Boot spray

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Alanb67
Car(s): Ford capri 1.6L

Boot spray

Post by Alanb67 »

The previous owner of my Capri had a go at repairing some stone chips on the boot lid but has made a bit of a mess of it. I got a coulpe of quotes to re spray it, one was £100 and the other was £200. The £100 was just the main bottom bit. The £200 pound quote was panting the whole boot lid, also taking the window out. I know the cheap quote is fair price but i think i would like the job done properly. Is £200 a fair price for a boot lid respray?
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Re: Boot spray

Post by Stish704 »

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Yeah, if it includes taking the glass out then £200 does seem reasonable.
Alanb67

Post by Alanb67 »

Yeah....i thought it was ok. Think I"ll get him to do the job.....Thanks.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Why would they take the glass out? Totally unnecessary and they are bonded in, gonna have a real hard time removing it and it's old and brittle so there's the risk in breaking it.
Any painter worth their salt should be able to simply mask it up properly and leave the glass in. If you have the earlier type rubber they can remove that then mask up the glass and just put the rubber back afterwards, this will ensure the paint gets applied to the edges under the rubber properly hence why they think they should remove the glass but it's totally unnecessary and just adds extra labour and risk.
I've painted 3 tailgates this way, looks perfect every time.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Alanb67 wrote:Is £200 a fair price for a boot lid respray?
Sounds very cheap to me. What do you get for that though? Will it be a blow over or are they doing much prep, stripping off the old paint, any rust or repairs to make? I suppose they won't know until they do take the glass and seals out.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

It's a good price... but be sure you don't get...

I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

From the classic Towed In A Hole. Brilliant.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

pbar wrote:
Alanb67 wrote:Is £200 a fair price for a boot lid respray?
Sounds very cheap to me. What do you get for that though? Will it be a blow over or are they doing much prep, stripping off the old paint, any rust or repairs to make? I suppose they won't know until they do take the glass and seals out.
I'd hope they'd be taking it down to metal, or at least the original primer layer. Still cant figure out why they need to take the glass out though.
Alanb67

Post by Alanb67 »

Maybe my mistake. He said he would remove the rubber, i took it once the rubber was removed the glass would come away. Hes going to remove the lock and buff the tailgate down and respray it. The £100 pound quote was just a rubdown and a blow over. I think i prefer to get it done properly.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Alanb67 wrote: I think i prefer to get it done properly.
Quite right too!
I'm sure that some rear windows are bonded in and others aren't. I think it's dependant on the year of manufacture. If you can remove it prior to painting, the finished result will be better.

Andrew.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Alanb67 wrote:Maybe my mistake. He said he would remove the rubber, i took it once the rubber was removed the glass would come away. Hes going to remove the lock and buff the tailgate down and respray it. The £100 pound quote was just a rubdown and a blow over. I think i prefer to get it done properly.
Possibly. Certain years have a different type of rubber (i think earlier models) have a removable rubber thats separate from the window, though ive had both kinds and i think they are both removable but it was a long time ago so i cant be sure.