Unbelievable.....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Unbelievable.....

Post by Paul G »

Big Mike wrote:
Paul G wrote:This may be contentious, but I do feel that Trucks should be confined to the inside lane and 50 mph in pouring rain. Their spray can magnify the poor visibility problem 10 fold but they don't realise what it's like for cars following them as they sit so high above it.
andyd wrote: :agree: with all you say Paul, and I think Coaches and Caravans should stay in the inside lane at all times too. People can get impatient when stuck behind these vehicles in the middle lane and that's when accidents can occur.
Sorry guys I'm afraid I feel the need to 'vent my spleen' at these comments - contentious it certainly is!

I love the assumption that all Truck Drivers only ever drive trucks and therefore have no conception of what it must be like to drive a car in any given conditions :roll:

Seems to me that drivers of large vehicles all too often get made the focus of attention in conversations like this, yet I have read all of the links published by the OP at the top of this thread and it appears that none of the incidents outlined mentions LGV/PSV vehicles at all. I'm not saying there's not any bad LGV/PSV drivers out there, of course there are - as with any particular class of vehicle, but sweeping statements and generalisations such as these are based on opinion rather than fact.

When you confine all LGVs and Coaches to lane one, you are in effect curtailing their speed to the slowest moving vehicle in that carriageway - be it a crane, wide load, horse box, classic car etc (or in the case of Tesco/CoOp/Sainsburys etc a 50mph limited truck). In doing so, the following vehicle(s) that may be legitimately faster (due to weight/size/drag on vehicle etc) will perpetually gain on the vehicles in front and have to keep 'backing off', and then reapplying throttle to maintain a steady road speed, as once you back off and lose momentum in a fully freighted 44t Truck your speed very quickly diminishes - this in itself becomes extremely tiresome and dangerous, try and imagine being forced to sit there and do this hundreds of times in a 4hr30mins drive. Hills will further slow these vehicles down, which only exacerbates the problems for the following heavy vehicles, meaning more wear and tear on the vehicle and more fuel used - categories for which my firm DPD(for one) have on-board monitoring on every vehicle and I am performance managed by these standards, with disciplinary action a possibility - and that's all on top of the tachograph laws and WTD regulations!
As a result of the above you will then end up with extremely long lines of Heavy traffic in lane one, making joining the Motorway an absolute nightmare, as many drivers already seem to assume that they have right of way when joining so I dread to think of the complaints and chaos that that would cause too.

In the case of confining heavy vehicles to lane one in heavy rain only - I would ask who would police whether the heavy rain was 'heavy enough' to enforce the ban? An LGV driver being prosecuted for being in lane two in the rain may argue that it wasn't that heavy etc etc, it would just go on and on. Otherwise I suspect 'Joe Public' would take it upon himself to decide that the rain was too heavy and start flashing and gesturing etc and we see road rage incidents increasing even more, when he really needs to be concentrating on the conditions!

If the conditions are bad, surely we ALL should adjust our driving style accordingly?

All too often I see these sweeping comments about trucks on the roads, seems nobody wants us out there on 'their' roads, yet everyone expects the shelves full when they go to the shops and beer in the pumps when they go down the pub, or their classic car part purchased from eBay delivered on time.

Anyway, as I say, just my ten-pence worth, I hope I've managed to put a different perspective on the argument without treading on too many toes (tin hat on and running! ;) )

Mike.
Fair comment Mike and I admit that I've never driven anything bigger than a LWB Renault Master or a Transit Luton.

I do find it wrong that your employers put such pressure on you regarding your driving: do they not take into account the circumstances (rain, traffic levels etc) that you encounter? I suppose it keeps a lid on those who aren't such Knights of the Road as yourself and the rest of the good HGV drivers.

The spray from trucks is a seriously still a PITA for car users though!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholicic Nick wrote:Mine is 'ET'.....
What is E.T. short for?...........
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

......He's only got little legs! :)

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:......He's only got little legs! :)

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i wrote: I'll give up trying to be funny. I'll stick to being the forum bore......
Andrew.
Yes, stick to plan A :D
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Its a reminder to phone home
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

This is why, imo : (link rather than an image as it's a bit NSFW -
bad language) https://imgur.com/xe2lW4b

Oh, and the best Spielberg movie is clearly Raiders of the Lost Ark
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."