E-Bay is it me ?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

E-Bay is it me ?

Post by Jasonmarie »

So over the last few weeks many of us have watched things on eBay sell for stupid prices with perhaps one picture that is up-side down .
So tonight I thought I would have a look to see how my mother in law is doing in the for sale bit on eBay when I come across this for sale advert .

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/263053263391

Now are the photos from when the car was new or did they give the pictures the out of focus shot just to make us guess what the picture is .
And I love the price £11111 also the description says they are testing the water ...

If it is a members car on this site please sort the thing out . We want to see the whole car not just the bumper also you can put 12 pictures on and it will not cost you anymore .
my 10 year old daughter can post things up with the eBay and she can edit the pictures with in eBay so they are not upside down , I thank you ....

Or is it me and I need to give up going on eBay and start reading a very old book like Janet & John .

.??? :banghead:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: E-Bay is it me ?

Post by Arya2.0S »

Some people on eBay are effing idiots. I'm sorry but there's no excuse for this type of sub par presentation.
The photos look like they have been taken on a phone and then they have put the phone screen up to another camera and taken a photo of the screen!!
Like....WTF!?!?!
Like you said a kid can do better than this!
And then people have the gall to ask beyond ridiculous prices for the things that you can't even see properly!!
I feel like there should be a basic test before being given the ability to post on eBay. A basic competency test to prove that you at least understand the basics of how the site and the machine you are using works before being allowed to post or something. Lol. Crazy.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-capri-/2 ... SwHLNZTX2I (Link above no longer working) :?
Here is the cars MOT History;

Registration number: A257VAX

Vehicle make FORD Vehicle model CAPRI LS 4SPD Date first used 1 August 1983 Fuel type Petrol Colour White

Test date 18 October 2010 Expiry date 17 October 2011 Test Result Pass Odometer reading 37,970 miles MOT test number 6807 8129 0289

Test date 5 October 2010 Test Result Fail Odometer reading 37,959 miles MOT test number 4929 1867 0237 Reason(s) for failure
Offside Headlamp not working on dipped beam (1.7.5a)
Rear fog lamp switch faulty (1.3.1a)
Nearside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
Offside Front Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
Nearside Rear Suspension spring mounting prescribed area is inadequately repaired (2.4.A.3)
Offside Rear Suspension spring mounting prescribed area is inadequately repaired (2.4.A.3)

This is what happens when people think their items are worth more than they actually are, and hope someone with too much money will just come along and buy it......Hence little to no effort in the adverts photo's or details :doh:

Personally I think Capri prices have slowed down recently.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
"I know what it's worth".......if that's the case then put the actual price in the listing!

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
"I know what it's worth".......if that's the case then put the actual price in the listing!

Andrew.
Exactly :banghead:
Personally, they need to take the first 1 out of the price.......
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

It's a skanky old LS that's got no MOT and is a Shedload of money away from even being able to get an MOT. The mechanicals will need overhauling before they can be trusted and that's before you even start on the bodywork..

In the real world it's worth next to fuck all but in E Bay land it's a classic with lots of potential and an easy project that is going to be worth a lot of money when finished :wank:

I know what it's worth but I guarantee that my figure is a long way away from the figure the owner has in their head!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

It looks like the pictures were originally taken on one of those £2 asda disposable cameras many years ago and then a photo of the pictures taken with a mobile phone that is even older than my 7 year old Samsung.

Some people don't help themselves - last year there was an old black LS in a hedge with no wheels on there for £2000 ish. It was on for months. I said (on the other forum I think) at the time that the seller should put a set of slave wheels on it and drag it out of the hedge to at least give himself a chance but I was shot down in flames with people saying it's his car and up to him how he advertises it.

Reallistically it's probably worth £1000 - £1500 as all resto projects seem to start around there these days. Done up nicely with everything working and years MOT probably make £3000 to £3500.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

andyd wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-capri-/2 ... SwHLNZTX2I (Link above no longer working) :?

Personally I think Capri prices have slowed down recently.
I agree with the exception of the 2.8i's.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I feel better now but that book Janet & John what a read ..................... :cheers:
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Paul G wrote:It looks like the pictures were originally taken on one of those £2 asda disposable cameras many years ago and then a photo of the pictures taken with a mobile phone that is even older than my 7 year old Samsung.

Some people don't help themselves - last year there was an old black LS in a hedge with no wheels on there for £2000 ish. It was on for months. I said (on the other forum I think) at the time that the seller should put a set of slave wheels on it and drag it out of the hedge to at least give himself a chance but I was shot down in flames with people saying it's his car and up to him how he advertises it.

Reallistically it's probably worth £1000 - £1500 as all resto projects seem to start around there these days. Done up nicely with everything working and years MOT probably make £3000 to £3500.
I saw that thread. 100% agree with you and just proves why I prefer the people on this forum instead.

This car is an utter insult. I was going to type out a message to the seller about presentation etc but I got it all typed out and realized it'll just make me sound like a dick and they wouldn't take any notice anyway so it would just have been an effort in futility and make me look like the bad guy so I deleted it.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

LOL I was going to type something out really nice like get the pictures up also try and say more about the car , then thought no I better not eBay might ban me from trying to help somebody if there's a big red button saying ban this man .
So I also deleted .

Iam on page 14 now of my new book ...