is it just me

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

is it just me

Post by stevemarl »

Reading the local paper before (something I do less and less nowadays, I really don`t like the obsession with vacuous celebrities) and it seems there is to be a 10k run at the end of May. In the interests of inclusion and `differently abled awareness`, electric wheelchairs will be allowed to compete this year. Am I missing something?
Discuss.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: is it just me

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote:Discuss.
That story has clearly been printed a week early......

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:That story has clearly been printed a week early......
:lol: If only....
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

You mean it's a true story? I must resist the temptation to say it's political correctness gone mad.

I can resist no longer.....it's political correctness gone mad! :roll:

OK, I sort of get the point of what the organisers are trying to achieve, however, I doubt even the electric wheelchair users themselves will feel a sense of achievement at completing the 10K "run" under electric power.
I wonder how many pitstops they will have to make for replacement batteries? :lol:

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: I doubt even the electric wheelchair users themselves will feel a sense of achievement
Oh no, it seems they`ve been campaigning to be included.... I can understand someone in a manually propelled chair wanting to take part and would wholeheartedly support them, as that would be a real challenge - and in the spirit of the event - but elecric vehicles? i might as well argue that my mum `might` like to compete, the only thing stopping her are her age, alzheimers, and the fact she can barely walk. We should therefore be allowed to put the blue badge in the Capri and join the party!!! Crazy.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Out of curiosity, I've just done a little research (yes, I have too much time on my hands!)
The fastest time that the Great Manchester 10K run has been completed in is 27m 24s, by Micah Kogo from Kenyah in 2007.
The fastest electric wheelchair I've found online, the BM3 Powerchair, has a top speed of 16MPH. This means that it, theoretically, can complete the course in 23m 18s........

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

You see, this is thing, I had this image of some poor sweat drenched guy with heat-stroke, collapsed by the side of the road in a pool of vomit, looks up to see a smiling woman whizzing past in her wheelchair.... Now it seems even Kenyan athletes would be left for dust.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

OTOH, think of the sponsorship potential: ... `The Quingo Greater Manchester 10K run`
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

They just want to participate, to be a part of it rather than watching from the sidelines and honestly, whats wrong with that?
Just because someone is disabled doesn't mean they should be excluded from things.
Its just about giving them the opportunity to be a part of something, their lives are tough/hard enough as they are so why not allow them a moment of joy if this is what they want to be a part of?
I highly doubt anyones gonna be counting their scores or times.
I mean ffs nobody has issue with these people who run these marathons dressed as T-rex or a phone box or some other nonsense, so why do people have an issue with this?

This is acceptable:

But a disabled person isnt?

Thats some seriously questionable shit.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

No, I was talking about disabled people in an electrically powered vehicle, where there is no training, no effort and no exertion involved. That seems an insult to people who struggle to complete the course?
If you notice, I did say that I thought wheelchairs were fine, it`s just electrically powered ones are a joke.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

stevemarl wrote:No, I was talking about disabled people in an electrically powered vehicle, where there is no training, no effort and no exertion involved. That seems an insult to people who struggle to complete the course?
If you notice, I did say that I thought wheelchairs were fine, it`s just electrically powered ones are a joke.
If its an electric wheelchair then surely the disability is so severe that they can not move under their own power, so how exactly are they supposed to train?
Again, its not about competing to beat others, its just about being part of the experience, a experience anyone should be entitled to, and not something that should be exclusive to able bodied people only, thats just a tiny bit discriminatory dont you think?.
And like ive already shown, you think these people who enter it dressed as a 8-foot dinosaur have had all that much training? Why weren't they taken so seriously that they could possibly beat the pros? Some of those outfits could aid aerodynamics! :tongue:
Because it was obvious that was never the intention, they just wanted to be a part of it, or do something for charity. Ever think this is the same situation, especially if that charity is something that helps them with their day to day lives?

To think they are entering to beat the pro athletes at the top of their game by "cheating" with an electric wheelchair is.....well, kinda "silly", to put it in the nicest way possible.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Arya2.0S wrote:This is acceptable:
I'm not sure that is acceptable. Bactrian camels can run at up to 65km/h. Now, that is cheating! :lol:

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

As you seem to think you have the moral high ground here and I am obviously some hard - hearted fascistic bigot with no time for the lame or sick, look what I found in the boot:
Here`s our other wheelchair - and the wheelable comode: (Reg plate to prove their mine)

I still say mechanically propelled vehicles in a running race is .. ridiculous.
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Woah there! Talk about jumping the gun!

No i wasn't taking the "moral high ground" at any point, im sorry if thinking inclusivity is important is a "moral how ground" to you.
I was just explaining how its a bit wrong to deny these people the opportunity to partake in something we can all do just because they are disabled, and how its silly to think that - just because they are in an electric wheelchair - they are some how going to "cheat" and "beat" the pro athletes at their game, all the while people can dress up as all sorts of insane, idiotic costumes and partake and nobody bats an eye.
Theres also the whole Paralympian thing to consider, should they not be allowed to partake too?
Whether the wheelchair is electric or not is a moot point i feel.
I was just trying to understand the logic because it made no sense and to just act like these people have no right to do something like this based purely on their disability is by definition discrimination unfortunately, whether that was your intention or not which i dont think it was but thats how it sounded...to me at least *shrug*.

You have every right to express that viewpoint however, just as i have a right to not agree with it and to express mine in response.

TBH, i'm even more confused by your standpoint on the matter after you shared your pictures.

No need to get uncivilised about it though, no one used words or names like "bigot" etc here, until you mentioned it that is.

Oh and BTW im disabled too so do with that what you please. I just dont feel the need to mention it as a means that disqualifies me from criticism or the same treatment as everyone else so please don't expect any photos. ;)

If you think mechanically propelled "vehicles" (since when was a life-allowing method of help classed as a vehicle?) shouldn't be allowed thats fine, as i said you have every right to express that just as i have every right to disagree. :)
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

The camel has the hump so we dont have to :chillpill:
Arya2.0S

Post by Arya2.0S »

Not_Anumber wrote:The camel has the hump so we dont have to :chillpill:
Yo, im chill as an igloo home-slice. :cool:

Was just offering an alternative opinion on the matter...we cant all think the same way 100% of the time and sometimes we'll disagree on subjects, but thats healthy so long as the debate doesn't turn into a bitch-fest. :beer:
fordperv
Car(s): too many

Post by fordperv »

Im picturing it like robot wars between the electric wheelchairs at the back, i wonder if modifications are allowed, could you imagine a souped up electric wheelchair whizzing past you while your running along

This is in no way a poke at the lesser abled folks
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSHZhgram2E

This would win whether the user is able bodied or not. So long as they can steer and stop it.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSHZhgram2E

This would win whether the user is able bodied or not. So long as they can steer and stop it.
Crikey.....that looks lethal!

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hmmm....bet these electric wheelchair users don't get refused entry into a 10k run...would you tell them they can't :lol:

Image2017-03-31_09-59-24 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Image2017-03-30_10-12-41 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...