Could not resist this....

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Could not resist this....

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi all,

You know when you are 'just browsing' on ebay then just have to hit that 'buy it now' without hesitation....well....

My washer bottle I have now is nice and clean but it has a crack right across the top...don't know how it got there but has been there for a while now. Has a few marks too but not too bad though one of my neighbours who takes an interest when I am working on the car always bleedin pointing them all out to me :lol: :lol:

Anyway as said I was not loosing any sleep over it and was not actively looking out for one, but then whilst on ebay a few days ago this beauty popped up. "NOS" was the description... "looks like its never been fitted or used", and looking at the pics it looked very nice barring what looked like just some light storage marks so as it was a 'buy it now' rather than auction I just had to hit that button !!!

Image20170619_235813 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Arrived in the post day before yesterday and yep barring some storage marks the inside was like new, as are the fixing lugs so it does look like it has not been fitted/used ! Have had it soaking in bleach for a day and a half and it looks really good. Even the rubber grommet that holds the pump unit looks like it new. These sort of items don't pop up that often so was in the right place at the right time !

Best of all it arrived in the post when Mrs Fordoholic Nick was out so no 'explanations' required :lol:

Will try to repair the crack in my original and store it.

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Could not resist this....

Post by Paul G »

Looks good Nick.

I got mine very clean by leaving it full of traffic film remover overnight then cleaning it out with various brushes including toothbrushes melted with a fag lighter and bent to shape to get in at the tricky bits. The outside had ziebart splashed over it so that came off with white spirit and panel degreaser followed by a good scrub with some Cif cream sink cleaner.

This also worked a treat on the coolant expansion bottle.

Can't beat a nice new one though.

Paul.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

It makes you feel better having that wash bottle all clean , I did fill mine with a Mercedes screen wash (I got free with our bus on it's service ) using a 80% screen wash 20% water but if not used after two years to re clean and re do .

I got that information from last months classic car magazine , as many classic car owners never use the washers , what is true .

I have got to do the rear now .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
Great find!
That will be the finishing touch for your underbonnet area. Not that there was much wrong with your current one!

Andrew.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

SmokeEm wrote:I'll just leave this here.. :whistle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CAPRI-MK ... Sw4A5YuT~Y
Go on Nick, you know you want to .. :sneaky:
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

Nice find Nick. Makes the engine bay look grubby now though :xd:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Paul G wrote:I got mine very clean by leaving it full of traffic film remover overnight then cleaning it out with various brushes including toothbrushes melted with a fag lighter and bent to shape to get in at the tricky bits. The outside had ziebart splashed over it so that came off with white spirit and panel degreaser followed by a good scrub with some Cif cream sink cleaner.
Jasonmarie wrote: I did fill mine with a Mercedes screen wash (I got free with our bus on it's service ) using a 80% screen wash 20% water but if not used after two years to re clean and re do .
Hey chaps, both great tips indeed :)

Paul just been reading up on that traffic film remover stuff....does sound like a very powerful cleaner indeed mate. I might be able to find a space for it on my garage shelf.......nice one !

Jason, that's a strong mix recommended there fella but if it keeps the washer bottle clean then cant be bad can it,, especially for those classic car owners that don't use their washers...except for MOT of course ! Mind you even my MOT chap is afraid to test my washers with me watching him :lol:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

SmokeEm wrote:I'll just leave this here.. :whistle:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-CAPRI-MK ... Sw4A5YuT~Y
Dave what a brilliant find fella. Ermmm....suppose there is no harm 'watching' this :P
Caprifan Rob wrote:Go on Nick, you know you want to
Time to leave town :wave: :burnout: but still 'watching' it :lol:

Seriously chaps very tempting indeed but last time I spent some quality time with my rear washer bottle it looked pretty clean so I am happy to stand aside and let Jason bid on this if he wants as he was saying he needs to refurbish his so this might interest him :helpinghand:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:That will be the finishing touch for your underbonnet area
Blimey Andrew...this is a scary thought fella. What would I become if I could not tinker in my engine bay...don't do fishing, aint got a dog to walk, and cant bleedin sing either ! :lol: Nope I am not putting away my cleaning products and retiring yet old chap :lol:
Stish704 wrote: Makes the engine bay look grubby now though :xd:
PHEW ! Cheers Steve.You have put my mind at rest now after what Andrew said :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I think at that price I will just give that rear one a good wash out and treat to some new screen wash ....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:What would I become if I could not tinker in my engine bay
I'm sure you'd find something to tinker with elsewhere on the car! :)

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I'm sure you'd find something to tinker with elsewhere on the car! :)
Yes Siree !! :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

:oops: Could not resist this either... :sorry:

Image2017-06-24_12-05-32 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Now I did not see that coming a new lid for the wash bottle, I do keep looking at your engine bay almost like a 14 year old boy looking at the underwear section in them freeman catalogs from the 70s .
And I am going to stay with how ford wanted the car to look so will be showing off my new radiator panel with the dimdip very soon .
As Andrew or Andy mention it's not everybody cup of tea and because I also feel that way I won't be going to mirage for the radiator panel .

So just a thank you nick for helping me making my mind up ... :beer:

Edit update Monday morning
I got a powdered coated panel but it's to small for my car must be a 2.8i dim dip panel . So back to the drawing board

Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:Now I did not see that coming a new lid for the wash bottle

:lol: :lol:
Jasonmarie wrote:I do keep looking at your engine bay almost like a 14 year old boy looking at the underwear section in them freeman catalogs from the 70s
Thanks mate ! I will take this as a compliment fella :wave:

My mum used to be a Kays Catalogue 'seller' so we always had a few copies of the catalogue lying around the place :)

Jason looking at pics of your Capri its really is a credit to you. Looks absolutely lovely mate so whatever you decide to do it will look great ! I personally dont lose any sleep any more when i make little changes 'away from Ford original' as most of them are easily returnable if need be. But yep I certainly do applaud those who try to maintain originality as best they can so keep up the excellent work there :applaud:

Shame that rad cover did not fit but you can get them easily enough i am guessing and do it up yourself. Good luck with that and look forward to seeing more pics :D

All the best Jason

Nick