Bond. James Bond.

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Bond. James Bond.

Post by Major_Tom »

RIP Roger Moore, lovely man, massive charity fundraiser and my favourite Bond. Nobody does it better. I suppose I can forgive him spraying cement in that Cortina's windscreen causing it to pitch off a cliff and through the roof of a farmhouse.

I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
A17 LTF
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1 pinto, Skoda Octavia Mk1 VRS

Re: Bond. James Bond.

Post by A17 LTF »

RIP Roger Moore, a great man he was.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I agree, he was my favorite too. Sad news which didn't get the headlines he deserved with all the horrible goings on in Manchester. :(
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

He was my favourite Bond too. All the best bits in the Bond films, such as the Lotus coming out of the water, Jaws the villain, Live & Let Die theme tune, and so on, all seem to be from the Roger Moore films. He made great TV shows too, Saint, Persuaders.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

I recommend the "Bond on Bond" book to everyone who feels the same - its interesting and a lot of fun to read, gives a good insight into his life on and off the set and some of the things they used to get up to were hilarious. It also includes some behind the scenes information about his time in The Saint and The Persuaders.

I thought the last film was absolutely awful.. not Daniel Craig's fault though.. the producers and writers seem to be intent on killing the franchise off. Bond striking out on his own, with Moneypenny and Q as his quirky rebellious sidekicks.. Blofeld suddenly being re-introduced with his ridiculous backstory "cuckooooo!". And the massive explosion at the end, which just happened to be the biggest explosion in a movie to date, like that is the only qualifying reason people want to make or watch films anymore. And just happened to occur at a base with nothing explosive in it (it was a digital information store). I know Bond has always been a bit far fetched, but some of the crap that passes for a Bond film recently have been unwatchable. I don't know who they're made for. The young people don't like them, and neither do the old skool Bond fans. Not all of the later films are dreadful, but the trend is certainly heading towards dreadfulness.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Major_Tom wrote:I recommend the "Bond on Bond" book to everyone who feels the same
I recently bought his 'My Word Is My Bond' book, haven't read it properly yet, but looks to be a fascinating read.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

That looks cool, going to order one too.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

..and he was in the Cannonball Run.
kind of playing himself.
pbar

Post by pbar »

I watched that a little while ago as part of my own films-from-the-golden-era-which-I-haven't-properly-seen-but-really-should, season. Enjoyed it.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

R.I.P Roger.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Best James Bond (IMHO) ..
His character put the fun into bond, RIP Roger.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzCIbhLUUA0
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

That was the first stunt that was calculated by computer. The guy did it first time!

Also not afraid to show his merciless side.

https://youtu.be/XbqxXFv1sik

..he usually quite respected his baddies (Scaramanga for example.. Kamal Khan..) but he fucking hated Stromberg. I suppose he was a letcherous sex pervert. And his "big idea" (use nuclear weapons to render the Earth uninhabitable and force everyone to live in his underwater kingdom) made Drax's plan sound reasonable... and that was to live on a space station for like 2 years whilst he killed off the entire human race with nerve gas and then started again. At least Drax intended to USE the Earth's surface :lol: Don't think that earned Stromberg any brownie points.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Major_Tom wrote:That looks cool, going to order one too.
You will enjoy it Tom. What a life he's had.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

What's your favourite film?

Mine has to be For Your Eyes Only.. not too over the top, some amazing stunts, good characters and a simple no frills story.

That helicopter sequence at the start is astonishing.. can't see anyone being crazy enough to fly like that today. Amazing skills!
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Major_Tom wrote:What's your favourite film?

Mine has to be For Your Eyes Only..
Toss up Tom, could be Live and Let Die since. As an impressionable 13 year old I was besotted with Jane Seymour - and she's still good today!

But For Your Eyes Only just about edges it. I love Roger's 'don't you just love a drive in the country' quip in the 2CV car chase. I'm sure it was an adlib. The woman in the car creases up when he says it if you watch as the scene cuts.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

I often wondered why Bond didn't take another few rounds of ammo for his revolver with him in the Live and Let Die finale - he uses three rounds on a bloody mannequin!

That 2CV chase is great.. in fact all the chases in that film are good.. like the bobsleigh track scene where he is chased by a motorcycle (I believe a stuntman was killed before filming began getting that sequence correct).
pbar

Post by pbar »

Major_Tom wrote:What's your favourite film?
Bond or any Roger Moore film? He made one called The Man Who Haunted Himself in 1970, which I really like. There is actually a line in that film where he says (and this is years before he played Bond), something like I'm not James Bond you know.

As far as Bond goes it's a hard choice. I find myself watching Man With The Golden Gun when it's being shown (was on the other day). I have so many favourite scenes, that Lotus coming out of the water in Spy Who Loved Me for example.

I love the way the he could offer a sarcastic but well mannered response in any situation. A guy may have him at gunpoint and shout at him to get in that cupboard now. He might reply with - how could I refuse such an irresistible invitation. Brilliant!
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Ha ha, yes, there's that moment in Man With the Golden Gun when he's waiting outside the shower and the woman inside hears him. She emerges with a little pocket handgun. He just smiles and says "a water pistol?" :lol:

I only caught the first half hour of The Man Who Haunted Himself before I had to go out but it looked really entertaining.. must add that to my list.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Major_Tom wrote:Ha ha, yes, there's that moment in Man With the Golden Gun when he's waiting outside the shower and the woman inside hears him. She emerges with a little pocket handgun. He just smiles and says "a water pistol?" :lol:
Yes, that's just the thing, exactly :) I'd love to be able to get through life like that!