Ratchet Axle Stands

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Ratchet Axle Stands

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Morning,
I hope you are well.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a decent pair of ratchet axle stands?
I saw these and they look to be good quality at a keen price.

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/jsr2-axl ... AmCF8P8HAQ

Any advice gratefully received.

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Re: Ratchet Axle Stands

Post by stevemarl »

Bloody hell, I was going to recommend the Draper ones I got from amazon - till I saw the price of yours! Definitely get them, they (as a type) are much safer than the `pin through hole` ones. (if you saw my pic some time back?)
I did look at the very same ones, but they were a lot more at the time. Very sturdy looking
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

stevemarl wrote:they (as a type) are much safer than the `pin through hole` ones. (if you saw my pic some time back?)
I did look at the very same ones, but they were a lot more at the time. Very sturdy looking
Hi Steve,
Thank you. From the photo, it looks like these have a supplementary safety system of the pin (in this case a triangular section wedge) that goes through a hole for additional support. These do look sturdy and safe.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Does anybody have any recommendations for a decent pair of ratchet axle stands?
I saw these and they look to be good quality at a keen price.
Hi Andrew,

I completely agree with Steve. Those axle stands look amazing value for money mate. I got these 3 ton ratchet stands from Halfords a few years back and they are very good...

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/ ... jack-stand

But, I was, and still am a slight bit apprehensive when setting these up. I always double check to make sure they are locked solid. Where I can I have the trolley jack just sitting off the cars weight too just in case, to have an extra security, but sometimes I need the jack out of the way completely so put my complete faith in the stands. Mrs Fordoholic Nick hates it when I do this ! In reality there is no way they should fail as the 'wedges' are very heavy duty, but the ones you are looking at Andrew have got the extra security with that safety bar which is a great feature and they are 4 ton as well...all for just under £18 !!! Get them mate !

I am very tempted myself to get a set of these myself Andrew...very tempted indeed ! I was thinking of having an extra set as it would be really useful to be able to have all four corners of the car off the floor to work underneath it without the agro of having to keep moving the stands :)

All the best

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

stevemarl wrote:Bloody hell, I was going to recommend the Draper ones I got from amazon - till I saw the price of yours! Definitely get them, they (as a type) are much safer than the `pin through hole` ones. (if you saw my pic some time back?)
No, what happened?
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Major_Tom wrote:
stevemarl wrote:Bloody hell, I was going to recommend the Draper ones I got from amazon - till I saw the price of yours! Definitely get them, they (as a type) are much safer than the `pin through hole` ones. (if you saw my pic some time back?)
No, what happened?
:drama: Yep, what happened Steve ? Obviously you are still with us thankfully so its not as bad as it might have been, but it does sound like one of those "lucky escape" tales......
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Er, well its what nearly happened.... And I think I`m pretty careful. :lol:

URL=http://s1269.photobucket.com/user/steve ... 4.jpg.html]Image[/URL]
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

It's never a nice feeling one gets when seeing a picture like that.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: I was thinking of having an extra set as it would be really useful to be able to have all four corners of the car off the floor to work underneath it without the agro of having to keep moving the stand.
Hi Nick,
As I rule, I never go under the car when completely off the ground and supported by axle stands. In that situation, the wheels can't be chocked for security. However, lifting all the wheels off the ground can be useful for winter storage and for taking all the wheels off (if not working underneath).

Please excuse my ignorance, but I've never owned any ratchet axle stands before. Are the ratchet stands set to the correct height before placing them under the car? I can't imagine that the stands will be able to be ratcheted to a greater height once the weight if the car is resting on them.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Major_Tom wrote:It's never a nice feeling one gets when seeing a picture like that.
:agree:

A close call there, but at least nothing did happen. Phew!

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Are the ratchet stands set to the correct height before placing them under the car?
Yes, you jack the car up, place stand underneath and pull up to the height required (obviously this is an inch or so less than the jacked height to allow for `rise` of ratchet.)
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Got the same ones as Nick, the Halfords ones. Can recommend that type Andrew. The ones you've seen look great for the price. Go for it .
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Thank you for all your replies, very helpful as always.
I've placed an order for the SGS ones. While I was on the site, I also bought one of their low profile trolley jacks and some folding wheel chocks. It seemed rude not to! :D

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:While I was on the site, I also bought one of their low profile trolley jacks and some folding wheel chocks. It seemed rude not to! :D
Nice one Andrew. Some great buys there mate ! Those low profile trolley jacks are brilliant for the Capri fella. Coupled with the axle stands and chocks you really have treated yourself :D

With all this new garage equipment you bought today mate will you be upholstering your garage sofa too mate...seem a bit rude not to :lol: :sorry:
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:As I rule, I never go under the car when completely off the ground and supported by axle stands
Bloody Hell Andrew, that sounds very painful on your back ! I usually just lie on the floor when I go under the car mate :)
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

SGS Engineering seem to do some really good stuff, I was thinking of buying a generator from them. And most of the reviews of that company do seem to be favourable.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

It doesn't seem right does it, that you are entrusting your life to something which costs £18!
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I bought an SCS compressor and have been very pleased with it. It came with a load of freebies like an air ratchet and impact gun, all of which seem to work fine. They also regassed my Capri tailgate struts and supplied new ones for my SD1 Vitesse's bonnet.

The axle stands look a good buy. Personally I've got a pair of Sealey ones and a pair of quite old Kamasa ones which have given years of good service.

Re safe jacking, when I was teaching motor mechanics I taught the students to jack the vehicle up, put the axle stands in place then lower the vehicle on to them but leave the jack also in place wherever possible. I then insisted that the removed wheels were slid under the car as an extra failsafe should everything else collapse. The width of the wheel could be the best 6 inches you ever had if your feet etc were under the car!

The number of students I had that followed these instructions to the letter, got the car jacked up etc, then realised they hadn't loosened the wheel nuts beggared belief!
stevemarl
Donator
Donator

Post by stevemarl »

I once took a car to have wheels balanced. This was a fly-by-night firm which appeared then was gone months later. Firstly, I didn`t need new tyres balancing (?), when I insisted, they did exactly what you just said, jacked it up THEN tried to get the nuts off! Didn`t go back.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:The number of students I had that followed these instructions to the letter, got the car jacked up etc, then realised they hadn't loosened the wheel nuts beggared belief!
I suppose they only ever make that mistake once though!

Andrew.