ssornai wrote:Hello all!
Been snooping around these forums for a few months now but this is my first post. I must say this place seems like a goldmine of knowledge and advice so thought I'd throw out a few questions. We've recently moved into a place with a garage so it's finally time to start looking for the dream car!
The budget is around 10-14k and I'm looking for a late MK3 (85 onwards ideally!) . I've a feeling the Brooklands is way over budget so leaning towards a 2.8i or 2.8i special although open to suggestions and advice!
I've done a bit of research myself but decided it was time to ask the experts a long list of rambling questions! Any help is massively appreciated!
1. Are all the 2.8's 5 speeds or are there some 4 speed varieties and if so which is which?
2. Likewise with power steering, am I right in saying all the 2.8's have power steering?
3. I realise this could be opening a can of worms but what makes the special so special? I understand there were different wheels/trim and I think the LSD but is there more I'm not aware of? Just want to be sure what's being advertised for sale is what is says it is and not something rebadged!
4. What are the worst problem areas for rust to look out for? Or would it be easier to ask where not to look?
5. Is a sunroof more hassle than it's worth?
6. Any other tips or advice on what to look out for when viewing a car would be very welcome!
Cheers in advance, have wanted a Capri all my life and it's getting very exciting now the dream is getting achievable!
ssornai wrote:Cheers for the speedy reply!
I'll definitely be taking your advice on the sunroof anyway, that sounds like a potential nightmare. Who needs a sunroof in Ireland anyway
Out of interest is the sunroof manually controlled or electric?
Sure I'll do a bit of research into the Pinto and S, knowledge is power and all that
I imagine checking the petrol tank would be tricky without throwing it up on a ramp?
Cheers for the info, I have much to learn!
ssornai wrote:So far this has jumped out at me and seems very reasonably priced, would love to get some opinions! http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C868159
ssornai wrote:Out of interest what are the implications if the car isn't converted to run on unleaded? Some sort of fuel additive?
I also use an additive. It's not a problem for me. You can get good deals on ebay rather than buying frim an accessory shop or the petrol station. I suppose ifcaou run your car a lot it may be worth getting it converted.Andrew 2.8i wrote:ssornai wrote:Out of interest what are the implications if the car isn't converted to run on unleaded? Some sort of fuel additive?
There are two options. You can either use additive, or save the money that you would have spent using the additive to get the required work done.
Personally, I'm happy to use regular unleaded with an additive.
I used to use Castrol valvemaster, but I've recently started using Miller's VSPE as it claims to have extra protection from ethanol in petrol.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests