Interesting day..

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Interesting day..

Post by Major_Tom »

..changed timing belt, tensioner and camshaft oil seal with my mate Sean's help as I'd never done timing belt before (neither of my two previous engines lasted long enough :lol: ).. was glad of the help because it was ballache! Then did what I thought would be the easy part: changing the distributor. Easy, right? Wrong!

As you may know, my magnetic sump plug picked up loads of bits of metal last year. Around this time, the igintion timing, over the course of a few thousand miles, would wander out of tune. The fragments were identified by Glyn as bits of a distributor roll pin. I took the old dizzy out, expecting the gear to stay behind.. but it came out intact, and indeed was missing its roll pin. A bit of it was sqaushed flat in the teeth of the gear. But it all came out easily. Fantastic. All looked nice and clean down in the the dizzy well, so got the new one in.... except it would not go all the way in. Tried everything, but no luck. Then took a better look down there... the disintegrating roll pin has absolutely mangled several teeth on the auxilliary shaft. Two of them were almost completely missing!

Wierdly, the old distributor fitted back no problem and it runs fine (for now).. so I got home ok! My mate thinks he has a spare shaft and will find out tomorrow.

Interesting day.. :lol:
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Major_Tom

Re: Interesting day..

Post by Major_Tom »

Bit of a crap picture but you get the idea:

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Why can't any jobs ever go to plan?
I hope you get it sorted.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Oh that's a pain, out with the spanners again!

I have seen this once before, on a MK5 Cortina. Before starting the job get a new oil seal (same as cam one) and cover plate gasket and when it's all back together make sure you get the sprocket on the same way round as you took it off.

At least you haven't got to get the bottom pulley off again.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Thanks for the advice guys!