Antifteeze

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Alanb67
Car(s): Ford capri 1.6L

Antifteeze

Post by Alanb67 »

I changed my antifreeze last week but when i took it a run this morning the radiator was overflowing at the cap with fluid. Do i have an air lock. If so how do I bleed the system....thanks.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Re: Antifteeze

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Alan I know its obvious but have you checked the rad cap is good and on proper and tight. I had similar couple of years back and cap was not on right even though I thought it was. Are you deffo its leaking from the cap and not the top hose or expansion hose connection ?? Jubilee clips all tight and proper ?? Surely the coolant would not leak from the cap if its a good one and on proper and tight ? Any faults with rad ?? Crack ?? Hope you get it sorted.
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Unless your expansion tank is also full to the brim, I can't think of any reason why its coming out of the top of the rad, apart from the suggestions Nick has already made... Sounds like a loose rad cap to me as well, if not then check the rest of Nick's suggestions and if it still happens let us know :)
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Alanb67

Post by Alanb67 »

Thanks for the reply. I changed the cap but it's still leaking. It seems to be leaking out the top of the radiator, right along the top of the radiator. It seems to stop after the car heats up. I think I may have over filled it possibly. It certainly never leaked before i changed the antifreeze. A bit baffling.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Alanb67 wrote:Thanks for the reply. I changed the cap but it's still leaking. It seems to be leaking out the top of the radiator, right along the top of the radiator. It seems to stop after the car heats up. I think I may have over filled it possibly. It certainly never leaked before i changed the antifreeze. A bit baffling.
If you mean along the top seal of the rad and not out of the cap it sounds like that needs to be repaired or replaced...
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Alanb67

Post by Alanb67 »

Yeah. Along the top seal. How would i go about repairing that particular problem. Strange one, it never leaked befote i changed the antifreeze.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Alanb67 wrote:Yeah. Along the top seal. How would i go about repairing that particular problem. Strange one, it never leaked befote i changed the antifreeze.
Alan it does sound very strange indeed fella especially as it was fine before you changed the antifreeze. What the dickens has caused it to start leaking immediately afterwards. The thing with water leaks is they can originate from nowhere near where you think it is so just have a really close check again just in case it is a problem with the rad cap locking on proper as this problem has occurred pretty much overnight immediately after you simply just replaced the coolant ??

As you do sound pretty definite its the rad itself that is leaking rather than the cap/hoses then the only proper permanent "repair" in my opinion is to replace the rad itself with a new one ! Yep sounds a bit over the top but if your rad has cracked I personally would be concerned the rad is on its way out and could crack elsewhere.

If you want to repair it with an epoxy you will have to locate exactly where the 'crack' is and it may well be a very small one at that rather than the whole "seal" itself as you are describing . To do this wash the rad of any grime or dirt so you have a nice clean rad then start up the engine and inspect closely both the rad and surrounding components that could leak...yep the cap again !! You might even be able to see a bit of steam from a crack. If you still cannot pinpoint the crack then it might be worth buying/lending of a pressure tester to try to find the crack by checking for the sound of leaking air.

Failing to find the actual source of the leak all you can really do is use one of the many products you add to the cooling system to seal leaks like "Rad Seal" or similar but whilst this might sort a pinhole leak more permantly it may not prove to be a long term permanent repair for a crack of any worrying size methinks. In the day people popped a few egg yolks into the system which was enough to get you going for a short while but can clog up the hoses. Free range eggs were not available then :lol:

If you can actually pinpoint the crack/hole then there are many radiator epoxy's you can buy from most decent car factors. Easy to apply onto a cold clean surface but I think would still need checking every so often to make sure its holding out but this is prob the best repair you can do yourself other than leave it in to a professional repairer to sort for you but this would cost you money. An epoxy repair like this would be permanently visible especially as it is on the top as you say but if this is not going to bother you than go for it....but as said you have to find the source of the leak to do this.

If it turns out the whole seal has become compromised then I would replace the rad mate !

Hope this helps and good luck. Keep us informed how you get on mate.

All the best

Nick

PS If you cannot find any crack/hole on the rad then check again the surrounding components as it really is weird this all began after a simple coolant change where hoses/clips have been disturbed !
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Alanb67

Post by Alanb67 »

Thanks for the detailed reply....much obliged. I drained a bit of water from the rad so i will start it up and check it out over the weekend. I dont think thete is an actual crack in the rad, it just seems to leak right across the top. I wouldn't put rad weld or anything in the system, if the rads gone i will replace it.
Thanks again.