Major Cock up

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Major Cock up

Post by Paul G »

I could happily go and jump off a bridge and throw my f**ing Laser off with me. Last Saturday I sprayed the right hand side and the front panel;- the paint went on lovely and would only need minor denibbing and a mop polish. Thought I was well on the home straight towards finishing it.

Yesterday I realised that the paint hadn't hardened properly, when you touched it it left finger prints in it etc then I realised that when mixing the (2 pack) paint, tit here had mixed it 4:1, the same as the primer, when it should be 2:1 paint to activator. I could have screamed :swear: and felt that I was past it and should not be let loose near another classic car again. Schoolboy error! :doh: Went and cut the lawn to calm down.

Now sitting in the garage with a gallon of gunwash thinners and loads of rags wiping it all off to start again. Muppet!

At least I admit making a cock up, I bet many don't!
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Re: Major Cock up

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Paul. Dont beat yourself up over it mate. Its one of those things mate and very easy to do ! At least its easily sorted albeit a bit of a pain. I still would have thought it would have dried/hardened after a week but obviously not and the nights have been pretty damp/chilly this week.

Its great you are doing all this work yourself Paul. Cant wait to see it finished. Keep up the excellent work on your Laser fella :)

Paul :goodluck: with getting it sorted mate. You will laugh at this.....just not now :)

All the best Paul
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Admitting to cockups is fine, its people who don't admit to them to save face and think nobody else knows, when it's bleeding obvious!
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I always mix 2k to 4:1 and its dry within 10 minutes (at least dry enough to de-mask), rock hard for rubbing down the next day. I wonder why yours was different?
Still its only paint, i know its not the point but it can always be stripped down and done again.
Alanb67
Car(s): Ford capri 1.6L

Post by Alanb67 »

Dont worry to much about it. Most of us have cocked it up at some point. You'll get thete in the end. :D
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Paul G wrote:I could happily go and jump off a bridge and throw my f**ing Laser off with me. Last Saturday I sprayed the right hand side and the front panel;- the paint went on lovely and would only need minor denibbing and a mop polish. Thought I was well on the home straight towards finishing it.

Yesterday I realised that the paint hadn't hardened properly, when you touched it it left finger prints in it etc then I realised that when mixing the (2 pack) paint, tit here had mixed it 4:1, the same as the primer, when it should be 2:1 paint to activator. I could have screamed :swear: and felt that I was past it and should not be let loose near another classic car again. Schoolboy error! :doh: Went and cut the lawn to calm down.

Now sitting in the garage with a gallon of gunwash thinners and loads of rags wiping it all off to start again. Muppet!

At least I admit making a cock up, I bet many don't!

Got her repainted today and all went on fine. A bit of denibbing and a machine polish and it will be as good as new.

Now just got to finish the bonnet and put the car back together. Still got a list that covers one side of A4 in small writing. Getting there though, will put up a proper build thread sometime soon.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Paul G wrote:A bit of denibbing and a machine polish and it will be as good as new.
What is your usual process for that Paul? I mean, specifically which products would you be using.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

pbar wrote:
Paul G wrote:A bit of denibbing and a machine polish and it will be as good as new.
What is your usual process for that Paul? I mean, specifically which products would you be using.
Spraying in a home single garage you can't stop bits of dust (nibs) settling in the paint whilst it dries. What I do is using a sanding block and 2000 grit wet and dry I sand down the new paint to get rid of the dust marks. I use a bar of soap which I rub on the sandpaper to allow it to glide smoothly over the paint and stop it scratching, re- dipping it it the water regularly.

When the paint is flat I go over it with my machine polisher using Farecla G3 liquid compound and plenty of water from a trigger spray bottle to stop the polishing maching digging in to the paint.

It can take a long time to flatten and polish the side of a car doing it properly (the other side took me all day) and it is a messy business with the liquid compound getting flicked off the polishing machine but it really is the best way of getting a good finish on the paint. It is also a way of getting rid of orange peel paint and runs.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Excellent, thank you Paul.
Car(s): Concours 280

Post by 280. »

Completely irrelevant but this thread title reminded me of this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMudn717oY :lol:
I used to have a natty little signature here but it's gone now on account of Photobucket being a shower of shit. True story.