Thanks Altaf ! - Rocker Cover HT Lead Clip

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Thanks Altaf ! - Rocker Cover HT Lead Clip

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi,

As title I just wanted to thank Altaf (A17 LTF) for very kindly giving me a couple of these ht clips that fit onto the rocker cover to tidy up the leads. On a previous post of mine regarding my rocker cover I mentioned I was missing one of these clips and a few days later Altaf got in contact with me to say he had a couple spare. Not only did he give me these for free but he actually dropped them around to my parents house in West Yorkshire as he was in the area at the time ! What a decent chap indeed ! My parents had a nice chat with him too :)

Anyway I fitted it today and it really tidies up the leads a treat. Maybe I am a bit over the top but it was sort of frustrating me having one missing so one of the leads was not as 'tidy' as the others. Now they look spot on thanks to Altaf :)

Image20170610_125322 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170610_125304 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Anyway as said just wanted to say thank you to Altaf. True gent ! Must try to meet up with you next time I am up in Yorkshire for a few days.

Al the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Re: Thanks Altaf ! - Rocker Cover HT Lead Clip

Post by Stish704 »

Nice. I'm very surprised you don't have red HT leads :xd:
A17 LTF
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1 pinto, Skoda Octavia Mk1 VRS

Post by A17 LTF »

Cor Blimey! I'm flattered Nick, really no need to mention it. Was doing a favour for someone who seems to be very regular at helping others out.

It was great to meet your parents and their lovely house. Hopefully see you here as well one day in the capri. The clips have been sat around for ages so glad they have come into use now.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Stish704 wrote:Nice. I'm very surprised you don't have red HT leads :xd:

:lol: Dont think Magnecor do them in Lacquer Red Steve...but if they did :P
A17 LTF wrote:Cor Blimey! I'm flattered Nick, really no need to mention it. Was doing a favour for someone who seems to be very regular at helping others out.
Cheers Altaf. Very nice of you to say so mate.

I was really chuffed when I fitted the clip yesterday that I felt another thankyou was in order. Yep I know its only a clip but it was the kindness you showed that was so appreciated and the ht leads look great now they are all clipped in for the first time since I owned B112 :)
A17 LTF wrote:Hopefully see you here as well one day in the capri
Yep that sounds like a plan Altaf. Be great to meet up at some stage up in beautiful Yorkshire ! I might try to get up for that Classic Car Show in Crows Nest Park in Dewsbury towards the end of the year. Told Dad to keep an eye out to let me know.

Thanks again

All the best

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I love to hear these stories of forum members going out of their way help to each other out. Well played, Altaf. 8-)

Nick,
Do you have any old photos of your engine bay so we can see how much work you've done over the years?
If you don't mind us seeing, that is! :)

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Request from Andrew

Andrew wrote:Do you have any old photos of your engine bay so we can see how much work you've done over the years?
If you don't mind us seeing, that is! :)
Hi Andrew,

Mate I found these old paper photos I took of B112 when I first bought it. Hope it is clear enough as I did not know about Flickr or Photbucket back then so developed these and have them in my service history folder. The photo does not show into the engine bay so you cant really see how 'old' everything looked but hope you get an idea of the before and after.When I first bought B112 it was in a nice clean condition but I knew from the off it needed quite a bit of tidying up but that's why I bought it so I could make changes and hopefully improvements. Am very happy how its come along.

before
Image20170611_190524 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

after
Image20170312_162200 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Jobs done that I can remember in engine bay...

removed air filter box and replaced with k+n filter
brand new dgav32/36 carb
rocker cover replaced with silver one
new oil filler cap
magnecor ht leads fitted
brand new water pump
brand new fuel pump
brand new starter motor
brand new samco silicone coolant hoses
brand new silicone expansion tank hose
brand new CCI radiator
new clutch and cable
dizzy cap, coil
battery
new battery cables ( heavier duty)
bonnet stay replaced ( old one was bent too much)
new bonnet stay grommet and lock down clip
new windscreen washer tubing
new washer pump
general clean up of engine bay....still doing this as we speak now :wave:
sanded down and repainted fuse box cover, inspection covers, grill, light surrounds, radiator heat shield
painted the areas behind the bonnet hinges above bulkhead that are quite hard to get up into

I might have forgot a few things but this is the general jist fella. The original engine bay was in a pretty 'tidy' condition to look at when I bought it but stop and poke your head in and you could see all the very worn and 'needs replacing' bits. Old hoses, very worn fuel pump, water pump, areas that needed painting etc. The biggest and obvious change I made of course was removing the air filter box and fitting a k+n filter. I ran with the old carb for some years then it packed up about 2/3 yrs back which gave me a great reason to buy a brand new Weber one !

