ash (I wish they made for regular dash) instead of walnut in the dash, trimmed in half leather but with the light grey strobe trim.

Tickford were used to trim the half leather recaros for ford for the special and the 280.

Never been in one but knew someone who owned one and said it was very fast.
The prototype reg FMJ 624Y was the nicest, reminds me of Concorde , here’s a website dedicated to them;-

http://www.a400mod.com/What%20is%20a%20 ... 0Capri.htm
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Pas28i wrote:I like all capris and also think they look fine as they are, but still like the Tickford.
Thank goodness, I was beginning to think that I was the only one!

I am shocked at how few Tickfords appear to have survived. The DVLA site says there are 24 in this country (plus a few more that are registered as Tickford), maybe some were exported too, but that still is a lot fewer than were made.

Andrew.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
On the whole, I like the Tickford.....a Capri with 205BHP, what's not to like? :)
I can appreciate the attention to detail that went into altering the design, both the engineering aspects and the styling must have been studied in great detail before being redesigned. For example, the extra seal around the door frame to reduce wind noise. On the subject of styling, it's a contentious issue, but I like it....although not quite as much as I like the standard car.
My only criticism is the interior. All of the cars I've seen have the standard seats and door cards from the 2.8. They are perfectly adequate in the 2.8, but they must have disappointed the buyers of a car that cost twice the list price of the standard Ford model. I think leather seats were a cost option, although I'm not sure. If they were, I'm surprised that more buyers didn't take the option.

Andrew.
What's not to like,Bodykit, , mechanically a nightmare, tiny radiator stuffed behind a blanked off grille, awful turbo installation. (Turbo Technics is a much neater installation) dodgy AFT boxes, rear brakes that are expensive to replace.
Interiors varied as to customers requirements.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

You know, I'm beginning to think that not everyone likes the Tickford....... :)

Andrew.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

It's down to personal tastes I suppose. They were bloody expensive back in the day for what they were, still are. I suppose the Aston Martin name added a few grand to the price tag.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:You know, I'm beginning to think that not everyone likes the Tickford....... :)

Andrew.
I've tried hard to like it but I just never got the grill, or sheet of plastic, they nailed on the front. They just seemed a mass of colour coded plastic which wasn't what the Capri was about. Apart from the performance they kind of spoiled it. Shame really because I'm generally a big Aston Martin fan - except for that Lagonda they brought out in '76 of course!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:You know, I'm beginning to think that not everyone likes the Tickford....... :)

Andrew.
I'm glad we all feel the same way about them! I was worried I was the only one :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Peter-S wrote: I just never got the grill, or sheet of plastic, they nailed on the front.
Perhaps the inspiration for that came from AM's own V8 Vantage?

Andrew.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Post by Lord Flasheart »

Peter-S wrote:

Andrew.
I've tried hard to like it but I just never got the grill, or sheet of plastic, they nailed on the front. They just seemed a mass of colour coded plastic which wasn't what the Capri was about. Apart from the performance they kind of spoiled it. Shame really because I'm generally a big Aston Martin fan - except for that Lagonda they brought out in '76 of course!

:agree: 100%
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Perhaps the inspiration for that came from AM's own V8 Vantage?

Andrew.
Could be, but that looked better like this

https://assets.bauer-wolke.co.uk/imageg ... 5207_1.jpg
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Peter-S wrote:Could be, but that looked better like this

https://assets.bauer-wolke.co.uk/imageg ... 5207_1.jpg
I'll have either of them. I'm not fussy! :D

Andrew.