Applecross Pass

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Applecross Pass

Post by Peter-S »

I'd never heard of this until this morning. Googling somewhere to drive out to as it was raining I dismissed this as the cloud was on the hills and it seemed pointless but then it dried up, the sun came out so we set off. What a road, looked much like the Alps when you see it on tv. A few miles of single track, steep gradients and hairpin bends - and a nice pub at the end :D . Only downside was the Capris were 700 miles away!

ImageDSCF2988 by Peter Smith, on Flickr

ImageDSCF2993 by Peter Smith, on Flickr

ImageDSCF2994 by Peter Smith, on Flickr
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Re: Applecross Pass

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi Peter,

Wow ! That road looks absolutely amazing mate. Stunning scenery ! No wonder you were pining for your Capri's as that road is just crying out for one, but nonetheless I bet it was one of those drives you wont forget in a hurry. Lucky you !! Fantastic pictures Peter.

Hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday :)

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I saw a programme a couple of years ago about snowplough drivers try to clear the Applecross pass. It looked rather different when covered in 6 feet of snow.

Bet it's a lovely road to drive though.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Peter,
What beautiful scenery, as you say the photos could almost be mistaken for ones of an Alpine pass.
The road looks a little narrow and unforgiving for having too much fun on ......

Andrew.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Beautiful. Imagine traipsing along there in the snow a few hundred years back "arrr, no carriage driver would dare make that journey in this blizzard..." what was the pub like Peter? Was it olde?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Major_Tom wrote:Beautiful. Imagine traipsing along there in the snow a few hundred years back "arrr, no carriage driver would dare make that journey in this blizzard..." what was the pub like Peter? Was it olde?
The road was originally built for driving cattle. We have it easy today don't we!

Not an 'olde' pub Tom but on a sunny day especially it is a fab location with loads of out door seating overlooking the bay. Friendly staff and a very good selection of home made food :D
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr