Look what I spotted today...

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Look what I spotted today...

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi chaps,

Was paying a visit to my local Asda this afternoon and spotted this in the car park in the rain...

Image20170426_142011 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image20170426_142019 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Re: Look what I spotted today...

Post by Taff50ish »

Nice to see another classic with the same Headlight up-grade as I fitted to mine..... He must use it a lot, great to see them still out n about..... Cheers Nick...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
Good spot, it's great to see these classic Fords out and about.
This one looks as though it could benefit from your valance refurbishment skills. :)

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

It must be great to have the guts to drive a car like that all the time, no matter where you're going, no matter the weather. Just think of the fun and enjoyment that driver has. Thanks for posting Nick, love seeing these cars in everyday life.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:It must be great to have the guts to drive a car like that all the time, no matter where you're going, no matter the weather. Just think of the fun and enjoyment that driver has. Thanks for posting Nick, love seeing these cars in everyday life.
:agree: Too many are locked away now, but saying that I have seen more 'Classics' on the road over the winter months than ever before......

They all look so small nowadays next to the 'Euro Boxes' :shock:
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:
Too right Andy. I think that modern cars are far too wide, really ugly, and getting wider and wider. Yet car parking spaces, roads, garages, are not getting any wider. No wonder car park door dings are so commonplace. I hate parking anywhere, even if there are no cars around, coming back to it with a massive ugly SUV an inch away is horrible.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:
Too right Andy. I think that modern cars are far too wide, really ugly, and getting wider and wider. Yet car parking spaces, roads, garages, are not getting any wider. No wonder car park door dings are so commonplace. I hate parking anywhere, even if there are no cars around, coming back to it with a massive ugly SUV an inch away is horrible.
Our Tesco car park has quite wide spaces, so IF people park correctly there shouldn't be an issue.....But the standard of driving nowadays I won't hold my breath :( I would never take my XR there anyway.

When I took it in for tyres, there was a 2013 Astra next to it, and the Sierra looked tiny from the back end, even though it's not a small car :shock:
I think many older cars have a lower roofline which also makes them look smaller.
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Yeah, cars are getting taller, so drivers have better visibility. Problem is, everyone ends up at the same height so it makes no difference in traffic. I hate the massive pillars modern cars have... they're dangerous. And the tropical bay of plastic between you and the windscreen... what the fuck is that about?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Its about crumple zones.
Push the bulkhead forward and have a deep dash, and that keeps you way back from a front-ender.
and thicker pillars mean better rollover protection (at cost of forward visibility arc).
Same with the width. All those side impact bars and "protection zones" need more width.
Skinny A pillars are so 1960s....!
But at least the Capri has a big C pillar to make up for it! See coupes are safer!!

Noel.
andyd

Post by andyd »

I think what MT is trying to say is newer cars are :turd: :)
pbar

Post by pbar »

I love it when I'm sat at a junction waiting to turn and a great big ugly SUV/MUV pulls alongside and completely blocks the view. Don't they realise!
Noel
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8i
Range Rover
M140i

Post by Noel »

Not sure modern cars are complete plops, but there are a lot more compromises to safety that can make the driving experience somewhat worse.

And the weight has gone up a lot on your average modern car.
This makes even the heavier V6 Capris seem light and nimble by comparison.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:I love it when I'm sat at a junction waiting to turn and a great big ugly SUV/MUV pulls alongside and completely blocks the view. Don't they realise!
Do they care :roll:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Noel wrote:Not sure modern cars are complete plops, but there are a lot more compromises to safety that can make the driving experience somewhat worse.

And the weight has gone up a lot on your average modern car.
This makes even the heavier V6 Capris seem light and nimble by comparison.
Some modern cars I prefer over others, but not a huge fan of many.
Some will do 150 mph +, but where in the UK can you legally do it? Licence losers!

If there weren't as may safety devices, maybe people would drive better?

Lives were just as important in previous decades as they are now.....We are all pampered too much nowadays.

Well, this is the F*****G Rant Section :) :wave:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: If there weren't as may safety devices, maybe people would drive better?
Interesting thought, but I doubt it. People seem to be so inconsiderate these days, and they are also in such a hurry, I think they will always take ridiculous risks to save those precious few seconds of their valuable time.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote: If there weren't as may safety devices, maybe people would drive better?
Interesting thought, but I doubt it. People seem to be so inconsiderate these days, and they are also in such a hurry, I think they will always take ridiculous risks to save those precious few seconds of their valuable time.

