Full Quad Light Conversion

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Full Quad Light Conversion

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

Well its been a while due to work/personal commitments but I finally found time to pop over to John (taff50ish) this afternoon for him to upgrade my lights to FULL Quads. 4 Side Lights, 4 Dipped Beam and 4 Full Beam :)

Some of you will recall a while back John very kindly upgraded my standard lights to quads but at the time we could not set up the 4 Dipped Beams so I had 1 Dipped Beam/ 1 Side light on each side which was still a great Quad set up but not the "full" set up that John said he could do for me ata later date. That later date was today !

So some pics...

4 Side Lights
Image20171029_164710 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

4 Dipped Beam
Image20171029_164647 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

4 Main Beams
Image20171029_164753 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

The magic set up that John will be able to explain better than me. Fused with a 20a fuse. Have some 25a just in case but as we also upgraded the earth cables on each side John reckons the 20a should be fine
Image20171029_152353 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20171029_152326 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20171029_152258 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

So finally I now have a full Quad set up and boy do they look fantastic coupled with the crystal clear light units fitted with the Osram Nightbreaker bulbs ! These pics don't do them the full justice you can see in the flesh but hope you get the idea.

So just wanted to thank John again for his help. Top bloke ! Here is a pic it would be very rude of me not to add...Johns stunning 2.8i Special, recently detailed by himself...absolutely great job he has done...what a shine :D

Image20171029_154616 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20171029_154634 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Anyway had a brilliant afternoon and a superb drive home in the dark with my new quad upgrades. The four Dipped Beams with the Nightbreaker bulbs really do make a big difference over the standard set up and look bleedin cool as well....job well done John :applaud:

All the best now

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Full Quad Light Conversion

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
As always, excellent work by the lacquer red boys!
As you quite rightly say, the quad lights on dipped beams look simply awesome. John's additional wiring is a work of art too. :D
It appears as though John's been busy on his own car too....just look at that shine on his paintwork! 8-)

All the best,
Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:As always, excellent work by the lacquer red boys!
As you quite rightly say, the quad lights on dipped beams look simply awesome. John's additional wiring is a work of art too. :D .
Thanks Andrew. Nice one mate. The dipped beams with the Nightbreakers give off a fantastic piercing 'white' light mate that is a big improvement on the standard set up I had. John wired them up so its very simple to 'de-wire' and plug straight back into the light units to have the original set up...very clever indeed !
Andrew 2.8i wrote:It appears as though John's been busy on his own car too....just look at that shine on his paintwork! 8-)
Andrew the shine on Johns Special is amazing. He worked hard on it and got the stunning results his labour deserved. Another job well done John :applaud:

Thanks again for your kind comments Andrew

All the best

Nick
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

What a great job John has done and as always your car looks great Nick . I like to think that company’s that make a old car in to a new car with just slight up to date mods and that light conversion is just so right for the Capri .

Hoping we will all meet up next year.

Think you should do a night time you tube video for us OCD Capri mad club .

Also how much does it take to bribe John ?.....
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

An excellent conversion, looks great & a well worthwhile mod. Nice work :applaud:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:What a great job John has done
:agree: He has been a great help over the years I been on this forum. I noticed a house for sale today oposite him....bagsie I seen it first :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your comment on B112 mate. I was in great company with Johns stunning 2.8i Special.

Re the lights I think I said it before mate but I have always wondered why Ford fitted quad lights but only really decided to use the two outer ones without at least a factory upgrade option to 'quad up' all four. Yep back then the standard set up was perfectly adequate but four surely is better than two . Coverting to quads just seemed the polite thing to do :)
Jasonmarie wrote:Hoping we will all meet up next year.
:agree:
Caprifan Rob wrote:An excellent conversion, looks great & a well worthwhile mod. Nice work :applaud:
Hi Rob, thanks fella. Mind you mate at £30 (for four) those Osram Nightbreaker Bulbs are not cheap :shock: :lol: But no point in cutting corners. John told me how great they are and he weren't wrong ! They are brilliant, especially with the clear light units.

All the best chaps and yep already looking forward to meeting up with old friends and new and seeing everyones anazing Capris next year....weather permitting :lol:

Cheers

Nick
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

What a tidy and cool upgrade Nick. Deffo worthwhile and the wiring looks very professional.

I usually fit Nightbreakers to my daily's as they are for sure better than std. Worth the money IMHO. :agree:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

SmokeEm wrote:What a tidy and cool upgrade Nick. Deffo worthwhile and the wiring looks very professional.

I usually fit Nightbreakers to my daily's as they are for sure better than std. Worth the money IMHO. :agree:
Thanks very much Dave. Yep I am very pleased indeed with this upgrade. Just seems so right. John is very thorough and made a very tidy job of it. There are a few more wires tucked inside the headlight bowl but this is so I can pretty much return to the original set up by just unplugging the upgraded wiring/relays. Very clever indeed.

Dave I had never used Nightbreakers before and was really amazed at how good they are. Jeepers with all four main beams on its astonishing how much light they throw out :o :lol: Even the dipped beams have a lovely sharp white light. I may have to think about swapping out the side light bulbs for some 'whiter' ones. Mind you the standard 'yellow' type glow actually looks rather cool to with the clear lens.

Thanks again. All the best

Nick
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi All,

Yep, I am very happy with this little conversion to be honest. I also like the Relay block which holds the relays and the required fuse, (Once I've done all the wiring underneath.....) these blocks do lock together on a slide down the side, but as we were not screwing them in for a Permanent fixture, we just held them from sliding apart with the bit of tape you can see in the pic.

