Buying advice pinto, 2.8 or 2.9 ?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Buying advice pinto, 2.8 or 2.9 ?

Post by Not_Anumber »

Im looking to buy a Capri again having owned 2 in the past. Lots of other cars since but theres something about that shape.

What is the view on here about buying an engine swapped car. I spotted this 2.9 Cosworth on Ebay and wondered what the thoughts from owners is ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262803073937? ... EBIDX%3AIT

The advert isnt well presented but to a certain extent that just says me the seller is more about substance than presentation which might not be a bad thing. Ive asked the seller for some better photos, hopefully ones not taken in the gloom of a workshop or covered with snow.

To me the immediate plus points are

It started as a 2.8 injection so will have the correct inner wing reinforcing plates etc and right entry on the V5
2.9 engine is a reliable 200bhp thumper and a well regarded conversion
original interior
Poly bushes & axle location rods,
single rear leaf springs (if ive understood it right from that photo)
uprated front brakes plus rear discs
It started as a 2.8 injection so will have the right entry on the V5, correct inner wing reinforcing plates etc

The minus points
Would need Mk3 bumpers, side caps, overiders etc
Would need rubber side mouldings to restore originality

Bits I'd like your thoughts on:

As a 2.9 conversion is it worth more, less or the same as an original 2.8 injection car ?
Do the glass fibre wings and bonnet go against it

Anything else to ask or to look for ?
Does anyone know this car ?

Chris
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Re: Buying advice pinto, 2.8 or 2.9 ?

Post by Paul G »

This is a bit of a "how long is a bit of string" situation. Many people like modified cars like this and many, including me, don't.

As regards the engine, the Cosworth is a considerable power hike on the original Cologne and is generally reliable except for some being prone to timing chain failure which results in much more work, hassle and expense than fixing a shattered timing gear on a 2.8i does.

As regards the bumpers and side mouldings you could probably sell the MK2 ones fitted and nearly raise enough cash to cover buying all the Mk3 bits.

My biggest issue is the fibreglass front end which certaily would lower the car's value. Ford designed the car to have welded on steel wings and if something is welded on it probably is designed to aid the safety and structure of the car, contributing to the car's front end strength and rigidity. Ask your self if you would want to have a 200bhp car and be involved in a crash in it with strands of glass and plastic holding the front end together. I wouldn't, although that again is my personal opinion. If I were you I would price in getting a couple of pattern wings as well.

Fibreglass is fine if it's your only option to keep a car on the road, for relacing a bolt on wing, X-pack kits, or for lightening one for the track which is strengthened elsewhere. Obviously it is also fine in a car designed to be built of fibreglass but I feel extra strenghtening should be put in where it is replacing welded on panels. Like I said though, it's all a matter of opinion; thats mine and others will disagree.

Regarding value, if you look at all the really expensive 2.8i s they mostly seem to have their original engine fitted.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Just sold 1983 2.8 Injection 5 speed. Currently restoring another classic Previously owned 2 Capris. Likely to own another at some point

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks for the sound advice Paul. Ive passed on that one and am currently going for an early 2.8 injection that is in great shape, just in a non standard colour. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112278248903? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Chris
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

To my eyes that would be a much better bet, worth spending the extra if you have it and the colour is georgeous! Just a tad darker than the race blue on my Octavia VRS.

That said, if you want originality it could always be sprayed back to its original colour in the future.
Not_Anumber
Donator
Donator

Re: Buying advice - bought 1983 2.8i

Post by Not_Anumber »

I took your advice and bought the blue one, cant wait to collect it now. A set of stripes and decals are on their way from CapriGear for the first job and the next will be to rebuild the damaged parcel shelf.

I'l also be picking up a set of age appropriate 13" x 7 pepperpots to refurbish and keep by for when the tyres on the current 15" rims need replacing.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Re: Buying advice - bought 1983 2.8i

Post by andyd »

Not_Anumber wrote:I took your advice and bought the blue one, cant wait to collect it now. A set of stripes and decals are on their way from CapriGear for the first job and the next will be to rebuild the damaged parcel shelf.

I'l also be picking up a set of age appropriate 13" x 7 pepperpots to refurbish and keep by for when the tyres on the current 15" rims need replacing.
Nice one :D

Add some pics when you have got it sorted.....

:goodluck:
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Great looking 2.8, enjoy :wave: