One for Nige?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

One for Nige?

Post by Peter-S »

We went to a small ruined castle today. A bit off the beaten track but a couple of properties nearby. We parked up 100 yards down the road from the castle just before a house where a black lab was sitting watch us park. He waited whilst we sorted ourselves out then as we got out the car he got up and ran a little way up the hill. He checked we were still coming and ran to the castle entrance where he stopped and waited. Certain that we were still following he went in to the grounds and sat patiently while we read the history board. As we entered proper he was up again and led us to the path that went up to the castle walls. He kept stopping until he was sure we were following to the top then kept with us as we had a look around and admired the views over the adjacent loch. Then he led us back down again. Thinking we would catch him out we headed for a small path that went down to a shingle beach next to the castle but he cottoned on and went ahead leading us to the beach as well, staying with us as we took a few photos. When it was clear we were heading back he led the way again.
He was leading us to the exit when he realised that a couple of other people had come in and gone up to the ruins whilst we were on the beach so he headed off up the path to give the a tour as well.
Although the castle is National Trust it's unmanned. Presumably this amazing dog tries to make up for it. I could almost imagine Nige training him.

ImageDSCF3099 by Peter Smith, on Flickr

ImageDSCF3108 by Peter Smith, on Flickr
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Re: One for Nige?

Post by Major_Tom »

Ahh yes, I have heard of that local legend. Apparently, an olde shepherd had a black labrador, very much like the one in those pictures. It was late August, I believe, the year of our Lord 1739. Whilst on his way back to his hut, with his dog Bounder, after a few dark ales, the olde shepherd was sure heard a scream above the roar and hiss of the ocean against the rocks. Distant. Desperate. It was a fine night, just a thin fog rolling in from the sea, which served to carry what he was becoming sure was a young lady's wretched cry upon the salty air. The shepherd grasped his staff, and set off to investigate. He checked the castle ruins, the surrounding area, but with every step, he seemed to get no closer. The cries became more urgent. More chilling. He eventually staggered towards the bay, following the sound as he had followed so many distressed cries from his herd. Alas, when he arrived, breathless, feet sinking into that accursed shingle, sucking the last vestiges of energy from him, he came upon the terrible scene: a young lady, lifeless in the salty swell, two cutthroats standing above her, her fine coat and purse in their bloody hands. He saw from the horrifying rictus about her, she had been fleeing these men, that is why her cries had got no closer. He had followed and now arrived, breathless and fatigued, at the mercy of these young murderers, who even now turned, grinning, malevolent, in his direction. The shepherd was knocked to the ground and drowned as the robbers escaped.

The villagers were led to his body by the faithful, pining Bounder. It is said that Bounder never left castle grounds, roaming, waiting, seeking to draw the locals and travellers to the site of that terrible act, bound in eternal duty to try and atone for the failure to protect his master.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Peter, Tom, you chaps have turned me into an emotional wreck. I cannot drive my bus through the tears :crying:

Two stories linked by fate.

Peter yours is amazing and wonderful. Tom yours is harrowing and sad.

I feel I need to visit this castle with my wife no matter how long the voyage is....I will tell her tonight. I want to see Bounder the Labrador. I want to throw him a stick, give him a bone and let him guide us tbrough the castle. But I also want to pay my respects to the poor girl murdered in terrible conditions and left to be absorbed in the history of this land forever. I also feel the need to honour the shepherd who through no fault of his own could not save her.

Maybe one day Bounder will meet his owner once again. This is my wish..... :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

Two telling tales, thanks chaps!
A bit of a shame that Doggles didn't hang about long enough for you to give him a biscuit or a crust off one of your picnic sarnies but he would surely have been just as content on his next guiding job. As you all know well, these shooting companions are among the most intelligent of dog breeds so nothing would surprise me. It looks like a Flatcoat Retriever which is the separate, leaner black version of the Golden Retriever - both being well renowned as the most loyal of any dog breed.
As usual Major Tom, your vivid composition set the scene and told the tale. If you listen, you can still hear that hiss of the ocean spray against those rocks...