Should have known better.

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Should have known better.

Post by Paul G »

I'm 55 next month, far from skint and have been in or around the motor industry all my working life but earlier this year I bought a pair of cheap front wheel bearings for my old Laser from ebay. Thought I'd be tight and save some money as they were about half the price of ones from my trusted local motor factor with whom I have an account and have been doing business with for 35 years or more.

Well, I fitted one today and frankly it is noisier and rougher when you spin the wheel than the old, original (SKF) one that had done 186,000 miles was. I even packed it with proper wheel bearing grease rather than the shit they put in the sachets. It was stamped with the same SKF part number and on inspection looked OK. There's no way I'm going to drive the car like that, so I've now got to pay again for decent bearings plus my time in changing them.

With bearings, if it doesn't say SKF, Timken, FAG,Koyo or NTN on them then really they shouldn't be fitted in such a safety- critical area as this. Much has been said on these forums about problems with cheap rear bearings - well the same applies to front ones. I should have known better and I, like many before me, fell into the trap of penny pinching. As we all know, it's not always wise to do it and usually costs more in the long run.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Re: Should have known better.

Post by Arya2.0S »

Thanks for the warning. I seem to have been lucky with mine so far as they weren't the most expensive bearings when I bought them, sometimes cheap is the only option.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

I've not been a fan of buying anything from ebay normally. I know there's a lot of good sellers there, but if its cheap it's probably cheap for a reason. Also, the hassle and effort returning a faulty or wrong part often makes it not worth it.

Fortunately I have a very good motor factor but they are a dying breed in some areas. I'm confident in walking out the door with the right part at a good price.

Sometimes buying cheap tools can be reasonable, for example if it's something you're not sure how much you'll use. You can buy a cheap one and then if you get good use out of it, buy an expensive high quality one.
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

Sadly a sign of the times re aftermarket capri parts I'm afraid.

I now apply the following rule to all aftermarket parts - Buy cheap, buy twice unless you know the right OE brands like SKF for bearings etc. It is very hard not to have to pay more if you don't want to do the job twice. Do your research it seems and its likely once you've found out who made the bearings (for example) for ford in the first place you'll get the pukka ones with only a marginal price increase. Sadly in some cases of course we have no choice but the only one available (take pattern wings for example)

Doesn't apply to any box labelled motorcraft mind! :D
Last edited by ollyw on Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Sadly, the expression "buy cheap buy twice" is generally true....
Thanks for the heads up.

Andrew.