Oven Cleaner!

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
EightyFive
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1985

Oven Cleaner!

Post by EightyFive »

As I decided to give my inlet manifold a good clean up yesterday, I searched around for the best way to do this... A product popped up that I hadn't even considered before: Oven cleaner!

Here's what I started with:
This is the only picture I took of 'before' the clean, but you get the idea of the overall condition!

Basically I used this foam spray: https://goo.gl/images/3XzVFK Essentially it's very similar to the gel, however it foams and expands, very useful for getting into the ports of the manifold. I coated the thing completely in every nook and cranny I could and let it sit for approx. 20 minutes. Afterwards I gave it a thorough scrub with a stiff brush, sprayed it some more and left it for another five minutes. This is what it looked like after power washing it down for the first time:

I repeated the process 2 more times (although only leaving it for 10 mins this time). Now I could have left it like this, but decided to take it one step further and give the whole thing a thorough going over with a wirebrush attachment on a dremel, this was the final result:

Thought I would share as this is something I'd never thought of, the whole process only took me an hour - an hour and a half, obviously with most things the longer you spend, the better the end result! I was happy enough however with the finish so left it be. Hope this helps some of you.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Re: Oven Cleaner!

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi,

WOW ! Stunning results there fella. :applaud: :applaud:

What a brilliant recommendation mate. I recently gave my carb manifold a bit of a clean whilst in situ with some degreaser and small wire brush and it turned out nice but nowhere near as stunning as yours. Methinks this is a product I may try too especially as its on every supermarket shelf !! Who would have thought this would clean a manifold...apart from your good self of course :lol:

Great heads up mate. Nice one ! :)

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I've seen oven cleaner used to clean diesel egr valves but never thought of it to clean a manifold. Sure looks like a good result and worth a try in future!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

That is a brilliant result. I'd not have thought of using it as a general cleaner for oil grime on petrol engines but I will now.

As Paul says it works absolute wonders on diesel engines. Ive used oven cleaner to very good effect around diesel injectors a couple of times. The fine mist which comes out of the combustion chamber, where an injector seal has failed, settles and hardens into a thick gunge midway between tar and coal. if left to build up for too long the injector becomes glued in place to the extent it cant even be extracted with a slide hammer. However, a can of oven cleaner dissolves it nicely turning a horrible job into an easy one.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Fantastic results and thanks for the tip.
I'm guessing that oven cleaner is a lot cheaper than Gunk?

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Brilliant result :applaud:
EightyFive
Donator
Donator

Post by EightyFive »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,

Andrew.
Can't say for sure, it was about £4 for a can, but I'm sure you can get cheaper, non branded stuff that would work just as well.

I intend to try it on the block next time it's out the car before I paint it, probably wouldn't use it on a painted surface though.
sheff
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 2.8 Injection (Driving Project)

Post by sheff »

EightyFive wrote:

Andrew.
Can't say for sure, it was about £4 for a can, but I'm sure you can get cheaper, non branded stuff that would work just as well.

I intend to try it on the block next time it's out the car before I paint it, probably wouldn't use it on a painted surface though.
Gunk is an engine degreaser with a corrosion inhibitor, where as oven cleaner has a caustic acid in it which has attacked the carbon build up on the manifold. I'm sure the results wouldn't have been so impressive just using Gunk or a similar engine cleaner.

A word of caution, the oven cleaner will attack the aluminum, so make sure its well rinsed off after to prevent any corrosion. Great results however, now its got me thinking what can I use it on :D
EightyFive
Donator
Donator

Post by EightyFive »

sheff wrote:
EightyFive wrote:

Andrew.

Gunk is an engine degreaser with a corrosion inhibitor, where as oven cleaner has a caustic acid in it which has attacked the carbon build up on the manifold. I'm sure the results wouldn't have been so impressive just using Gunk or a similar engine cleaner.

A word of caution, the oven cleaner will attack the aluminum, so make sure its well rinsed off after to prevent any corrosion. Great results however, now its got me thinking what can I use it on :D
Agreed, that's where the power washer comes into play. I'd also only leave it on for a max of 20 mins or so, reducing that down for thinner metals/ materials. But as they say if in doubt, test in a small inconspicuous area first.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

[QUOTE="Sheff"]Gunk is an engine degreaser with a corrosion inhibitor, where as oven cleaner has a caustic acid in it which has attacked the carbon build up on the manifold. I'm sure the results wouldn't have been so impressive just using Gunk or a similar engine cleaner/quote]
I find that most of the crud on engine components is quite easily removed with gunk and a toothbrush (an old one, of course!). Then again, most of my stuff isn't too bad to begin with.

Andrew.
TROLL
Car(s): ANYTHING I CAN STEAL OR FAILING THAT A SIERRA

Post by TROLL »

When I saw Oven Cleaner I thought you were on about the misses
I keep on having to say 'It wont clean it self'
Look above to the Gods…
… and follow the line of skeletons of the TROLLS past…
… and the power of the TROLL will become the 8th wonder of the world