Paint stripping question.

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Paint stripping question.

Post by Arya2.0S »

Does anyone know how to strip paint and primer off of rubber?
Like a Capri spoiler thats been painted for example?
Much of it is flaking off but i dont think the rest of it is gonna be so cooperative, and its very old too so its been on there a while.
I want to get back the original rubber texture and look without damaging it you see.
Thanks.
Lord Flasheart
Car(s): 3.0 Ghia

Re: Paint stripping question.

Post by Lord Flasheart »

I used acetone to remove black paint from an originally blue Ghia armrest I was given, came off really well, take it steady & keep using a clean piece of cloth.

I would try it on the back of the spoiler first to make sure it doesn't have ill effects on the rubber itself.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Sounds daft but what about a simply power hose as I did get a ring of white gloss paint on mine ( old Capri ) many moons ago in the garage and a friend said this will get it of and it worked .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:Sounds daft but what about a simply power hose as I did get a ring of white gloss paint on mine ( old Capri ) many moons ago in the garage and a friend said this will get it of and it worked .
Its not household paint thats on it, its been sprayed with either 2k or cellulose and lacquered, and primer under that. Someones tried to colour code it to match their bodywork. Id imagine a power washer might work though? The force of the water would easily peel the bits that are already flaking... that might work come to think of it, and since its just water it shouldn't damage the rubber underneath.

Just worried about damaging that rubber, this isnt the type of spoiler that can be easily or cheaply replaced, its a Turbo Tail you see. ;)
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Are you going to have a go at making the fibreglass repros of the turbo tail?
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Sorry I just read your other post and yes that's not a easy job there must be something on the market ? Also because it's rubber your in a different world then metal or fibre glass . Hope you find a answer because that will be wicked on the Capri .

Just one mad thought what about painting it black or your blue on the Capri ? I have not got a clue what it will come out like or even know how it would look but just a mad thought mate
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Paul G wrote:Are you going to have a go at making the fibreglass repros of the turbo tail?
Yeah i'm thinking so.
My dad is the fibreglass master and he reckons as long as we can fully dismantle the spoiler he can make moulds of the individual pieces.
Trouble is right now the top half of the spoiler with the canards (still not sure if thats what they're actually called?) doesn't seem to come apart, the three sections seem like they are locked together, but they are loose so it feels like it should come apart but theres no obvious screws or bolts holding it together, unless the holes for these are covered up by the nasty old paint so thats why i want to strip it so i can investigate further otherwise this might put a spanner in the works when it comes to making a mould.

Barring that however (and whether or not i can strip this paint off) we should be able to reproduce these.... if theres enough demand to justify the expense and time involved making the mould that is...
Jasonmarie wrote:Sorry I just read your other post and yes that's not a easy job there must be something on the market ? Also because it's rubber your in a different world then metal or fibre glass . Hope you find a answer because that will be wicked on the Capri .

Just one mad thought what about painting it black or your blue on the Capri ? I have not got a clue what it will come out like or even know how it would look but just a mad thought mate
I had thought about painting it a satin black, but even to do that i still need to get this old paint off because its flaking and cracking and i really cant paint over that.

I'm sure theres something out there that can melt the paint without hurting the rubber underneath, its just a matter of researching and finding out what i might need.

Im gonna try the jet washer method first and see if that at least helps remove some of the paint, someone suggested brake fluid on another forum, others reckon nitromors would be ok as its new formula is weak anyway so it wouldn't hurt the rubber, but im dubious of both ideas given the value and rarity of the spoiler itself. If it was just a normal Capri spoiler i wouldnt mind if i screwed it up but this is different.

Ideally i'd love to get all this old paint and primer off and just have the natural surface of the rubber on show, which i could then treat and dye black and it would look like brand new, im all about seeing those authentic "FORD" logos and serial numbers on this bad boy, but with all the layers of paint you can hardly see them at the moment.

Heres some pictures of it up close so ya'll can see what im up against:

"Made In Germany" :)

One of that all important "FORD" logo:

So yeah as you can see its a bit of a mess but its all intact, nothings broken, all the mounting lugs are intact, its straight and i dont even think the rubber is split under the paint its just missing a couple of screws to join the two halves and a couple of rubber bungs to cover them up so its well worth saving and doing properly and will look stunning on my car once its all finished.
Plus, if i can reproduce these in fibreglass for people then even better! ;)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes looking up closer you can see what you have to deal with that paint looks quite strong in the picture . If threw the night I have a spark in my mind and taken by little men in space ships I will ask if they have anything but at the moment I have not got a clue .
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Jasonmarie wrote:Yes looking up closer you can see what you have to deal with that paint looks quite strong in the picture . If threw the night I have a spark in my mind and taken by little men in space ships I will ask if they have anything but at the moment I have not got a clue .
Hehe it's cool. No matter what I'm determined to figure something out, I want this on my car! IT WILL HAPPEN!! lol
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Could it be soda blasted off? Don't know if that would harm the rubber or not. May be worth enquiring. Nitro Mors is useless on 2K.