Pricey...?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Pricey...?

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Looks nice.....Although the trouble with repainted cars is how good is the respray and prep work???
:agree:
The new paintwork could be hiding a whole heap of trouble. Why would somebody who's owned a car for 14 years have it resprayed then sell it?

I note that one of the failures of the latest MOT was "Offside Front Vehicle structure is damaged, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings Cross member". It could be something to watch out for if it hasn't been repaired properly.

Andrew.
Test date 15 March 2017 Test Result Fail Odometer reading 75,156 miles MOT test number 2808 4606 2815 Reason(s) for failure
Front Direction indicator not working Both indicators (1.4.A.2c)
Front Hazard warning lamps inoperative Both lamps (1.4.B.1b)
Nearside Front passenger door cannot be opened from inside the vehicle (6.2.B.1b)
Nearside Front passenger door cannot be opened from outside the vehicle (6.2.B.1b)
Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded Chassis leg (chalked) (2.4.A.3)
Offside Front Vehicle structure is damaged, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings Cross member (chalked) (6.1.B.2)
Suspension component mounting prescribed area is severely distorted Passenger footwell (chalked) (2.4.A.3)
Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded Drivers foot well (chalked) (2.4.A.3)
Nearside Inner Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings Sill (chalked) (6.1.B.2)
Battery insecure (1.9.1)
Advisory notice item(s)
Under body heavily coated in under seal (front to rear)
Brake pipes heavily coated in under seal (front to rear)

Too much Underseal is never a good thing.....Could be a http://www.backstorynews.com/wp-content ... 666666.jpg
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Too much Underseal is never a good thing
Hi Andy,
Too true. It could be a good thing too though, as the underseal may protect the underside from corrosion. It's more likely to be hiding nasties though, as you say. If the buyer wanted to restore the underside to standard spec, they would have to spend a good while scraping off all that goo.

Andrew
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Too much Underseal is never a good thing
Hi Andy,
Too true. It could be a good thing too though, as the underseal may protect the underside from corrosion. It's more likely to be hiding nasties though, as you say. If the buyer wanted to restore the underside to standard spec, they would have to spend a good while scraping off all that goo.

Andrew
Underseal, good for seller but not necessarily good for buyer......I speak with some experience :whistle:

Clear Waxoyl is a better option imo
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

The car in the original post has been for the MOT every year, so hasn't been laid up, but has only been used for 300 miles in the last 10 years!

Andrew.