Digital Insrument Cluster

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Digital Insrument Cluster

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

Some of you might recall me mention these digital clocks previously in a stunning Capri Cabaret II owned by Calvin Ware from the Surrey Capri Club. A few here have seen these in the flesh and they really do look stunning. I have seen them a few times now and each time I still marvel at how great they look. Anyway Calvin is actually starting to sell these for £420. Yep not cheap at all but they really do look stunning. He has posted up a few pics over on facebook but as he says the pics don't really do then justice at how superb they actually look in the flesh. I thought some of you here might be interested in seeing them...

Here are the Blue ones he has made up either for himself or a potential buyer I think...

ImageFB_IMG_1508327155488 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1508327167990 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

He has these green ones for sale...

ImageFB_IMG_1508327283859 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Yep I know some of you purists will not be too excited about these but honestly when I first heard Calvin had fitted some digital clocks I was very sceptical whether they would look right and blend in. After seeing them working for real they really do look great. As said these pics really do not show how superb they actually do look in his Capri but you get an idea how he has set them up.

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Re: Digital Insrument Cluster

Post by SmokeEm »

They look fantastic!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I think these look fantastic, and£420 isn't too much to pay for what it is.
Green looks best, in my eyes.

Do they use the same multiplug as the regular clocks? Just plug and play?

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

SmokeEm wrote:They look fantastic!
Dave they really do look even better after seeing them fitted and working in Calvins Capri. Seen them for the first time when me and John met up with him at a RSFFE breakfast meet a while back. Both of us were blown away how brilliant they looked. Neil seen them too. Calvin says he is selling them as pretty much a plug and play kit that uses the original wiring loom so no cutting required. The speedo plugs in as normal with a speedo drive he fits. I am totally quoting him on this as I am useless with electrics so not quite sure how he has made up these kits to work.
Andrew 2.8i wrote:I think these look fantastic, and£420 isn't too much to pay for what it is.
Green looks best, in my eye.
Yep totally agree Andrew. The cost may put some off but i think its very reasonable for the stunning end result. He says the exchange rate, shipping costs and customs charges hinders him charging less but he would if he could by the sound of it so hes not really in it to make loads of money.
I personally really love the Blue Andrew. Very modern and sharp looking i think. I am guessing that Calvin can prob make them in other set up colours like Red or Yellow too ?

All the best chaps

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I really don’t know as I like the old fashion gauges
I guess if the Capri has been modified then it’s ok ,
So I would be a No vote .

Good find nick
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:I really don’t know as I like the old fashion gauges
So do I, but I think it's great that somebody even came up with the idea in the first place. Then to take that idea and to invest time and money in getting it to work is to be commended. I think that a few owners would like this modern interpretation of the original design.

Andrew.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
So do I, but I think it's great that somebody even came up with the idea in the first place. Then to take that idea and to invest time and money in getting it to work is to be commended. I think that a few owners would like this modern interpretation of the original design.

Andrew.
:agree: I like to see it how it left the factory, but I admire Calvin for designing it. They are really impressive when you see them in the flesh and would definitely be a good buy for anyone who likes to modify their car.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

sheff wrote:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:

Andrew.
:agree: I like to see it how it left the factory, but I admire Calvin for designing it. They are really impressive when you see them in the flesh and would definitely be a good buy for anyone who likes to modify their car.
The best part about it is that it's the same look externally so it's relatively subtle.... Also it looks/sounds like a relatively easy change to go from one to another should you want to change it back again at a later stage at all so it is kinda tempting!
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
panch
Car(s): Ford capri 2.0 ltr Laser

Post by panch »

I wont one pm me :cool:
Mrbaboon1985
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser (Daily Driver)

Post by Mrbaboon1985 »

can you still get hold of these??
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:05 pm Hi all,

Some of you might recall me mention these digital clocks previously in a stunning Capri Cabaret II owned by Calvin Ware from the Surrey Capri Club. A few here have seen these in the flesh and they really do look stunning. I have seen them a few times now and each time I still marvel at how great they look. Anyway Calvin is actually starting to sell these for £420. Yep not cheap at all but they really do look stunning. He has posted up a few pics over on facebook but as he says the pics don't really do then justice at how superb they actually look in the flesh. I thought some of you here might be interested in seeing them...

Here are the Blue ones he has made up either for himself or a potential buyer I think...

ImageFB_IMG_1508327155488 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

ImageFB_IMG_1508327167990 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

He has these green ones for sale...

ImageFB_IMG_1508327283859 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Yep I know some of you purists will not be too excited about these but honestly when I first heard Calvin had fitted some digital clocks I was very sceptical whether they would look right and blend in. After seeing them working for real they really do look great. As said these pics really do not show how superb they actually do look in his Capri but you get an idea how he has set them up.

All the best

Nick
They look real good Nick ,specially if its plug and play .
I have been thinking about something similar as my dash is very 2nd hand . I can get the gauges ok and I was thinking about trying to make a dash out of brushed aluminium .
Does the speedo have an odometer? A lot of the ones I see are aimed at racing cars and dont have the odo , which I would need for a road car . Stupid thing is I have to have an odo but it can say whatever milage I like when I get it certified .......so much for recording accurate milage .🤔
Cheers Nick
Sometimes I talk to myself ... and we both have a good laugh
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

It was 4 years ago Hamish, and on a quick sear ch I couldn`t find anything?
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1980 mk3 capri 2l ohc T9 , Toyota Blade Master 3.5l V6, Paso , 850T,rd400, 900ss

Post by Mc Tool »

I guess one guy would get sick of it eventually , specially if he was juggling home life too.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Mrbaboon1985 wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:51 am can you still get hold of these??
I know Calvin Ware is, or was, a member of the Surrey Capri Club. It might be worth messaging him through there to see if he can still supply one.
http://www.surreycapriclub.co.uk/
https://en-gb.facebook.com/groups/SurreyCapriClubUK/

I'm sure Paul G used to be the treasurer of the club, it might be worth sending him a PM to see if he might have some contact details for Calvin.
:goodluck:

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Calvin stood down from his role a couple of years ago and I'm no longer treasurer. Due to covid etc I haven't been to a club meet even though tte first one since the end of the lock down was held tonight.

Calvin still is a member of the club.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Never saw this thread first time round. The biggest question I have is how much dimmer control do they have? My eyes are very sensitive and at night I need my instruments nice and dark, just a faint glow.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

My eyes used to get pretty sensitive after blazing , just used to wear the mirrored sunnies 🕶️ , also indeispencible for checking hooters without getting slapped.😁
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I think Calvin Jas stopped making these - the cost was extortionate as a lot of the parts came from the US and it was costing him a mint.

Last I heard he had one left but that was several months ago now

I agree with Tom - I like not knowing what any of the gauges say at night, it makes it more fun when you break down and have to guess what's wrong with it
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

D366Y wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:11 pm

I agree with Tom - I like not knowing what any of the gauges say at night, it makes it more fun when you break down and have to guess what's wrong with it
:lol:

Only my speedo, fuel and temp gauges wotk now :cry:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Mc Tool
Donator
Donator

Post by Mc Tool »

Tom , how about a layer of that window tint film over the dash .....maybe 🤔😀