I was about to insure my car when..

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

I was about to insure my car when..

Post by Major_Tom »

..was just picking up the phone on Friday when I had a call from a mate of mine. She was feeling really under the weather and asked for a lift home. She's my sister from another mister so I said no worries. She works at one of the colleges in Cambridge.

I got there... two fire engines, three ambulances, two Volvo estate ambulances, a bike, alarms going off everywhere. There had been a massive carbon monoxide leak! Two people had collapsed inside the building (!) and a bunch more were feelin really ill outside and were on oxygen. Emma (my mate) was okay as she had got out as soon as she felt ill. Ten others had to go to hospital.

They missed the classic sign of a poisoning: everyone getting unwell at the same time with the same symptoms. Unbelievable really.. everyone assumed it was a virus and kept on working and it nearly cost them the ultimate price. It jut goes to show how people put work and soldiering on before their health.. which is great so long as it doesn't cost you your life!

I have read a bit about CO poisoning.. it's very interesting actually. Whereas carbon dioxide suffocates you and prevents oxygen uptake into your bloodstream, carbon monoxide bonds preferentially with your red blood cells over oxygen. It "fits" better in the cell (design flaw from the Holy Father), which is why it's such a killer, even at low concentrations you'll take it in over good air.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: I was about to insure my car when..

Post by Paul G »

Just shows how everyone ought to have a CO detector in their house.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Paul G wrote:Just shows how everyone ought to have a CO detector in their house.
:agree: For what they cost it's a must!!!
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks heavens she was alright.

+1 for a household CO detector
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

This was at her work at a Cambridge College. Gas fired boiler malfunctioned, loads of people inside!
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

A very close call, I'm glad everyone is OK.

Andrew.