help for a modeller

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
rgriffs
Car(s): Alfa Romeo 145

help for a modeller

Post by rgriffs »

Would anyone who owns a mk3 capri wish to help me out with a few measurements from their car to assist me with making a 1/24 th scale model. I have a few variants of models but require a few key measurements to help me along. Nothing too technical, just tape measure stuff. Thanks in anticipation.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Re: help for a modeller

Post by Not_Anumber »

il see what i can do as the car is parked right outside my front door at present. What measurements do you need :?:
rgriffs

Post by rgriffs »

For now if you could give me the width of the front and rear edges of the bonnet. And the same of your rear hatch . also a quick measure across the top of the b pillar. I have a shell which I think looks good from the side but rubbish from above as it's too narrow I am just trying to establish what's wrong with it. Thanks very much for helping out.
Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Post by Pas28i »

I remember the American mk2 models always looked too narrow but ok on side profile!
I'd say they were about the most, 5mm needs adding to their width (this is a guess mine are locked away).

Have you tried measuring other scale model capris to work out the 1/24 measurements?
Maybe the workshop manual might have dimensions to work with?
rgriffs

Post by rgriffs »

I have the amt 1/25 scale kit which looks the best. The monogram mk2, and the tamiya zakspeed kits. I think a few measurements may just help me decide how to go about creating a fairly good likeness of a standard shell. I only do 1/24 by the way, it fits in with my other stuff
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Great project, it sounds really interesting.
I've measured mine for you. The bonnet is a uniform width top to bottom, give or take a few mm, at 1273mm. The tailgate, however, is 1351mm at the widest part, which is along the bottom edge, and tapers to 1090 near the top. The top is hard to define and measure, as there are quite pronounced curves at the corners.
I hope that this helps.

Andrew.
Last edited by Andrew 2.8i on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi again,
The B pillar, including the door frame, is 49mm wide at the top.

Andrew.
rgriffs

Post by rgriffs »

Pas28i wrote:I remember the American mk2 models always looked too narrow but ok on side profile!
I'd say they were about the most, 5mm needs adding to their width (this is a guess mine are locked away).

Have you tried measuring other scale model capris to work out the 1/24 measurements?
Maybe the workshop manual might have dimensions to work with?
Thanks for your reply. I think you are correct about the American kit, been looking at the same thing as you have.
rgriffs

Post by rgriffs »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
Great project, it sounds really interesting.
I've measured mine for you. The bonnet is a uniform width top to bottom, give or take a few mm, at 1273mm. The tailgate, however, is 1351mm at the widest part, which is along the bottom edge, and tapers to 1090 near the top. The top is hard to define and measure, as there are quite pronounced curves at the corners.
I hope that this helps.

Andrew.
Thanks. It confirms my thoughts about the kits I have. If I may call on you again sometime for some info. Project is still in the planning stage as I have to complete my supervan 2 model. I want to try to make a passable standard mk3 shell in 1/24th scale
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

rgriffs wrote: If I may call on you again sometime for some info.
Hi,
Yes, no problem at all.

Out of interest, are you planning on scratchbuilding the bodyshell or making a code 3 from another kit/model?

Andrew.
rgriffs

Post by rgriffs »

I'm robably going to start off using a shell I have as a starting point. A monogram mk2. But your measurements have confirmed that it is too narrow. Other than an inacurrate shell, the rest of the kit is rubbish so scratchbuilding and modification is the only way to go. my interest lies with the group 1 touring cars. I first saw them in 1978 at oulton park. I would like to cast copies in resin when i have a good master, I could also do road cars.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

rgriffs wrote:I only do 1/24 by the way, it fits in with my other stuff
Hi,
In my opinion, 1/24 is the perfect scale as it's big enough to show plenty of detail, yet is small enough to easily display.
I look forward to more updates of your Capri project as it progresses.

Andrew.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

rgriffs wrote:I'm robably going to start off using a shell I have as a starting point. A monogram mk2. But your measurements have confirmed that it is too narrow. Other than an inacurrate shell, the rest of the kit is rubbish so scratchbuilding and modification is the only way to go. my interest lies with the group 1 touring cars. I first saw them in 1978 at oulton park. I would like to cast copies in resin when i have a good master, I could also do road cars.
Would love to see photos when it's at that sort of stage! :)
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

So I thought I would post here I have asked Mrs Santa to get me a silver 2.8 model for Xmas in 1/18 size so I can snap a exhaust of and paint in my mercury grey and make it look like my Capri but I can not find any laser stickers on line but have seen people making them in the past .
So question is or can anybody help with the Capri laser stripes and boot badges in 1/18 size ?

Might need more then one set just in case it looks rubbish also I did try looking it up on google and all I got was Nicks Capri on google ...
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

I reckon any place that does printing will be able to make up some stickers to your specifications.
You'll need the dimensions and some photos for them to scan, like the ones here:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-M ... 0619287477

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Guess what you have hit the nail on the head as I have bought some transparency printer paper and thought i would try my self and there on that listing is a picture of the stripes and laser I can copy and paste on to the computer ...

I don’t know why they don’t do laser 1/18 stickers as I have found 2.8 injection and the S model that are the water airfix type

Cheers Andrew .
Pas28i
Car(s): 06 Polo 1.4s (new daily driver), mk2 Golf Gti (was my daily), and 2.8injection Special (awaiting recommissioning)

Post by Pas28i »

If you’re going to have a go making decals I think a laser jet printer is said to be better.

I’ve only seen one laser 1 18 modified Capri using the Norev model as the base, and the Norev is the most popular, as they’re diecast , but Minichamps do the 1 18 resin mk3 so maybe they’ll start using them...
The S and injections are what everyone creates and I’ve seen a great version of a GL and a Ghia!

Dmb graphics would be able to help, when I asked them, they wanted dimensions...they did the Ghia decals for a modeller.
Drop them an email!
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

Yes your right I wonder how good I would do with getting the size and print off I will email them once I have the car my wife has got the norev 1/18 silver 2.8 i only know that as I sent the link and yes I have seen some really good mock ups done but only one laser who was on Facebook but he got his decals from a friend 5 years ago .
Just hope when I take the car apart to spray I don’t break any think . The price of the things is so much when I was a kid I got a car every month with my pocket money a matchbox was only about 40p and you got a big bag of sweets for 10p and black jacks we’re 1p for two sweets . Sorry did I sound like my dad then ............
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Printing your own decals is a great idea, why not give it a try? Obviously use plain paper for trial and error and then use the sticker paper when you've got it spot on.

I wouldn't worry too much about damaging anything when you strip the model down. There's usually sellers on Ebay who break them for parts. Just like the real thing!

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Jasonmarie wrote:So I thought I would post here I have asked Mrs Santa to get me a silver 2.8 model for Xmas in 1/18 size so I can snap a exhaust of and paint in my mercury grey and make it look like my Capri but I can not find any laser stickers on line but have seen people making them in the past .
So question is or can anybody help with the Capri laser stripes and boot badges in 1/18 size ?

Might need more then one set just in case it looks rubbish also I did try looking it up on google and all I got was Nicks Capri on google ...
I could put you in touch with the chap who custom made this if you like, it's really great quality, I've seen a lot of stuff which he has made, mostly police/emergency vehicles including several Capri's, and I assume he makes his own decals, he may be able to offer some advice or even produce them -