Edd China retires from Wheeler Dealers !

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Edd China retires from Wheeler Dealers !

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi,

Yep as title Edd is hanging up his gloves...or should I say torque wrenches, to move onto 'other projects'. Good old Edd :)

There will still be a new series with Ant Anstead working with Mike. I like Ant. Top bloke and another master mechanic ! Should be good for the show. Think it needed a slightly new direction after all this time :)

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Iwan22

Re: Edd China retires from Wheeler Dealers !

Post by Iwan22 »

Interesting. Since moving to the US and being inundated with "Reality" shows, I've grown a new appreciation for Wheeler Dealers. What I like about it is they try and do car renovations on a budget, and its something us home grown mechanics can appreciate. While these shows like "Overhauling" are easy watching, they bear no resemblance to reality for most people as they are money no object rebuilds. :lowrider:
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Perhaps he's had enough of Mike stroking and rubbing freshly painted cars....I know I have :doh:

Ant Anstead seems a good replacement.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

I suppose the partnership had to end at some point, they have been doing this for ages, since 2003 and 13 series I think.

Wonder if, (like so many others 'acts' when a long time member is replaced) this will be the start of the decline for this show.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Hope not, enjoyed watching the show over the years. Enjoyed watching Ed, they seemed to work well together. The stuff that Ant has done is top quality, hope they do another Capri to make up for the tragic attempt they did the first time around.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Caprifan Rob wrote:Hope not, enjoyed watching the show over the years. Enjoyed watching Ed, they seemed to work well together. The stuff that Ant has done is top quality, hope they do another Capri to make up for the tragic attempt they did the first time around.
Hello New Boy :lol:

That first Capri was pretty bad, would be nice to see another one :D Even on Car SOS, I'm not fussy...... or an XR
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

Thats a big surprise! Ive always enjoyed watching the show, they actually show the work that goes into these things, and teaches a few things every now and then....ya know, like a car restoration show should!

At least this Ant guy is a good replacement, but i fear they will lose that chemistry Ed and Mike had....kinda like Top Gear did when they were forced to change presenters.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

andyd wrote: Hello New Boy :lol:

That first Capri was pretty bad, would be nice to see another one :D Even on Car SOS, I'm not fussy...... or an XR
:agree: & Thanks for the welcome ;) :D
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Everyone,
I think what made WD so successful was the on screen chemistry between Edd and Mike. Maybe if Ant and Mike can't replicate that the next series might be the last.

Andrew.

That Caprifan Rob seems familiar. ..... :lol:
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

It appears that the new programme makers are dumbing down the 'spannerin' and focusing on the bollocks about Mike blagging and dealing.
Everything that's wrong with SOS in my humble.
I enjoy Ed and Fuzz getting down and dirty but get bored and a tad irritated by the likes of Mike and Tim poncing about.
As much as I like the new guy from 'tother programme, he ain't Ed.
I'll tune in but I'll have to look at the show from a different angle ........
I'm very interested in Ed's new projects though.. hope he does well, he seems like the kind of bloke I could have a pint with :cheers:
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Everyone,
I think what made WD so successful was the on screen chemistry between Edd and Mike. Maybe if Ant and Mike can't replicate that the next series might be the last.

Andrew.

That Caprifan Rob seems familiar. ..... :lol:
I agree with Andrew...........the end is nigh :axe:
Taff50ish
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 2.8 Injection Special, every few days.
VW Tiguan for daily & boaring runs.
Triumph Speed Triple 1050, Now unfortunately gone...
Triumph 1200 Tiger XCA instead... Now also gone.
Tiger XRT instead... No, gone too...
BMW R1250RS Exec... Try this one out (old man syndrome).

Post by Taff50ish »

Hi All,

A crying shame to be honest, I've loved watching these and the re-runs.... I was watching the TVR Chassis change one the other night, brilliant. I did think however, the last American series, the Magic seemed to have worn a little.... Mike spannering etc, just didn't seem to sit too well.

So, moving on. Ant, he was great with Phil Glenister,(If that was his name???) so fingers crosssed for a great gelling of Mike & Ant.... Wishing them the best and as has been said. Mike, if your reading this, we want to see another Capri!!! Or how about 'A Capri is Re-Born'??? Cheers,

John...
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

timfromull wrote:It appears that the new programme makers are dumbing down the 'spannerin' and focusing on the bollocks about Mike blagging and dealing.
Everything that's wrong with SOS in my humble.
I enjoy Ed and Fuzz getting down and dirty but get bored and a tad irritated by the likes of Mike and Tim poncing about.
As much as I like the new guy from 'tother programme, he ain't Ed.
I'll tune in but I'll have to look at the show from a different angle ........
I'm very interested in Ed's new projects though.. hope he does well, he seems like the kind of bloke I could have a pint with :cheers:
I agree with that. I don't generally watch the progs live so I fast fwd some of the crap Tim set up stuff and skip some bits of Mike. Ed in the workshop was always best and it sounds like the producers don't appreciate that. time will tell I guess.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Wheeler Dealers was Mike and Edd, just like Minder was Arthur and Terry. With a change of key personnel and production values (as mentioned in Edd's clip), I can only see the show sinking until it disappears. Again, just like Minder (and most every TV show when this happens) did.

They may have been better creating a new show, although obviously they wish to play on the WD name.

Shame really, but everything has an end.