Andrew.
Sad but true Andrew :( All in their little bubbles and can't see anything that's not on their 'To Do' list that day :doh:

No forward planning or they can't get up 5 minutes earlier in the morning......The more I see and read the more disheartened I get with ignorant and stupid people :banghead:
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Noel wrote:There are a lot more compromises to safety that can make the driving experience somewhat worse.
Yeah, agreed, they're so much heavier that 130 brake doesn't do anything. And they all have ESP to help them around the corners!

I had a 4x4 in the wrong lane at a roundabout, on my right, trying to turn left last year... and he honked me to move.... but I couldn't see because he was in the wrong lane and his bonnet blocked my view. I crept forward, to see, but so did he! I was SO angry.. wrong lane, wrong car, wrong driver... trying to remain calm out there is a big challenge. But I did it, just about.

I was driving my mum's Pug 207CC yesterday and we had a chest of drawers in the back, so the tailgate wouldn't close. All the way home it was cheeping at us and the computer was saying "Boot open!". I thought right, you like annoying me with messages do you?! And I slightly opened the driver's door (I was practically outside my destination). It says "Door and Boot Open!" so then I got Julie Ann to open the other door. "Doors and boot open!" Then I applied the handbrake a bit. "Handbrake applied!" and "doors and boot open!" were fighting each other for dominance and when I finally pulled up, the windows wouldn't close! I laughed a lot. I can't stand being told what to do by machines. WE are the masters! NOT the machines!

It's low on fuel currently ("Fuel Level Too (?) Low!") so next I am going to try opening the roof whilst moving, with the boot open, the doors open and the handbrake on and no seatbelts on. See what it makes of that. Will let you know.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Major_Tom wrote:
Noel wrote:There are a lot more compromises to safety that can make the driving experience somewhat worse.
Yeah, agreed, they're so much heavier that 130 brake doesn't do anything.

I had a 4x4 in the wrong lane at a roundabout, on my right, trying to turn left last year... and he honked me to move.... but I couldn't see because he was in the wrong lane and his bonnet blocked my view. I crept forward, to see, but so did he! I was SO angry.. wrong lane, wrong car, wrong driver... trying to remain calm out there is a big challenge. But I did it, just about.

I was driving my mum's Pug 207CC yesterday and we had a chest of drawers in the back, so the tailgate wouldn't close. All the way home it was cheeping at us and the computer was saying "Boot open!". I thought right, you like annoying me with messages do you?! And I slightly opened the driver's door (I was practically outside my destination). It says "Door and Boot Open!" so then I got Julie Ann to open the other door. "Doors and boot open!" Then I applied the handbrake a bit. "Handbrake applied!" and "doors and boot open!" were fighting each other for dominance and when I finally pulled up, the windows wouldn't close! I laughed a lot. I can't stand being told what to do by machines. WE are the masters! NOT the machines!

It's low on fuel currently ("Fuel Level Too (?) Low!") so next I am going to try opening the roof whilst moving, with the boot open, the doors open and the handbrake on and no seatbelts on. See what it makes of that. Will let you know.
I know the boot is open, I have a chest of drawers sticking out of it :lol:

Reversing sensors really get on my nerves, especially when you get out and you are 6 feet short of the obstacle behind you :doh:
I ignore it now, and in the rear view mirror I line the rear wiper with the garage door handle, and I'm just right about an inch from the door :D

Driving, it's just common sense, not rocket science.......
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

Daisy had someone reverse into her Capri at a petrol station a while back. The guy gets out and says "I heard the parking sensors going off - I just thought it was a hedge"! Good job it wasn't a child. Moron. Great example of how safety equipment just makes people complacent. There was a time when that driver would have used his eyes, windows and mirrors to reverse.

Oh, I totally forgot to wind up the Pug in the end, I just got in it and drove! I'll get it next time...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Major_Tom wrote: There was a time when that driver would have used his eyes, windows and mirrors to reverse.
That reminds me. These days you never see people opening the door and leaning out whilst reversing. That's probably a good thing as they were never looking to see what was going on along the passenger side..... :lol:

Andrew.