Non-Capri related question, Fiesta chirping

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Jim
Car(s): 1.6

Non-Capri related question, Fiesta chirping

Post by Jim »

Hey guys, I've got a 02 1.25 Fiesta which I use to commute/get me about while the Capri is off the road which has started to have a metallic rubbing noise occurring at speeds over 40 and getting louder as the speed increases. The sound is not related to engine speed as it continues after releasing my foot from the throttle and continues while coasting. The noise sounds like a metallic rubbing noise almost like a high pitch bird chirping. Along with that noise is another noise which sounds a bit like a tin can being clunked. Has anyone got any ideas what it could be? The noise is starting to get really annoying driving to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Non-Capri related question, Fiesta chirping

Post by Paul G »

Are your brake pads OK or has a wheel bearing gone?
mjcapri
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Diamond White Granada 24v

Caspian Blue Sierra XR4i

Stealth Grey Focus RS

Storm Grey Fiesta ST200 (actually belongs to the missus!)

Mean Green Fiesta ST-3

Post by mjcapri »

Assuming your brake components are ok I'd check for something trapped between the splash guard and brake disc. Small stones etc. can get trapped and make a sound similar to what you've described.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

mjcapri wrote:Assuming your brake components are ok I'd check for something trapped between the splash guard and brake disc. Small stones etc. can get trapped and make a sound similar to what you've described.
Secondededed.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Jim wrote:almost like a high pitch bird chirping.
As Paul G suggests, my money is on the brakes just rubbing on the discs.
dan the capri fan
Car(s): Black 1986 Ford Capri 1.6 Laser.
Imperial Red 1983 Ford Capri 2.0S (concors winner).
Silver 2002 Ford Mondeo 1.8 Zetec, daily driver.

Post by dan the capri fan »

Hi I also have a W reg 2000 ford fiesta mk5 1.25 LX that I use to get to work and as my little run around to keep the mileage and wear off the capri. It's great keeps going really reliable it makes a few noises because of wear and tear but nothing to alarming. It's clocked over on to 117,000 miles and starts first time every time, It's never let me down. :D