Champion Failure

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Champion Failure

Post by Peter-S »

So I took the 2.8 off the road last October but I've started it once or twice over winter. The last time a couple of weekends back it didn't seem to be running as well as it had been so, ignoring the advice in Paul's flowchart, I tinkered with it! It seemed to be running rich on idle and I had doubts about the warm up regulator so I swapped it for a spare. At the same time I noticed the air auxiliary valve was slightly out of adjustment and somehow there was a blockage in the fuel pipe from fuel distributor to warm up regulator. Sorted all this out and she wouldn't start. There was an occasional cough and sometimes a few seconds running then it died. So I tinkered some more, changed the fuel pump, put the old accumulator back on, tried a different metering head and a couple of times just coaxed her in to life. But tweaking the mixture settings one way or the other made little difference and after revving it one time Sunday it died and that was that.
Definitely had a spark, there was fuel at the plugs - perhaps too much? So another WUR strip down put that on last night and nothing. Went out again tonight - nothing. I was about to swap the ignition module when I noticed some old NGK spark plugs on the shelf so I took the easiest four to get at , fairly new, Champion plugs out and bunged the NGK ones in. Started first time! Put the other two in as well and its not running too badly at all. Pity I didn't try that a week ago although I'm not sure why the Champion plugs seem to have given up the ghost in that way :?
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Champion Failure

Post by Paul G »

Human nature Peter, we all look for the difficult answers when something ten bob to fix is staring us in the face! Glad it's OK now.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Peter-S wrote:ignoring the advice in Paul's flowchart, I tinkered with it!
You fool! :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Peter,
Glad you've got it sorted, and the car should go like a dream after the little fixes you've made to the fuel system.
It's strange that your newish Champion plugs had failed. I prefer this brand above all others, and have always found them to be, ahem, "champion".

Andrew.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I've only ever used NGK plugs, but that's only because they are always the ones I get sent when ordering from wherever, including the usual Capri parts suppliers.

I tend to keep two sets, so that I can change them over whenever I wish to, then clean the used set at my leisure. Then when I decide to clean/check the current ones, the already cleaned spare set will go in, and so on.
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

pbar wrote:
Peter-S wrote:ignoring the advice in Paul's flowchart, I tinkered with it!
You fool! :D
Guilty :oops: :lol:
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Peter,
It's strange that your newish Champion plugs had failed. I prefer this brand above all others, and have always found them to be, ahem, "champion".

Andrew.
On reflection these were probably the plugs that were in the car last summer when the rad went and I cooked the head gaskets so maybe they didn't really like it!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr