Is a Brooklands worth the premium over a 2.8 Injection Special?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Iwan22

Is a Brooklands worth the premium over a 2.8 Injection Special?

Post by Iwan22 »

I'm considering getting a Capri again, and as I never had a 2.8i I'm considering one over the 4 pot's unless a lovely 4 pot comes up that I can't refuse. However, if I were to splurge out and go for a 2.8, is a Brooklands worth the extra premium over the 2.8 Inj Special? I know Brooklands are going for nearer £20K on average compared to £10K + for an Inj Special, so what are people's thoughts? It won't be until next year but I'm just thinking the Brooklands is the holy grail of MK3 Capri's so if I were to spend a considerable sum on a car whther it would be worth getting a Brooklands over the Special.

Thanks
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Is a Brooklands worth the premium over a 2.8 Injection Special?

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Are you buying to use the car for your own enjoyment, or with an eye on future resale value? If it's the latter, my thoughts are that the 280 will represent a better long term investment when compared to the regular 2.8 Special. If you are buying with the intention of using the car, why pay a considerable amount extra for a 280 over the special? Ultimately, only you can decide.

All the best,
Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
Are you buying to use the car for your own enjoyment, or with an eye on future resale value? If it's the latter, my thoughts are that the 280 will represent a better long term investment when compared to the regular 2.8 Special. If you are buying with the intention of using the car, why pay a considerable amount extra for a 280 over the special? Ultimately, only you can decide.

All the best,
Andrew.
:agree:
C4PR1
Car(s): two capris

Post by C4PR1 »

All the best,
Andrew.

I would buy a 2.8 special and have fun with it.. :D and not have to worry about the miles you put on it. :goodluck:
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i

Post by Peter-S »

I can't help feel that the more you spend on a classic car the less chance there is that you will actually use it which defeats the object of owning it in my view. If you get satisfaction from polishing and showing then the rarer 280 would probably be your preference but if you want to take it out and use it then a 2.8 with some spare cash in the bank to keep it good sounds a better proposition. Only you know what you want from the car in general though.
ImageBanner by Peter Smith, on Flickr
Iwan22

Post by Iwan22 »

All the best,
Andrew.
Diolch Andrew,

To be honest, it's a bit of both. If I bought a Capri, it would be the intent to keep it long term, but of course who knows what the future holds and resale might come into it. A 280 is the holy grail, I know it's basically a Special with 15in wheels and full leather seats but if I was wedging out a lot for a Capri it might be nice to have one, and I wouldn't be afraid to use it either, no more than a Special but I think when it comes time to buy I'll keep an open mind on both, if the right 280 comes along then great, but if likewise a Special comes up then I can get one of those.

Close to home Andrew, I'm from Fishguard originally, but far away from home now! In fact it was a colleague offering me a (Sadly rotten) 2.8I Special that's rekindled my fire :)
C4PR1 wrote:

I would buy a 2.8 special and have fun with it.. :D and not have to worry about the miles you put on it. :goodluck:
To be fair, neither would be my daily driver so wouldn't be having huge miles put on them, and I think in 20 years even a looked after 280 with higher miles would be worth more than a low mileage Special.
Peter-S wrote:I can't help feel that the more you spend on a classic car the less chance there is that you will actually use it which defeats the object of owning it in my view. If you get satisfaction from polishing and showing then the rarer 280 would probably be your preference but if you want to take it out and use it then a 2.8 with some spare cash in the bank to keep it good sounds a better proposition. Only you know what you want from the car in general though.
You know, that IS a very good point. I'm not sure how I would be with this as I have never owned a classic worth over 5 grand. As I say above I will consider both when I have sold my other cars and see where I stand.