Your Thoughts......

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Your Thoughts......

Post by andyd »

Copied this from a local Classic Vehicle Event......
Standard Admission (£): Free
Admission with classic car (£): £5.00 per car £3.00 bike.

Is this right charging the people bringing the Classic Vehicles and letting the public in free :?
A lot of events now charge owners, some are donations and some are free......Visitors usually have to pay as far as I know.

I appreciate there are costs incurred putting on an event, but should we pay?? (Without us there would be no shows)

Just curious of your thoughts :wave:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Your Thoughts......

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Just Curious of your thoughts
Hi Andy,
Are the organisers mad?
Very few car shows that I attend charge admission to enter a car, and those that do usually charge the general public more.
Where's the incentive to exhibit a car or bike at this show? As you say, with no exhibitors there's no show.
I know the organisers will have to recoup costs incurred of location hire, insurance and whatever else, but as I said, these costs are usually covered by the cost of admission from the public.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Just Curious of your thoughts
Hi Andy,
Are the organisers mad?
Very few car shows that I attend charge admission to enter a car, and those that do usually charge the general public more.
Where's the incentive to exhibit a car or bike at this show? As you say, with no exhibitors there's no show.
I know the organisers will have to recoup costs incurred of location hire, insurance and whatever else, but as I said, these costs are usually covered by the cost of admission from the public.

Andrew.
Surprised to hear from you on this topic Andrew :lol: Maybe I need to do more shows in Wales :)

Many shows for us are now £5 on the day or in advance, and in one instance £7 on the day if not paid in advance!
What can you do..... If we don't pay we cant go :spank:
Traders etc obviously pay for their pitches at shows, and with the visitors £'s that ought to cover it, even if we are encouraged to donate something (which I would do). An empty field beforehand shouldn't command too much money should it?

Our biggest local 2 day show here http://www.powderham.co.uk/ Exhibitors £7 for both days and visitors £10 per person. This event takes a lot of planning, and a few days to set up in advance and is mostly done by a local car club average age of 75 :o So maybe that does justify all round payments? Saying that it did raise £20,000 for local charities :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Many shows for us are now £5 on the day or in advance
Hi Andy,
I just can't get my head around paying to exhibit! :?
I've made one exception to that rule this year, and that's for the CCI National.
The closest show to me is free to enter, whether exhibiting or not, and they still give away plaques to everyone to exhibits anything from a stationary engine to a truck. That's the way it hould be! I'm guessing they recover the organisation costs from sponsors.

When you think that some exhibitors to a show drive great distances and will have spent money on fuel, to pay to get in is a bit of a kick in the teeth. Simply Ford is one show that I think it's fair for the organisers to charge an admission fee, as there is a lot to see and do there.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Simply Ford is one show that I think it's fair for the organisers to charge an admission fee, as there is a lot to see and do there.

Andrew.
:agree: with you on Simply Ford.

Out of 13 shows this year covering Devon, Cornwall and Somerset, 10 were £5 or more, 1 was donation and 2 free.....
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Attended my first proper car show today in Brecon, free for the 300 exhibitors, £5 a car for visitors. I agree, unless it's a big show with lots of attractions I wouldn't bother going if I had to pay to show my car. As you say, there'd probably be no show if they started charging for this.
Tried adding a post image picture, haven't got the hang of it yet .. :?
https://s1.postimg.org/dxbfvu93x/IMG_2748.jpg
andyd

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Attended my first proper car show today in Brecon, free for the 300 exhibitors, £5 a car for visitors. I agree, unless it's a big show with lots of attractions I wouldn't bother going if I had to pay to show my car. As you say, there'd probably be no show if they started charging for this.
Tried adding a post image picture, haven't got the hang of it yet .. :?
Looking good Rob :D

It's wrong to charge us, but either I pay or stay home, and as I only use mine for shows I have to put up with it....
Like any hobby or interest it costs ££'s
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Tried adding a post image picture, haven't got the hang of it yet .. :?
Hi Rob,
Looking great with the stripes fitted! 8-)

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

I can't say I've been to many where the show cars are charged... Simply Ford and the Uxbridge Autoshow are the only ones that spring to mind, Uxbridge was something like 7-10 squids and was for charity anyways but it does seem like an odd proposition to entice people to bring their show cars to a show, so there is a show, only for them all to ignore the show field and park in the normal car park for free!

Hopefully they'll realise the errors of their ways soon and can just charge the general public instead, especially since these shows are rarely local (at least not for me!) it seems pretty counter productive to try and get people to drive all the way there and then ask for money for the privelage
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote: Looking good Rob :D
Thanks Andy.
andyd wrote: It's wrong to charge us, but either I pay or stay home, and as I only use mine for shows I have to put up with it....
Like any hobby or interest it costs ££'s
I agree, any hobby costs money, but it's still wrong to charge as you say, especially so for a smaller local show.
Andrew 2.8i wrote: Looking great with the stripes fitted! 8-)
Cheers Andrew.
D366Y wrote: Hopefully they'll realise the errors of their ways soon and can just charge the general public instead, especially since these shows are rarely local (at least not for me!) it seems pretty counter productive to try and get people to drive all the way there and then ask for money for the privelage
:agree: Well said Danny.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Attended my first proper car show today in Brecon
Great to see you showing of your lovely Capri at last Rob. Its looking superb fella. Nice one :D

I still use Flickr for posting pics here. Its very easy to use. Have looked at post image but I personally still prefer Flickr only because I am used to it I suppose. When it comes to computers I dont like change unless its absolutely required !

