Tickover delivery

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
EightyFive
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1985

Tickover delivery

Post by EightyFive »

Been a bit hesitant to post about this in the past as I really can't fault the quality of the products, however their delivery service is really doing my head in!

Why is the only option for 'first class fedex'? At a minimum this adds on £4.50-£6 per order in my experience as it is weight dependant. What's worse is I've had it in many cases where delivery isn't even next day, such as now where I've been waiting two days and had to pay £10 for delivery alone. If I'm paying a tenner for delivery (for items that aren't even that heavy mind you) I damn well want it next day tbh. I've ordered things off ebay with free delivery that have arrived quicker... Why can't there be a standard 3-5 day service which is either free or just a couple of quid? As a result I often find myself having to make orders of atleast £20 or more just to make it worth the delivery price. It's 2017 after all and their website & delivery service seem to still be stuck in 2007.

I really want to support tickover; like I said they have great quality stock but I'm fed up with getting shafted on delivery (mainly the price). I will be re-wording this and sending it to them directly (genuinely want to be constructive and not just moan). Any other recommended suppliers out there which are as trustworthy while offering a better & cheaper delivery service?
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Re: Tickover delivery

Post by sheff »

If you think Tickover are expensive wait till you order off CCI :o

I know what your saying though order anything else off the internet and it can with you the next day and more often than not its free. I ordered some bits off Euro Car Parts once, standard free delivery and it was with me within 2 hours as the local store put it on a van and dropped it off on their rounds :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I don't normally stick up for anybody but postage prices have gone up so much as i have started using hermes to do my deliver work to save on money but then you still have to add packaging as the cost of this has increased . And I found I have mine pick up of which they pick up every other day so a order can take 3 days to leave my home and a Friday order can take longer .

I feel Tickover prices are very good and they are the cheapest to post out of all the car places and also how they find time to post out and work on people's cars I don't know .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I agree their prices for postage, as well as CCI are exorbitant to say the least, and things haven't got that much more expensive, especially when other people seem to manage it perfectly fine for less and offer better options and services.
Like the OP said i think its just a case of stubbornness and being stuck in the past, plus it gives them a way of earning a bit extra on top of the already huge markup Capri parts tend to have already.
EightyFive
Donator
Donator

Post by EightyFive »

Jasonmarie wrote:I don't normally stick up for anybody but postage prices have gone up so much as i have started using hermes to do my deliver work to save on money but then you still have to add packaging as the cost of this has increased . And I found I have mine pick up of which they pick up every other day so a order can take 3 days to leave my home and a Friday order can take longer .

I feel Tickover prices are very good and they are the cheapest to post out of all the car places and also how they find time to post out and work on people's cars I don't know .
I don't particularly have a problem with the first class delivery (as long it's reliable), but I'm just more baffled that there is no other option. Especially in this day and age when, as Arya said, other companies manage this just fine.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Please wait 28 days for delivery.

Those were the days :)
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I can't comment on what others quote but the shipping options I have are Royal Mail - small parcels up to 2kg, Parcel Force or Fed Ex for anything over.
It's frustrating for me when you have a small heavy parcel and the shipping is over £10 for U.K mainland but we don't set the tariffs so you're slagging off the wrong people really.
Plus there's the packing time, materials etc to factor in as well, the parcels just don't wrap themselves and if it's Royal Mail or Parcelforce then the parcels have to be delivered to the Post Office. It all adds up in time so has to be accounted for.
Another thing that you're probably not aware of that if you are V.A.T registered then there's V.A.T added to the postage/packing. Luckily I am not registered so there is that saving.
There are really cheap couriers advertising nowadays but I have been using Fed ex for years and they're not the cheapest but I trust them to take care of the items that I send.
The problem is that as usual people see a price for carriage and straightaway assume that it's a rip off. It's not until you look at the whole picture and break it all down that you will see a different view.
You could always not bother paying for carriage and always collect your parts in person but I guarantee that you will not get very far in fuel and time with the savings in the carriage charges.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Martin is right I just bought the lumber of you on eBay and felt stupid as ebay and paypal take so much money and your pp was spot on .
Prices have gone up so much for even food and stupid stuff but some people on eBay sell stuff with like £50 postage what is taking the """""""
But some people sell like a wheel for £50 with free postage and I really don't know how they do it .

The good thing is we can still get the parts because if that stopped we would all be stuffed .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

What you will find is that the couriers will volumise packages over a certain size, take a bonnet for instance, the volume cost is way more than if it was going simply on weight then there's the time and packing materials used in packaging the part.
As I said previously, we don't set the charges and I am very wary of using the cheap couriers as I don't know how they would handle a damaged or lost consignment.
As for selling a wheel for £50 with free postage - that's easy, the postage is in with the price. E Bay in particular encourage sellers to include free carriage as it looks better in the listing but everyone knows there's no such thing as free postage, somebody always pays
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

I've had bad experiences with cheap couriers - they are cheap for a reason. At least with Royal Mail or a large courier firm there's a degree of protection and an expected level of service.
Saving a couple of quid on postage and then, potentially, spending a great deal of time trying to sort out a claim for a damaged part because your cheapo courier has thrown it carelessly into his van, strikes me as cutting off your nose to spite your face.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Had the same with Demon Tweeks recently. Postage was £8 or something for a hose (in a jiffy bag) as the "economy" option. I was sure it was a mistake, so I contacted customer services but they weren't having it :banghead: :swear: Won't be using them again unless I can avoid it.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I'd be more inclined to complain about the postage costs if the service was shoddy. As it is, I'm more than happy to pay a few extra pounds to ensure that my purchases reach me in good condition and on time.

As Martin points out, it's only fair that the postage costs include the price of the materials and don't forget that Tickover, Demon Tweeks or whoever, have to pay somebody to take the time to pick and package the items.

Bear in mind economies of scale too. Often more than one item can be posted for no extra cost. Wait until you need a few items from a particular seller then purchase them together.

Andrew.
EightyFive
Donator
Donator

Post by EightyFive »

Some interesting points raised to be fair, some that I hadn't considered like the packing materials cost. And now my initial rant is over I'm thinking rationally now. I would however still like the option of an alternative cheaper courier though... I'd obviously accept the risks that come with that.

As has been said though, the parts are reliable and I trust them, just annoying when I need to buy a set of points for example and know it's going to cost me an extra £4.50 or so. I suppose in this industry though beggars can't be choosers (well I suppose they can actually, just have to risk the ebay tat!).