Worth complaining

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Re: Worth complaining

Post by -JC- »

Companies offer incentives to get your business. If they're not willing to offer incentives to *keep* your business (without you having to ask) then it's best to vote with your feet imo.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

Peter-S wrote:Time for the annual 'I'm leaving' saga!
After getting a 'special discount' from RAC last year when I complained I've just had the renewal through for 2018. Premium up £55 or 35% on last year. So I just phoned to cancel and the premium is now less than last year and frozen at that level for next year. Probably should still tell them to stick it on principle really but I've got what I want so I'll leave it be.

No real surprise then - the renewal has come through and rather than being frozen it has gone up £55 so I phoned to query it. Hmm said the chap we should honour that promise if that's what we said, let me check your records. Lo and behold he found reference to freezing the premium and its now gone down to what it was last year. I'm sure they would have spotted this oversight anyway even if I hadn't phoned them!
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Fordoholic Nick
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser,
Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi

Post by Fordoholic Nick »

Peter-S wrote:No real surprise then - the renewal has come through and rather than being frozen it has gone up £55 so I phoned to query it. Hmm said the chap we should honour that promise if that's what we said, let me check your records. Lo and behold he found reference to freezing the premium and its now gone down to what it was last year. I'm sure they would have spotted this oversight anyway even if I hadn't phoned them!
Nice one Peter. Glad you got it sorted. Its enough to drive you to a nervous breakdown..... :lol: .... :sorry:
I was born a Fordoholic, They'll bury me a Fordoholic...
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

That's sneaky, and it's lucky that you are on top of the situation, Peter. I guess a lot of people would have taken the RAC at their word and assumed that they would freeze the renewal premium as promised, and not bothered to check their bank statements.

Andrew.
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Post by Jasonmarie »

Got all that next month with RAC & Car insurance also going to up the agreed value so should be interesting.
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

Re Green Flag....... I've always had great service from them. I get their cover with my bank account along with other benefits such as mobile phone cover etc.
On the times I've called them (average about once a year) they've tried to get me mobile but in each case had to be recovered due to major issue (Shogun or Vivaro van).
Always been a rapid service too so it seems we've all had different experiences with them :helpinghand:
ollyw
Car(s): 1984 B Reg 2.8i rebored to 2922cc near concours condition. Restored from near scrap condition.
1983 A Reg 2.8i Caspian Blue over Silver. Ongoing now roadworthy project from scrap condition

Post by ollyw »

nigecapri wrote:
stevemarl wrote: I find it`s now £165 !!!!!
Mines £245 a year with AA & that's after over 30 years membership and a being a 'Gold member'
No Claims would be a good idea for breakdowns but with only the big three having coverage domination it's never going to happen.
I’m a gold member too and have been with them 25 years. Every year when I get the renewal letter (which does tell you what they are going to charge) I ring them up and say is that the best you can do for 25 years loyalty. I also don’t accept the first figure answer either. Keep pushing them. These big conglomerate companies are making massive profits knowing that you’ll not be bothered to do anything at renewal time. I paid £165 for breakdown this year and that’s with my partner added as well.

I would add that I’ve not called them out for about 10 years now. Touch wood! But I also use that as a bargaining point.

Of course no doubt if you were to ring them and check they’ll deny it I imagine!

I like the AA some of the discounts they offer at the services etc are handy too. It’s just a shame their management structure is of a big soulless company now. Great shame.

Olly W
nigecapri
Car(s): Black 2.0S with supercharged bike carbs.

Post by nigecapri »

My AA policy is through my business so it's tax-deductible but these days I figure my cash is best invested in my future rather than insuring for something that might not happen - I'll be a bit more keen for next year's renewal. I've never used any of the discounted offers, they just don't apply to my lifestyle so I wouldn't miss them. Maybe save the cash and carry a few tools with me instead, 2 1/2 grand extra on retirement would be nice :D