Bus Lane Cameras and Fines.

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Bus Lane Cameras and Fines.

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi All,
A recent freedom of information request has revealed that local councils earned more than £31,000,000 in 2015 from fining drivers for driving in bus lanes.
The biggest earning camera in England was in Newcastle’s John Dobson Street, which raked in nearly £6,000 A DAY between February and October 2016!

Andrew.
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Re: Bus Lane Cameras and Fines.

Post by tejb1 »

Many people don't seem to read the signs. Which can work both ways - as you go up the hill to Muswell Hill there is a bus lane operational 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm only. Yet even when it is not operating, people avoid using it!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

tejb1 wrote:Many people don't seem to read the signs. Which can work both ways - as you go up the hill to Muswell Hill there is a bus lane operational 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm only. Yet even when it is not operating, people avoid using it!
Hi,
Good point. Most bus lanes I see are only operational during the morning and afternoon rush hours, and yet drivers avoid using them all day long.
Drivers also wouldn't get caught using the bus lanes when they shouldn't if they adhered to the times shown on the signs. Sure, there will be the odd person that uses the lanes to, for example, jump a queue, however, I bet that most drivers are simply oblivious to the rules.
It annoys me because it's all so simple to understand!

Andrew.
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:and yet drivers avoid using them all day long.
I get paid to drive in Bus Lanes every day Andrew :lol:
tejb1 wrote: as you go up the hill to Muswell Hill there is a bus lane operational 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm only. Yet even when it is not operating, people avoid using it!
:lol: What a small world it is fella. I actually drive up Muswell Hill every day at work as I do indeed drive the bus route 144 Edmonton Green to Muswell Hill :wave: !

So if I spot a Capri driving up the hill it might be you then ??

Yep, you are dead right...this bus lane is very rarely used by motorists even when as you say its not in operation. But between you and me there are no actual cameras up the hill anyway. The signs are just for a visual warning only. Maybe a police officer might pull someone up for using it while it is in operation but never seen this. Motorists usually "adjust" their driving when they see old bill. You might well know the Great Cambridge Road bus lane too then mate.

What makes my blood boil is the :wank: who scream past on the wrong side of the road to jump the queue of traffic at traffic light junctions. This happens every bleeding day at Wood Green Station. People crossing the road don't think to look to their right as they don't expect a car to be hurtling down the wrong side. They do it too to turn right into side roads. Rather than wait in the queue they drive up the wrong side at speed sometimes as much as 150m, just to avoid waiting 3-5mins !!!! Dont know how many extremely "close calls" I seen. Someone WILL get killed !
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
tejb1
Car(s): -V Capri 1.6L (under restoration)
W- Mondeo 2.0 Ghia Estate
03 Focus 1.6

Post by tejb1 »

Fordoholic Nick wrote:
tejb1 wrote: as you go up the hill to Muswell Hill there is a bus lane operational 7am-10am and 4pm-7pm only. Yet even when it is not operating, people avoid using it!
:lol: What a small world it is fella. I actually drive up Muswell Hill every day at work as I do indeed drive the bus route 144 Edmonton Green to Muswell Hill :wave: !

So if I spot a Capri driving up the hill it might be you then ??

Yep, you are dead right...this bus lane is very rarely used by motorists even when as you say its not in operation. But between you and me there are no actual cameras up the hill anyway. The signs are just for a visual warning only. Maybe a police officer might pull someone up for using it while it is in operation but never seen this. Motorists usually "adjust" their driving when they see old bill. You might well know the Great Cambridge Road bus lane too then mate.

What makes my blood boil is the :wank: who scream past on the wrong side of the road to jump the queue of traffic at traffic light junctions. This happens every bleeding day at Wood Green Station. People crossing the road don't think to look to their right as they don't expect a car to be hurtling down the wrong side. They do it too to turn right into side roads. Rather than wait in the queue they drive up the wrong side at speed sometimes as much as 150m, just to avoid waiting 3-5mins !!!! Dont know how many extremely "close calls" I seen. Someone WILL get killed !
Wow! Small world it is indeed... I catch the 144 from time to time, but if I see a 144 driver excitedly waving at me from the cab when I'm out in the Capri, I'll know its you!

Yes, a lot of inconsiderate and dangerous impatient drivers around the capital. Not to mention the frankly clueless minicab drivers with four sat navs on the dashboard of their Prius!
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Andrew 2.8i wrote: Good point. Most bus lanes I see are only operational during the morning and afternoon rush hours, and yet drivers avoid using them all day long.
I think that, in this day and age of fear of being fined for something or other left right and centre, a lot of people think it just safer to stay out of it all of the time.

I must admit, that when I drive in one (within the allowed times), I still worry. Especially as very few drivers do the same.