Now I could turn my attention to the interior next but think I have bored you enough by now fella :lol:

All the best

Nick

PS I should have started a new thread on rant and rave but already posted this here and cant see how to move it now :)
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:

:lol: Dont think Magnecor do them in Lacquer Red Steve...but if they did :P
Not quite Magnecor but....
http://www.accuspark.co.uk/leads_plugs.html

isn't too far off....?? :lol:

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

It looks very nice and you can tell you are looking after the car also your making me (some people) on here to make sure there engines look as nice .

Did you notice any noise level when you changed to a k&n filter ?
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

D366Y wrote:Not quite Magnecor but....
http://www.accuspark.co.uk/leads_plugs.html

isn't too far off....?? :lol:
:lol: Nice one Danny. I did originally think of red leads. I actually bought and fitted some red samco cooloant silicone hoses couple of year back just to see how the red looked and they clashed terribly with the Lacquer Red, even though they were one of their special order colours - deep red ! Sold them onto to someone on here for half price brand new few weeks later :) I still have a brand new set of samco hoses in blue that I was gonna fit shortly after I sold om the red ones. Offered them up and thought too much blue so still have them sitting on garage shelf ! Am happy with the black samco's for now.

All the best mate

Nick
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Jasonmarie wrote:Did you notice any noise level when you changed to a k&n filter ?
Hi Jason,

Yep I did notice a difference mate. It wont disturb the neighbours any more than it was before if that's what you meant :lol: But yep as said it does have a different dimension to the sound as more air is getting sucked into the engine with the 360* degree filter rather than the air box inlet spout.
Some say it offers slightly better performance too with a bit more air getting into the engine but as I am a boring driver I don't really push it too hard so don't really notice a big difference myself. Obviously the air/fuel mixture needs setting after fitting one to allow for this extra intake of air. It does not set the world alight like a set of 40/45's though but still a nice little mod imo. ...hmmm 45's.... now theres a thought :D :D

I also really like the exposure the pinto gets with the airbox removed too but this is just my own opinion. As I have said countless times I still very much drool over these Pinto's at shows that are completely original :)

All the best Jason

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
Thanks for uploading the before and after photos, it's interesting to see how far you've come with the engine bay. I can see why you changed the original air intake for the fancy K&N ! That alone seems to make a big difference to the look.
Out of interest, have you painted your exhaust manifold, if so, what paint did you use?

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:Did you notice any noise level when you changed to a k&n filter ?

It wont disturb the neighbours any more than it was before if that's what you meant :lol:

If you want to wake your neighbours I have an exhaust I can recommend...?? :lol:

Cheers
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

D366Y wrote:
Fordoholic Nick wrote:

It wont disturb the neighbours any more than it was before if that's what you meant :lol:

If you want to wake your neighbours I have an exhaust I can recommend...?? :lol:

Cheers
Danny
:D
I gave our neighbour who has a noisy Clio and Motorbike, an 8 am wake up call with the Sierra yesterday :woot: Stung by the Scorpion :lol:

Weather permitting he will get another one next Sunday at 7 am :whistle:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Weather permitting he will get another one next Sunday at 7 am :whistle:
I leave at 5 AM to go to QS...... The neighbours love me! :lol:

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Weather permitting he will get another one next Sunday at 7 am :whistle:
I leave at 5 AM to go to QS...... The neighbours love me! :lol:

Andrew.
Roll on September :lol:...... Payback :)
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Funny my next door neighbour did say he heard me the other day .

Can't we get some videos up of sound ...

This QS I heard you all talk about it and I think it's Bristol way would it be worth a run down there from Kent one Sunday or is it just a local thing .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:This QS I heard you all talk about it and I think it's Bristol way would it be worth a run down there from Kent one Sunday or is it just a local thing .
Hi,
It's a morning meet that lasts from 07:30 to around 10:00. It's up to you if you think it's worthwhile going all the way to Bristol from Kent. Why not come along in September when a few other forum people might be going?

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Out of interest, have you painted your exhaust manifold, if so, what paint did you use
Hi Andrew,

Mate I did originally did paint it with VHT Paint but about 3/4yrs back it started showing signs of peeling so I decided to lightly sand it back and left it. Has a sort of 'industrial' look about it :lol:

All the best

Nick

Ps Cheers for your nice comments on car. Its still work in progress. Been cleaning the carb manifold today :wave: