Ratchet Axle Stands

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Ratchet Axle Stands

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Paul G wrote:The number of students I had that followed these instructions to the letter, got the car jacked up etc, then realised they hadn't loosened the wheel nuts beggared belief!
I suppose they only ever make that mistake once though!

Andrew.
Unfortunately not! It got to the point that I would make them jack it all down again, put the jacks and stands away and then loosen the nuts before getting the equipment out again. Soon got comments such as "this is long" (means takes a long time, I got good at translating then current yoof-speak!) but they got the idea in the end.

Later, when they had got it right, I showed them how to crack the nuts with a breaker bar in the air and let them loose with the windy gun! Those that were really dense got a jack handle slid up their overall sleeves and they were then hoisted up on the engine crane. Trouble was they enjoyed that and all wanted a go! You can't win!

:deadhorse:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:Those that were really dense got a jack handle slid up their overall sleeves and they were then hoisted up on the engine crane.
Brilliant! Can't see it being allowed to happen these days though. :roll:

Andrew.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

these days it might even be regarded as a violation of their human rights to be sent out to buy a left handed spanner and a long weight.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Plenty of them were sent to another instructor to get a long weight, as well as a tub of elbow grease, a glass hammer and a tin of tartan paint.