When will people learn?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

When will people learn?

Post by andyd »

http://home.bt.com/news/uk-news/new-dri ... 4160454803

You are in charge of a killing machine whilst driving, but it would appear too many idiots still don't get the danger of using a mobile phone when driving :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

I pulled up at a set of traffic lights a couple of weeks ago, and I looked to my right hand side to see a girl probably late teens early 20's, pick up her phone in her left hand and start touching the screen, within a second of stopping at the red light :doh:
I shouted across "Put your phone away" to which she wound down her passenger side window and said "Pardon"? I repeated my request to which see replied "I wasn't on my phone", I said you had it in your hand, again the reply "I wasn't on my phone", I said it is a illegal to touch the phone when driving, you can guess the reply again :doh: :doh: How naive. with all the warnings around about it being an offence to even pick up a phone when you are in the driving seat....I hope she thinks twice now :?

IMO it should be a £200 fine, 12 month ban and your insurance doubled when you get your licence back, similar to Drink Driving.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: When will people learn?

Post by Paul G »

:agree:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

"A driver who appeared to be talking to a parrot perched on the steering wheel was also stopped after his van was spotted swerving between lanes on the M20, the force said. "

:o :shock:
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

Irony alert:

"A journalist believed to be on his way to cover the launch of new penalties was also stopped for using his mobile while driving"
andyd

Post by andyd »

MS Injection wrote:Irony alert:

"A journalist believed to be on his way to cover the launch of new penalties was also stopped for using his mobile while driving"
Unbelievable....Like many others, I'm lucky enough remember the time before mobile phones :woot:

Nothing but a pain in the ass, when you can get a signal that is.....Unfortunately we cant really do without them as life seems to be awkward if you haven't got one now....Take me back to the 70's/80's with Phone Boxes, and if you broke down a long walk to find one :)

How did we ever used to manage :sarcasmalert:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I think people these days are too fixated by their mobiles. It's not just drivers, pedestrians also wander about in the road, totally oblivious to the danger of traffic. They won't hear quiet vehicles coming, and even being hit by a bicycle can be fatal.

Back to the original subject, drivers are willing to take the chance on using their mobiles because it's not an easy crime to detect. They most probably think that the chances of actually getting caught are slim.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Comment moved to "makes my blood boil" thread.
Last edited by Paul G on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Paul G wrote:And another. This car seems to be a favorite of theirs. I've reported it. :wank:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-2- ... SwB-1YuI-C
The Capri seems to be a popular target for scammers, and it's good to alert people of potential scam adverts.
Is this post in the correct thread though? :)

Andrew.
Paul G

Post by Paul G »

No, thanks for pointing that out, my old laptop jumped threads whilst i was logging in.!
Major_Tom
Car(s): 2.0S

Post by Major_Tom »

Viz had a top tip which says that you should stick a cut-out ear onto the back of your phone, so if you drive past a police car, it just looks like you're scratching your ear, which is not illegal.
I'm the one who leaves all those shoes in the carriageway.
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

What would happen if you just drove around talking into a TV remote and got pulled over?
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

In Manchester they`d probably think it was a gun and taser you.

(There was a blind guy at a station they tasered this week `cos they mistook his folded white stick for a gun.... easy mistake)
Major_Tom

Post by Major_Tom »

I heard about that - it was actually a samurai sword they mistook his stick for. Unbelievable.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I heard about they blind man thing on Jeremy Vine's show - unbelievable.
OK, they had to make a split second decision in what could have been a difficult situation, but when you think about it, most prosecutions are based on the evidence of Police officers and their judgement.
What if an officer with similar excellent observational skills "witnessed" you using a mobile whilst driving, when in reality you were just scratching your face? Your word against the theirs would be no contest........

Andrew.
stevemarl
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Capri 1.6 laser

Post by stevemarl »

Major_Tom wrote: it was actually a samurai sword they mistook his stick for. Unbelievable.
No, incredibly that was ANOTHER one a bit back - they`ve actually done it twice!!!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: it would appear too many idiots still don't get the danger of using a mobile phone when driving :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Gary Neville, who is apparently a footballer of some sort, is pictured in some papers today viewing his phone whilst driving.

As the title of the thread says, will they ever learn?

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote: it would appear too many idiots still don't get the danger of using a mobile phone when driving :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
Gary Neville, who is apparently a footballer of some sort, is pictured in some papers today viewing his phone whilst driving.

As the title of the thread says, will they ever learn?

Andrew.
Probably thinks he's above the law....Need to set an example with this :wank: And bring in a 12 month driving ban, as probably £200 fine to him is like 2p to most people.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Probably thinks he's above the law....Need to set an example with this
Hi Andy,
He'll probably instruct "Mr Loophole" Nick Freeman, the celebrity solicitor, to defend his case and get off scot free.

Andrew.
andyd

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
andyd wrote:Probably thinks he's above the law....Need to set an example with this
Hi Andy,
He'll probably instruct "Mr Loophole" Nick Freeman, the celebrity solicitor, to defend his case and get off scot free.

Andrew.
Caught red handed, but still money talks..... :banghead:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote:Caught red handed, but still money talks..... :banghead:
One rule for the rich....

Andrew.