Insurance sorted !

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Insurance sorted !

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi,

Well, all this talk recently of insurance/valuations has given me the boot up the backside to finally get mine sorted with a 'proper' agreed valuation as in the past I have been bit lazy with this. I decided to leave my current insurers Performance Direct as their charge of £40 to renew with them was a bit steep, and this decision to leave them was reinforced when I just spoke to them just now to cancel with them. The conversation took 60secs...no word of a lie !! The phone operator on phone really seemed completely "not bothered" and clicked a button and that was it....did not even try to persuade me to stay with them. I had sat down ready for a "tussle" with them and was left holding my cuppa in shock :lol:

Seriously though this proved my point that £40 to do the same "clicks" to renew my policy is a total rip off ! Ah well......

So anyway after looking around, getting some quotes and heads up from here, I decided to go with Footman James at £99 fully comp including an agreed value of £8000 with an excess of £50 with limited mileage of 2000. I also informed them of all the mods I done too so its all proper sorted now. Footman James really do seem very well geared up for the Classic owner as their insurance includes shows/events which tbh I did not know if this was included in my previous insurers. Probably was but nice to know for sure that it is now.

Yep, went for £8000 in the end which we agreed over the phone. Don't even need to send in any photos. FJ say they only ask for this if values exceed £12-15k. Anything less that looks reasonable they agree over the phone.

Renewal fee for them is £10 so when this comes round next year its more acceptable than £40 !

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Insurance sorted !

Post by andyd »

Hi Nick,
Sounds like you had a good deal, as you have separate breakdown cover I presume?

Will give FJ a try when insurance is due, especially if you don't have to send photos for agreed value sub £12k......Very trusting :o

Andy
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
Glad you've got your insurance sorted. I'll give FJ a try too when my insurance is due for renewal.

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

andyd wrote:Will give FJ a try when insurance is due, especially if you don't have to send photos for agreed value sub £12k......Very trusting :o
Me too!
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Nick,
Glad you've got your insurance sorted. I'll give FJ a try too when my insurance is due for renewal.

Andrew.
If I can just tell them a figure and they believe it I might try 8K too! Why not eh!!? :lol:

Also Andrew, you've changed your picture and it will be strange not seeing a white sideways cappa on most threads! Change it back! :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

D366Y wrote: Change it back! :lol:
You've persuaded me! :)
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

andyd wrote:Will give FJ a try when insurance is due, especially if you don't have to send photos for agreed value sub £12k......Very trusting :o
Andy, I even mentioned that other companies want pics with a form. She pretty much said that if the 'self valuation' was obviously taking the piss then pics would be requested ! Yep pretty much based on trust to a certain extent. They charge a tenner for the agreed valuation which I included in my £99 premium so premium was actually £89 before that. As said FJ really do seem very 'classic' friendly and were by far the cheapest quote I got but there were many companies I could still have contacted. Think I got a fair deal so went with it :)
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

I'm also with FJ and they seem a reasonable firm so far.

I have a garage and the clause in the policy states that the car must be normally kept there, and if it is parked other than in a garage between 10pm-6am no claims for twoc or vandalism will be accepted. However if you are more than 2 miles from your garage then it's fine (presumably to differentiate between holidays/visiting friends and not bothering to put the car in the garage). They also stated that if it was necessary for the car to be in another garage or on the street for a particular night (e.g. if it went into a mechanics) then I could ring them and they could make a temporary adjustment, for no charge.

All this being said, I'm a cynic at heart and they always say you find out how good/bad an insurer is when you have to claim!
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
D366Y wrote: Change it back! :lol:
You've persuaded me! :)
That's better, I know who you are now :D
Stish704
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 injection special. Weekends only!
Sierra Sapphire- rolling restoration.
Vauxhall Movano- the company vehicle.
Vauxhall Mokka. The wife’s!

Post by Stish704 »

I've been with FJ for a couple of years now and cant fault them. I changed my agreed value for my car this year and they agreed instantly. Cost me another £12 but I could not argue with that. I valued it at £12000 up from £8500 when I first got it and no hassle at all! Never had a claim yet and hopefully never will do!
andyd

Post by andyd »

tejb1 wrote:
All this being said, I'm a cynic at heart and they always say you find out how good/bad an insurer is when you have to claim!
Unfortunately that's very true.....So the cheaper the better just incase :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:So the cheaper the better just incase :D
:agree:
As long as the level of cover is adequate for your needs.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:So the cheaper the better just incase :D
:agree:
As long as the level of cover is adequate for your needs.

Andrew.
Of course...... :)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

tejb1 wrote:I'm also with FJ and they seem a reasonable firm so far.

I have a garage and the clause in the policy states that the car must be normally kept there, and if it is parked other than in a garage between 10pm-6am no claims for twoc or vandalism will be accepted. However if you are more than 2 miles from your garage then it's fine
Most insurers seem to have similar clauses like this, there was quite an extensive thread about it on here once. In essence, if you drive up the road to a friend a few doors away and park up and stay there til 10.30pm or pop to the shops, your insurance is invalid. Yet, as you say, park up in some very dodgy area 2.1 miles away and leave it there all night then you are ok!
capri28
Car(s): Rosso Red Ford Capri 2.8i Special 1986 D reg (Daily driver)
Stratos Silver Ford Capri 2.8i Special 1986 D reg (Summer driver)

Post by capri28 »

FJ are brilliant for me, I've owned my capri since 2009 & they have been my privider from the begining of ownership.
I would definately recommend them. I have both my capri's on one policy with agreed value on each & breakdown cover.

I had an accident in 2015 (hit third party in rear) no damage to her car, we both were unhurt, I was only going max. 8mph at the point of impact, month later she claimed for whiplash & damage to her bumper, I obviously told them is was utter nonsence & i would fight this all the way!
They backed me up & she was found out & the claim got thrown out....brilliant company.