Considering a 2.8i overseas

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Iwan22

Considering a 2.8i overseas

Post by Iwan22 »

Some of you might have seen this on the Capriworld facebook page, but a gentleman near me has one of the few MK3's in the USA and is considering selling it. It's a 1986 2.8i (Special?) He wants $5000 for it which to me is overpriced but at the same time it is a MK3 which is my favourite variant of Capri. You can get MK1's over here fairly cheap but they are rare as hens teeth and I fancy the idea of getting one to make a Perana replica, however I also have the option of this MK3 which I'm considering. Now if I wanted a Mk3 it would cost about £1000 to ship it and there are better examples in the UK bearing in mind this one needs at least a whole drivers front inner wing. Here are some pics:

Images deleted

What do people think? He hasn't had much interest in it being a RHD car, so that works in my favor but I'm not sure whether to try and get this sometime or wait for a US spec Mercury Capri (Mk1) to turn up. I'm in no rush but just thought I'd ask for an opinion on this car. If I got this, it would have to be a long term total rebuild project. Thanks
Last edited by Iwan22 on Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Considering a 2.8i overseas

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi Iwan,
Although this car is only $5000,around £4100 by my calculation, to buy, I think it would be more cost effective to import a restored car that won't cost a fortune to repair. Have you considered importing a LHD car from continental Europe?

Andrew.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

I agree with Andrew though it is not a bad price and it might be worth you working out the cost of the parts needed to restore it. I guess the deciding factor is whether you would be intending to do much of the work yourself or pay for a body shop to do that.
Iwan22

Post by Iwan22 »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi Iwan,
Although this car is only $5000,around £4100 by my calculation, to buy, I think it would be more cost effective to import a restored car that won't cost a fortune to repair. Have you considered importing a LHD car from continental Europe?

Andrew.
Agreed. That car needs too much work compared to another one and that would probably end up costing more. Great suggestion! That had never really crossed my mind and especially as I thought the MK3 was only sold in the UK (ignoring the Zakspeed) so I had a quick look on Leboncoin and what little French I could understand tried to do a nationwide search, here is what I found!

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1103833550.htm?ca=2_s

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1098672316.htm?ca=2_s

I particularly like this one, the paint job needs redoing but I've always loved the S models

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1081591571.htm?ca=2_s

This one's a bit lairy!

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1101683637.htm?ca=2_s

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1084562225.htm?ca=2_s

This one has been repainted, looks nice

https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1078135976.htm?ca=2_s

In all honesty, I wouldn't be fussed about getting a 2.8 in particular in that case, I could get a 4 pot and fit a V8 if I desired later but I'm really excited and when funds allow think this is the way forward. Not sure how I'd communicate with a French seller though. Thanks Andrew!

Not_Anumber wrote:I agree with Andrew though it is not a bad price and it might be worth you working out the cost of the parts needed to restore it. I guess the deciding factor is whether you would be intending to do much of the work yourself or pay for a body shop to do that.
Exactly what I was thinking. The rust is more than cosmetic and certainly replacing that front inner wing is more than I'd want to do myself.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Personally I think the Blue one with the side louvres and the last silver one are my faves :)

My French isn't all that either but the others seem to be needing that work again in some places.... the 1.6GL is a nice little number but wouldn't want to see you take another one off the road to put a V8 in, there will be none left :lol:

The S model with the green all over I'm also not sold on but each to their own I guess??

I think the best way to get in touch would be to email or text if possible...? Everyone can use Google Translate surely? Got me an A GSCE in French so can't be that bad :lol:
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
It just goes to show that there is a choice of LHD cars available. One job that you'll probably want to do to one of these is to fit an MPH speedo instead of the continental standard KPH one. Other than that, they should be ready to roll.

Out of interest, are you planning on viewing a car before purchase or buying blind?

