Page 1 of 1

Parcel shelf

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:57 pm
by Alanb67
Going to have a go at refurbing my parcel shelf. It's not in to bad condition, it bows a bit and is split at both sides where the hanging string holes are. I will repair those with some fibreglass. Has anyone any experience of refurbing a parcel shelf? If so what is the best paint to get to re spray it and what sort of adhesive is best to stick the carpet back on again......thanks.

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:12 pm
by Paul G
I would use Evo Stick or some similar contact adhesive for the carpet and the very famous (on this forum!) Halfords dark grey vinyl paint for painting over the repairs. (assuming your shelf is grey, black is also available)

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:33 pm
by Andrew 2.8i
Hi,
This spray adhesive is brilliant for sticking carpet.

Andrew.

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:53 pm
by Caprifan Rob
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
This spray adhesive is brilliant for sticking carpet.

Andrew.

I'll give this a try too,I've used carpet spray glue on mine but it's lifting in places. Cheers Andrew.

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:03 pm
by Andrew 2.8i
Caprifan Rob wrote:I'll give this a try too,I've used carpet spray glue on mine but it's lifting in places.

Hi Rob,
It's what my mate in the trade uses, and if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me!
I find that it works best if both surfaces are sprayed. Obviously, it's easy to spray the back of the carpet pieces but the shelf itself is more difficult. When I did mine, I made sure that I carefully masked off all the exposed surfaces on the shelf that I didn't want covered in adhesive.

Andrew.

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:54 pm
by D366Y
I tried the same thing, using fibreglass to repair the shelf... Let me know how you get on with it, I found it really tough to get it to keep it's shape while it was drying so was better but not perfect once I'd finished.

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:08 pm
by Caprifan Rob
Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Caprifan Rob wrote:I'll give this a try too,I've used carpet spray glue on mine but it's lifting in places.

Hi Rob,
It's what my mate in the trade uses, and if it's good enough for him it's good enough for me!
I find that it works best if both surfaces are sprayed. Obviously, it's easy to spray the back of the carpet pieces but the shelf itself is more difficult. When I did mine, I made sure that I carefully masked off all the exposed surfaces on the shelf that I didn't want covered in adhesive.

Andrew.

Good advice, I'll order some & give it a go, cheers Andrew.

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:18 pm
by Alanb67
Thanks for the replys. All good advice again. The spray glue looks the job.

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:21 pm
by Alanb67
D366Y wrote:I tried the same thing, using fibreglass to repair the shelf... Let me know how you get on with it, I found it really tough to get it to keep it's shape while it was drying so was better but not perfect once I'd finished.

My plan was to get it into shape before i started with the fibreglass. Not sute how i will do that. I'll get something rigged up.

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:34 pm
by Not_Anumber
I also had trouble with using fibreglass on the shelf ofd my last Capri. This time round I was planning on boding the underside shelf to thin plywood to reinforce it. After a few mins of looking at it and wondering though I just bit the bullet and paid CCI £ 60 for a new shelf.

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:00 am
by D366Y
Alanb67 wrote:
D366Y wrote:I tried the same thing, using fibreglass to repair the shelf... Let me know how you get on with it, I found it really tough to get it to keep it's shape while it was drying so was better but not perfect once I'd finished.


My plan was to get it into shape before i started with the fibreglass. Not sute how i will do that. I'll get something rigged up.


Not_Anumber wrote:I also had trouble with using fibreglass on the shelf ofd my last Capri. This time round I was planning on boding the underside shelf to thin plywood to reinforce it. After a few mins of looking at it and wondering though I just bit the bullet and paid CCI £ 60 for a new shelf.


Let me know how you get on rigging something up, the idea of plywood sounds a good one, the problem I had was that it was so used to being bent up at the corners it was pretty difficult to move it down at all...

Think I will try again at some point in the future but right now its not getting any worse so problem solved!

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:40 pm
by Caprifan Rob
D366Y wrote:Let me know how you get on rigging something up, the idea of plywood sounds a good one, the problem I had was that it was so used to being bent up at the corners it was pretty difficult to move it down at all...

Hi Danny, had same issue with my original shelf, corners bent up & big sag in middle. I did manage to get it back in shape by making a frame out of wood around the outside edge of the shelf then placing shelf on it upside down. I placed the spare wheel on it in the centre & left it in garage for 3 weeks. The shape is back perfect, was going to fibreglass it for originality but gave up & used a CCI one I'd already bought, as it was easier :D
Above tip worked though to get its shape back if that's any help.

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 4:52 pm
by D366Y
Caprifan Rob wrote:
D366Y wrote:Let me know how you get on rigging something up, the idea of plywood sounds a good one, the problem I had was that it was so used to being bent up at the corners it was pretty difficult to move it down at all...

Hi Danny, had same issue with my original shelf, corners bent up & big sag in middle. I did manage to get it back in shape by making a frame out of wood around the outside edge of the shelf then placing shelf on it upside down. I placed the spare wheel on it in the centre & left it in garage for 3 weeks. The shape is back perfect, was going to fibreglass it for originality but gave up & used a CCI one I'd already bought, as it was easier :D
Above tip worked though to get its shape back if that's any help.


3 weeks!!?? :shock: I'll have to ask someone very kindly to borrow some garage or floor space in their house for it to sit there for a few weeks :lol: Great advice though so thanks! :)

Danny

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:39 pm
by Caprifan Rob
D366Y wrote:3 weeks!!?? :shock: I'll have to ask someone very kindly to borrow some garage space

:D you can throw it in mine if you like, I'll pic it up off you in Queen Square September, not sure when you'll get it back though .. :lol:

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:39 am
by D366Y
Caprifan Rob wrote:
D366Y wrote:3 weeks!!?? :shock: I'll have to ask someone very kindly to borrow some garage space

:D you can throw it in mine if you like, I'll pic it up off you in Queen Square September, not sure when you'll get it back though .. :lol:


Thanks! :lol: Might have to trek over again to get it back as a Christmas gift to myself :lol:

Cheers
Danny

Re: Parcel shelf

Posted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:19 pm
by Alanb67
Parcel shelf refurbed. I got a piece of 4x2 wood and put the parcel shelf on top of it long ways and weighted each side down with mono blocks of all things. Sorted the cracks with fibreglass. Left it sitting for a couple of days hoping it would hold it's shape. It did to a certain extent, it's a lot better than it was. Rubbed the shelf down cleaned it up then painted it with dark Grey paint from halfords, which i thought would have been darker. Cleaned the carpet up with upholstery cleaner and glued them back on. Happy with the job. Not perfect but a lot better than it was. I will try to post a few pics of my handy work.