If in the Summer Nick still likes this conversion, I did say we can fix this to the inside of the Headlight bowl or the Inner Wing, so as to have easy access if a Fuse or Relay ever goes down!!! But these are top Automotive IP rated units, so should be trouble free!!! I've been using mine in all weather for some time now with no problems... Also, it's wired the same as Ford intended, so if you take your Key out, only the side lights stay on, so you should not flatten your Battery!!!
Jasonmarie wrote:Also how much does it take to bribe John ?.....
I could never accept a Bribe!!!! Beer Yes, a Bribe NO!!! :beer: :beer: :beer:
:xd: :xd: :xd:
Jasonmarie wrote:What a great job John has done and as always your car looks great Nick . I like to think that company’s that make a old car in to a new car with just slight up to date mods and that light conversion is just so right for the Capri .
Many thanks again, I cannot take all the credit though, it was Nick's idea and it ran away with me and I had to do it in the end!!!
SmokeEm wrote:What a tidy and cool upgrade Nick. Deffo worthwhile and the wiring looks very professional.

Many thanks Dave, It is a bit of a hobby & I used to do quite a bit of this too... As to the Nightbreakers, Yep, Defo one of the best out there currently, I fully agree!!!
Caprifan Rob wrote:An excellent conversion, looks great & a well worthwhile mod. Nice work :applaud:
Many thanks, I will say I did have Nick working away on this and he did a tip top job!!!

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Nick,
As always, excellent work by the lacquer red boys!
As you quite rightly say, the quad lights on dipped beams look simply awesome. John's additional wiring is a work of art too. :D
It appears as though John's been busy on his own car too....just look at that shine on his paintwork! 8-)
Many thanks Andrew, for the wiring and the shine comment, to be totally honest, getting the shine back on the Cappa was harder than knocking up the Conversion kit... It had totally gone grey haze all over, nightmare. But very happy with the results I will say, all Waxed up ready for the winter driving!!! :drive: :drive: :drive: Ekk!!!

Cheers for your comments on the shine too Nick, always great to hear this sort of praise from you with your shine!!! People, I really do struggle when helping Nick, as I don't know where to put my dirty hands under the Bonnet when I need to rest on something, as it's just a shiny under there as it is on top!!!

Back to the kit and I am not a professional as you all know, (I might have been mistaken for Lewis Collins once or twice though!!!??? :xd: :xd: :xd: ) but if anyone has any interest in this conversion, let me know and I'll see what I can do to help??? (Hope I'm allowed to say this in Rant & Rave???) Cheers for now all, Happy motoring,

John....
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Pretty slick. If I ever get rid of my BMW halo rings this is something I'd consider doing as well.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Arya2.0S wrote:Pretty slick. If I ever get rid of my BMW halo rings this is something I'd consider doing as well.
Thanks fella. Yep they are pretty slick indeed mate. Its amazing the difference they make especially with the Nightbreaker bulbs which are superb ! I am thinking to replace the side light bulbs with "white Leds" maybe to bring them up to date from the yellow glow sides at the moment. Watch this space !! I do also really like the BMW halo conversion you got too. Seen a few of these in the flesh now and they do look really really cool.

All the best

Nick
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

What headlamps and bulb holders did you order for these Nick ?
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Not_Anumber wrote:What headlamps and bulb holders did you order for these Nick ?
Hi mate.

I will check with John exactly what bulb holders he supplied for my quads and will let you know.

Regarding the light units themselves these are the ones I have fitted at the moment

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2327250099

However after seeing that John found some really nice Hella units with clear lens that he fitted to his Capri I bought a set of four of these myself. These are the Hella units

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1940222731

Yep a bit of a price difference but you really can see the quality of the Hella units and John said they fit without any fettling as with the other ones. Dont forget for full quads you need to buy two pairs !

I have not fitted the new Hella ones yet as I will do this at the same time as I fit my nos backing plates I bought recently along with some lovely power coated mounting rings I bought from Martin at Capri Gear :)

Watch this space. I will update my update of my update :lol:

Hope this info is useful to you.

All the best

Nick
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi there,

Yep, as Nick has posted, either of these headlight units work. The more expensive Hella units do not list the Capri as a fit, but they do. Both units are held in exactly the same way as the original units, by the ring, they have the positioning lugs to get them true, the only slightly different part is the glass, this protrudes forward of the unit, so fitting the plastic Bezle back can be fun, you could of course just wind the units back in on the adjusters to give you that 3 to 4mm back, then the bezels slip on a treat.... As you will have to set the realignment anyway. Nick did spot this, I had kept struggling on.... :doh: :doh: :doh: Sometimes you just can't see the wood for the trees!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Bulbs are H4 units, I've kept the original headlight plug, which used to plug into the cap, which fitted on the rear of the old unit, where you used to connect to the side light bulb and dip bulb etc. We removed the Side light feed from this plug and connected the side light separately, so if this relay set up ever failed, or you didn't have a fuse etc. You can unplug the headlight new H4 connector, unplug the feed from the original plug and then just plug this straight into the new units as they are, Dip only though, as the main plug is only 2 point, but I will check if this will match... The only difference being the side light feed will still be rerouted, but unaffected... I wanted to make this as simple as possible, with as little intrusion as possible so it's a straight forward and quick process to go back to standard... But also so simple to get home if it did ever fail...

I hope this answers your question, I will double chech the compatibility on the Main H4 connector / original plug feed and let you know. Cheers, please ask if I can help any more, or Nick... Cheers chaps...

John...