Andrew.
Iwan22

Post by Iwan22 »

D366Y wrote:Personally I think the Blue one with the side louvres and the last silver one are my faves :)

My French isn't all that either but the others seem to be needing that work again in some places.... the 1.6GL is a nice little number but wouldn't want to see you take another one off the road to put a V8 in, there will be none left :lol:

The S model with the green all over I'm also not sold on but each to their own I guess??

I think the best way to get in touch would be to email or text if possible...? Everyone can use Google Translate surely? Got me an A GSCE in French so can't be that bad :lol:
Yeah I think if I found a 4 banger that wasn't original I wouldn't mind putting another engine in it. However if I found an original 2.8 or nice S model I would probably keep it stock. Yeah I'll cross the translation bridge when I get to it!
Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
It just goes to show that there is a choice of LHD cars available. One job that you'll probably want to do to one of these is to fit an MPH speedo instead of the continental standard KPH one. Other than that, they should be ready to roll.

Out of interest, are you planning on viewing a car before purchase or buying blind?

Andrew.
Exactly, and I found more looking today and because they are LHD they don't seem to be fetching the silly prices ones in the UK are. Yes I was thinking that too, would it be a straight swap or would a cable/drive gear swap be needed too?

Well I wouldn't be able to view one myself. In central France I have a friend who can view but other than that I would be buying blind as you say.
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

You can import a car to the US for a grand!! How.....??

I'll bring my Mk 3 over too..

Cheapest via container (as it would have to be loaded to train for last part of the journey) was 6k euros from Dublin to Toronto to Edmonton. I have the detailed pricing from shipping company and it added up fast..

What route would you be going?
:spam:
Iwan22

Post by Iwan22 »

Craigorypeck wrote:You can import a car to the US for a grand!! How.....??

I'll bring my Mk 3 over too..

Cheapest via container (as it would have to be loaded to train for last part of the journey) was 6k euros from Dublin to Toronto to Edmonton. I have the detailed pricing from shipping company and it added up fast..

What route would you be going?

RoRo Southampton to East Coast.
Craigorypeck
Car(s): Mk III Capri- 2.0 YB cossie lump with eaton blower on bike carbs. Problem... its 4000 miles away.
MK1 resto- 2.3 Turbo or Charger, both probably
Chevy Cobalt

Post by Craigorypeck »

Does that include brokerage fees and what about import duty.? Are you located close to the east coast?? I'd seek out a capri on this side of the Atlantic if possible. There are some not many but some are around.

There are a few here.

http://www.2040-cars.com/Mercury/Capri/
:spam:
Iwan22

Post by Iwan22 »

A friend shipped a Landrover Defender 110 over last October from Soton to Baltimore, this is what it cost him:

Export clearance 25GBP
Documentation 25GBP
Terminal handling 50GBP
AMS fee 55GBP
Ocean freight $1048
BAF $157 (Bunker Adjustment Factor )

US customs and import fees ended up being $700 but some of that was due to it being a Landrover, they are notorious for people badging models under 25 years old as older ones so they need more thorough inspection. For any other car (bar a Mini) It would probably be nearer $500. So considerably cheaper then the 6000 Euro's to ship in a container. That's the very same reason I sold my MGB V8 instead of bringing it over. I'm currently on the West Coast but might be moving to the East for work.

I will still consider one here, but the only roadworthy one I have seen in 9 months is one in AZ that sold before I could even get it looked at and I don't want a total rebuild job. Plus my favourite is the MK3. Thanks for the link, I had seen that but all those cars from the second line down have been on there since last summer so are expired adverts I'd imagine.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Iwan22 wrote:so that works in my favor
Hi Iwan,
Have you been in the good ol' USA very long?
I've just noticed you're learning the lingo! :lol:

Andrew.
Iwan22

Post by Iwan22 »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
Iwan22 wrote:so that works in my favor
Hi Iwan,
Have you been in the good ol' USA very long?
I've just noticed you're learning the lingo! :lol:

Andrew.
Just under a year, but sometimes I post using my wife's new iMac and it auto corrects everything to American! Don't worry, I'm not shouting yeehaw just yet :)