Millers Oil VSPe Batch Date or Expiry Date ?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Millers Oil VSPe Batch Date or Expiry Date ?

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Hi chaps,

A question if I may please. I bought 6 tubs of this last year on ebay...

Image20170314_161910 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Now I only noticed recently that the date stamped on it is well past, as it is 4-4-16...

Image20170314_162016 by nicholas bowler, on Flickr

Does anyone know if this is just a 'batch' date rather than 'expiry/use by' ? I am presuming this stuff must have a very long shelf life so its more than likely just a batch date. ? Any comments much appreciated.

All the best,

Nick
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Millers Oil VSPe Batch Date or Expiry Date ?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Nick,
I definitely wouldn't drink that, it will be well past it's best....... :D

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Nick,
On a serious note (well, less idiotic anyway :) ) I recently bought a bottle to try. I've just been out to the garage to check the stamped date and it shows a date from last year. Therefore, I would imagine that it is the production date.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:I definitely wouldn't drink that, it will be well past it's best.......
Would not recommend it Andrew...just tried drinking a tub to report back my findings here..... and must admit I did feel a bit dodgy afterwards mate.....

https://thumb9.shutterstock.com/display ... 506308.jpg
Andrew 2.8i wrote:I recently bought a bottle to try. I've just been out to the garage to check the stamped date and it shows a date from last year. Therefore, I would imagine that it is the production date.
Thanks Andrew. It certainly seems to be a production/batch date of some kind then. Cheers !
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Fordoholic Nick wrote: It certainly seems to be a production/batch date of some kind then. Cheers !
Nick,
I think so. I bought mine from Opie Oils, I've bought loads of stuff from them in the past and they seem trustworthy.
I wouldn't have thought they'd be selling old stock that was paSt it's shelf life.

I was a bit reluctant to use this stuff at first because of the cost as one bottle only treats one tankful of fuel. However, some of the outlay should be able to be recouped by filling up with regular unleaded instead of super. As the VSPE contains octane boosting ingredients, it seems unecessary to buy the higher octane petrol.

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Andrew 2.8i wrote:However, some of the outlay should be able to be recouped by filling up with regular unleaded instead of super. As the VSPE contains octane boosting ingredients, it seems unecessary to buy the higher octane petrol.
Andrew I do this very thing. Use regular unleaded with this VSPE additive. Yep at first I was a bit put off by the price too but if its good for the engine its good for me too :)

If B112 was my daily runner too then it could get very costly but as its a 'weekend only' car its not so bad.

All the best

Nick
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but Nick's question has got me thinking.
Does anybody think that Millers VSPe could degrade over time, even if the bottle is not opened?
Just curious as I've bought a big job lot that will probably last me until the end of next year, if not a little longer.
Thanks in advance! :)

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but Nick's question has got me thinking.
Does anybody think that Millers VSPe could degrade over time, even if the bottle is not opened?
Just curious as I've bought a big job lot that will probably last me until the end of next year, if not a little longer.
Thanks in advance! :)

Andrew.
I would think it would be fine Andrew.

I have bought 2 x 5 litre Millers engine oil presuming that's ok if unopened until required.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

I also use millers as it helps with the ethonal on the pipes I hope it will last me a few years so should be ok to store .

Here is what I use .

Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

I was thinking of using this in mine. It's been backed by Fuzz Townsend.

https://www.classic-oils.net/TetraBOOST-E-Guard-15

I'm also lucky that there is a garage about 4 miles from me that sells 4 star, albeit at quite a price per litre.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:I'm also lucky that there is a garage about 4 miles from me that sells 4 star, albeit at quite a price per litre.
There used to be a list of stations that sell 4 star on the FBHVC website, but it's been blank for a while now. I assumed that the Government had outlawed the sale of it, so it is nice to hear that it is still available. The last time I saw some for sale was about 5 years ago at a small garage in Leicestershire, the sort of place where a man in overalls fills your car up for you. :)

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

We had another post on here of all the good things about it I know my valves have all been done but it helps with higher octan as well . As I am guess here and it was Peter who has this larger bottle I got as the small ones are about £8 a shot .

Christ 4* never thought I would see that again . Also how much is that a litre, think I payed £1.41 Saturday for super unleaded .
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote: Christ 4* never thought I would see that again . Also how much is that a litre, think I payed £1.41 Saturday for super unleaded .
I hope Paul can answer this one as I'd like to know too. To give you an idea, When I saw it in early 2014, it was £2.40 a litre when regular unleaded was selling for around £1.30.

Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Jasonmarie wrote:Here is what I use .

I have seen that. What I can't understand is that the 500ml bottle you've got treats 500 litres of fuel, but the smaller bottle as shown in Nick's photo is 250ml and treats only 50 litres. :headscratch: If it is exactly the same stuff, after all it has exactly the same name, why does your bottle treat five times as much fuel per litre as the smaller bottle?

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote: Christ 4* never thought I would see that again . Also how much is that a litre, think I payed £1.41 Saturday for super unleaded .
I hope Paul can answer this one as I'd like to know too. To give you an idea, When I saw it in early 2014, it was £2.40 a litre when regular unleaded was selling for around £1.30.

Andrew.
I'll give them a call tomorrow and see how much it is. it is a small they serve you type garage but it's also a Ford dealer, Platts of Marlow.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Hi chaps,

Funny this thread of mine was resurrected by Andrew as I am down to my last tub of VSPe and need to buy some more. There are quite a few similar products on the market like the one that Paul mentioned but as the Capri has been running well on VSPe I think I will stick with this while it is still easy enough to get. Will be interesting to see the 'batch date' on the ones I get.

Wow ! Amazing Paul has a petrol station near him still selling 4 Star. The last place I used to get it from is now a car wash business but it still has a bit of thee old price sign for the 4 star :lol:

All the best

Nick
SmokeEm
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 14.0 1/4 mile with a 'few' bits missing

Post by SmokeEm »

Just saying... If you upgrade your cylinder head to a Vulcan Stage 3 head, you will no longer be required to use any additive, therefore saving money in the .... very long future :lol:
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:

Andrew.
*UPDATE*

Just phoned Platts of Marlow and the 4 star is £169.9 per litre. Don't know how that would compare with using super unleaded plus an additive?
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Accordingly to google the current average price of fuel...

petrol - 128.4
Diesel -131.6
Super Unleaded - 139.3
Premium Diesel 145.6

Not sure how accurate that is or how they figure it out mind
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:Don't know how that would compare with using super unleaded plus an additive?
I think the additive is to be used with regular 95 RON unleaded petrol to increase the rating to 97 RON. 4 star is 97 or 98 RON, if I remember correctly?
The cheapest I've seen the Millers additive, if bought in bulk, is £10 per bottle (getoffroad.com). That treats 50 litres per bottle, so will add 20p to the price of petrol per litre. Using Danny's prices, that makes unleaded plus a Miller's additive 21p per litre cheaper than the 4 star petrol.
The Tetraboost costs £23.25 per bottle if a case is puchased. A bottle treats 108 litres of fuel to make an additional cost of 22p per litre.
VSPE multishot adds only 5p to each litre of fuel.

Andrew.