Capri Mat Sets

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Capri Mat Sets

Post by pbar »

Whilst at a show (Tatton Park) this weekend, one of the stalls was selling bespoke mats, made to fit. At only £15 for a full set of four, made in a choice of carpet or thick rubber, I took a look. He had templates for a lot of models, including the Capri. I ordered one for a van, and it came yesterday, amazingly quick delivery. I would definitely recommend. I have only ever used universal mats for the Capri, but they are often more expensive than these tailored ones. He did a boot mat for the Capri also, again £15, plus £5 if you need it posting. Worth thinking about at that kind of price.

andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Capri Mat Sets

Post by andyd »

Looks good and a great price.
I have bought tailormabe rubber mats in the past, as genuine prices are :spank: And they are only to put your feet on.Halfords ones in the Sierra :lol:

Although I did buy a dash mat with Sierra XR4x4 on it, from a chap on F/B :D Great to protect from the sun (When we get any).
He could do them for the Capri if he had a template. He lives in Leeds if anyone could lend him there car to take measurements etc......
pbar

Post by pbar »

He does do them for the Capri already Andy. A full mat set (£15) as well as a boot one (£15).
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:He does do them for the Capri already Andy. A full mat set (£15) as well as a boot one (£15).
Hi Paul,
I was talking about the dash mat not floor mats :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:
pbar wrote:He does do them for the Capri already Andy. A full mat set (£15) as well as a boot one (£15).
Hi Paul,
I was talking about the dash mat not floor mats :)
:) Ah, no problem Andy. And yes, given sizes/shapes or whatever he will produce anything you want, for any application, he told me that. The rubber (which is the one I got for the van) seems really good quality.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I looked for him on Facebook and found him under the name of Mark Dawson. Ive messaged him about buying a set of mats. Not having a website will be holding him back.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Yes, hopefully he will have a website at some point. You can always text him though, he seems to reply quickly. And you're correct, Mark Dawson it is.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Hope this is the right place to post this but would you pay £850 for a new set of rubber mats ?

Check this out on eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253147492654

I thought I would get some for the mot as they get in the car with there big dirty boots . And found these I only want the front set .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Check this out on eBay

I thought I would get some for the mot as they get in the car with there big dirty boots . And found these I only want the front set .
Hi,
Great Find!
A lot of people do ask if anybody has a set of these for sale, they appear to be much in demand. I'm sure there are plenty of people who would love to own these to put in their pristine cars. However, I'm not sure anyone would want to pay that much for a set, even for what must be the only NOS set in existence.

Andrew.
EightyFive
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1985

Post by EightyFive »

Jasonmarie wrote:Hope this is the right place to post this but would you pay £850 for a new set of rubber mats ?

Check this out on eBay

Not a chance in hell, original or not. Think about what you're actually paying for: A thin piece of rubber to be trod on for 850 quid. That cost more than my capri.

Obviously everyone will have their own opinions but that is just stupid money for what it is, regardless of originality. Save the cash or invest it jnto the car elsewhere.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I have a hidden :evil: devil in me to offer £30 and see what happens

Will have to be done really sorry if your on here but as a fan of Charles dickens it's almost like greed having all the pie and you say you sold your 280 for the most money in the country so you can not be to short of a few bob and I have 3 kids to feed along with a dog & the cat also I feed my mother in law on Boxing Day .

This might work will keep you all posted .
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:I have a hidden :evil: devil in me to offer £30 and see what happens

Will have to be done really sorry if your on here but as a fan of Charles dickens it's almost like greed having all the pie and you say you sold your 280 for the most money in the country so you can not be to short of a few bob and I have 3 kids to feed along with a dog & the cat also I feed my mother in law on Boxing Day .

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51422

As said, for 4 pieces of rubber to put your feet on, at £100 I would have to think hard! IMO once you take them out of the bags you will lose money anyway....
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

That's mad. I thought the CCi carpet ones were dear at £40 but blow that. Anyone that takes originality to that extreme must want their head read.

Matey's had one record in selling his 280 for a high price, now it seems he's after another one!

That's more than I paid for my whole, running Laser 18 months ago!
EightyFive
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1985

Post by EightyFive »

Jasonmarie wrote:I have a hidden :evil: devil in me to offer £30 and see what happens

I offered £30 and it was instantly rejected (I assume automatically)

Afterwards I decided to stop being so tight, they are valuable items after all so I upped my bid... to £31.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I did £30 pounds and it declined straight away £850 for car mats must be a record .
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Mats are mats.
I think rubber mats look toss in anything that's not a truck, or a Land Rover.
Much rather have carpet ones.
Not sure the market is that big for people who want rubber mats, and are happy spending £850 on them.

An original parcel tray for big money I kind of get, as its a rare thing. But mats, in rubber, what's the big deal?
Car(s): Concours 280

Post by 280. »

I knew this would raise some reaction, don't they always!?! I’d be lying if I said it doesn’t amuse me a little bit. It’s funny, the front mats raised much the same reaction when I bought those several years ago...

People would bite my hand off for what I paid for them which was considered “ridiculous” just a few years ago. Nostalgia is what attracts us to the cars but that shouldn’t be confused with being stuck in the past. The prices of the best cars and parts continue to rise at a rate that many can barely keep up with.

Are they expensive? Oh yes, without doubt. However, if I were a wealthy man with a car collection and a couple of the best examples of Capri’s, would I buy them? Yes, I would after all, if you want a brand new set and are in the pursuit of perfection where else are you going to find them? If I were starting my 280 again, would I buy them? I’d be sorely tempted and would certainly make a respectful offer and that’s how I reached my price. As with the sale of my car itself, the market will either agree with that price or not, time will tell.

Its horses for courses I’m afraid and that’s a fact, as is that I was priced out of my own car. If I were a millionaire or even just very wealthy, it would still be in my garage now. The benefit of what I stood to get from my 280 and therefore be able to do for my family vastly outweighed the benefit the car made to me personally and so it had to go.

What money I got for it or what money I have has no relevance to this sale at all. You don't know what my circumstances are, I could be selling up all my Capri stuff to stop my house being repossessed having been made redundant or unable to work through illness for all you know. Regardless, we all go through life looking to do the best we can for ourselves and our families and I am no different. I will shortly be selling 3 of my motorbikes and the pricing of those funnily enough will not take in to account what I made on my Capri. I will probably move next year and I won’t even mention the car to the estate agent. ;) :lol:

Incidentally, I listed another pair of immaculate used rubber mats at the same time with a starting bid under £10 and free postage. Like I say, horses for courses...

Wish me luck! :D
I used to have a natty little signature here but it's gone now on account of Photobucket being a shower of shit. True story.
pbar

Post by pbar »

With all the comments and goading that this has raised (most of which a lot of us will agree with as regards to the price you have placed these at, although granted, I am unlikely to see another set in my lifetime), it is still very nice to see such a well mannered and respectful reply. So full credit to you for that. And yes, I for one will wish you good luck in your sale :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I also take my hat of to you and wish you the best in selling the car mats as you say somebody will buy them with money being not important to them I checked how much Aston martin charged for a set of car mats leather https://www.astonmartin.com/en/accessor ... floor-mats

Funny how only 30 years they were sitting in every ford dealers at £20 a set .

I do wonder if our capris are worth more in parts then the whole car ?
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:I do wonder if our capris are worth more in parts then the whole car ?
I think you could be right about that.

Andrew.