All the best Rob and once again great to see your Capri on the show circuit :applaud: :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: Admission with classic car (£): £5.00 per car £3.00 bike.
Hi Andy. I do exhibit at one or two local shows where you have to pay to show the car. At one of them the proceeds go to charity. It is pretty much a 'forced' donation. There are other shows though in my area where it is standard practice to pay to exhibit, these shows are really big and are very popular. It certainly doesn't seem to put people off.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote: Admission with classic car (£): £5.00 per car £3.00 bike.
Hi Andy. I do exhibit at one or two local shows where you have to pay to show the car. At one of them the proceeds go to charity. It is pretty much a 'forced' donation. There are other shows though in my area where it is standard practice to pay to exhibit, these shows are really big and are very popular. It certainly doesn't seem to put people off.
Hi Paul,
Shows that we attend are always full to capacity, so it doesn't put owners off here either....
But to charge us and not the visitors, that's wrong. Split the entry 50/50 that would make more sense.
andyd

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote:
Hopefully they'll realise the errors of their ways soon and can just charge the general public instead, especially since these shows are rarely local (at least not for me!) it seems pretty counter productive to try and get people to drive all the way there and then ask for money for the privelage
The one in question is 65 miles from me in Cornwall, I wouldn't have gone anyway, but also it's the same day as September QS Meet. Others in Cornwall are 85 miles each way...... So on top of 1/2 to 3/4 tank of petrol you have to pay £5 to show your car :?
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote: But to charge us and not the visitors, that's wrong. Split the entry 50/50 that would make more sense.
I'm not sure as I don't know enough about this stuff, but I'm inclined to think that it may be an insurance thing, when visitors are charged it changes the premise of the event.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote: But to charge us and not the visitors, that's wrong. Split the entry 50/50 that would make more sense.
I'm not sure as I don't know enough about this stuff, but I'm inclined to think that it may be an insurance thing, when visitors are charged it changes the premise of the event.
Most shows here charge visitors too....I have emailed the organiser of this event so will let you know their reply.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Got this email reply from a local car club member I have known for some years, and is quite well informed;

Hi Andy,
I must admit that I do find the whole idea of paying to drive my car and park it in someone's field so that other fee-paying people can come and look at it at bit strange. I understand the issues with Powderham because of their huge set-up costs (e.g. advertising, cost of liability insurance, PA system, toilets and showers, security, etc.) and having to hire the venue for a whole week, etc. But other shows where they don't have these types of overheads but are more grass roots, and it does seem an odd set-up. Without a display of cars there can be no show. Exhibitors also have to pay the additional costs of fuel, food (even if they take their own) and also having to give up their time.

The one in Exmouth costs the organisers £50 (or thereabouts) to hire the council-owned land, which they pay for from their own coffers (usually membership-based revenue or one of the members pays for it himself). The arrangement is that they cannot have any trade stands etc. who are obviously there to make a profit, as suddenly the ball game changes and the fee suddenly goes up into thousands (which the Morris Minor Owners Club would never be able to afford). They want to keep everything as simple and easy to manage as possible. The same also applies to Pride of Longbridge in the Midlands which I occasionally attend. Again, this is held on council-owned land and the proviso is that no commercial activities that look to generate a trade profit can take place, or else the organisers will be required to pay out thousands of pounds to hire the site, take on a liability insurance policy and other costs. The only real expense they have is hiring toilets for the 3,000 of so enthusiasts who turn up.

I am about to send in an entry form and £5 to exhibit on the seafront where I live. I can usually park there for free although usually support this show because the money collected is distributed to local causes.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Interesting stuff Andy.

Sounds like I was sort of right in what I was assuming then? As soon as you allow a paid visitor then you may be liable for them from that point on, and so incur astronomical liability/insurance costs?

There must be a technical difference between paying exhibitors and paying visitors.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Interesting stuff Andy.

Sounds like I was sort of right in what I was assuming then? As soon as you allow a paid visitor then you may be liable for them from that point on, and so incur astronomical liability/insurance costs?

There must be a technical difference between paying exhibitors and paying visitors.
I read it as; It's cheaper without traders making profit, where shows are held on council owned land........
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:I still use Flickr for posting pics here. Its very easy to use. Have looked at post image but I personally still prefer Flickr
What Nick said!
Plus, there is a community vibe on Flickr. It's not just for hosting photos that can be uploaded to other sites.

Andrew.