Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
User avatar
pbar
Posts: 4698
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:01 am

Thanks guys, yes those loops really were exciting stuff! I had a double track and loads of cars so used to hold race meetings, it was fantastic.


User avatar
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Posts: 6153
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 am
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby Peter-S » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:16 am

pbar wrote:Thanks guys, yes those loops really were exciting stuff! I had a double track and loads of cars so used to hold race meetings, it was fantastic.


In a box somewhere in my loft I still have some old Matchbox cars that I never quite managed to get rid of :oops:
ImageImageImage

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 4698
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:17 am

andyd wrote:And these :applaud:


Oh yes :D I remember collecting those war books, Commando, Battle, etc. but I don't think I read them, just liked to actually have them! There was definitely something about them which just made you want them. Had loads of the Action Man stuff, that must have been one of the defining toys of the era.

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 4698
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:20 am

Peter-S wrote:
In a box somewhere in my loft I still have some old Matchbox cars that I never quite managed to get rid of :oops:


As I'm on my second phase of collecting some stuff from the era, including those, and recapturing those golden times, if you decide to clear them out please keep me in mind Peter! :)

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3787
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby andyd » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:26 am

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:And these :applaud:


Oh yes :D I remember collecting those war books, Commando, Battle, etc. but I don't think I read them, just liked to actually have them! There was definitely something about them which just made you want them. Had loads of the Action Man stuff, that must have been one of the defining toys of the era.

I read loads of the Commando books, but only if Aeroplane related.....That reminds me of the Airfix Models too :D
And hanging them from the bedroom ceiling with cotton and a drawing pin :lol:

Sure kids today don't have as much fun :headscratch:

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 4698
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:44 am

andyd wrote:
Sure kids today don't have as much fun :headscratch:


Quite simply, they don't as almost everything is staring-at-a-screen related.

Spent hours on those model kits, one of my main hobbies that was, and very popular back then, you could buy them all over the place. I've actually made a couple in recent times. It's still as much fun :)

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3787
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby andyd » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:49 am

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:
Sure kids today don't have as much fun :headscratch:


Quite simply, they don't as almost everything is staring-at-a-screen related.

Spent hours on those model kits, one of my main hobbies that was, and very popular back then, you could buy them all over the place. I've actually made a couple in recent times. It's still as much fun :)

I have thought about making some again, but not really got anywhere to keep them :?
Somehow I don't think the Mrs will let me hang them from the ceiling :lol: IIRC the glue used to dry out and bits kept falling off :(

Caprigear
Donator
Donator
Posts: 2070
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:14 pm

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby Caprigear » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:54 am

There's no way I would ever swap the childhood I had for what todays kids have, I actually feel sorry for them growing up in the world as it is now.
Image

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 4698
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:11 am

Caprigear wrote:There's no way I would ever swap the childhood I had for what todays kids have, I actually feel sorry for them growing up in the world as it is now.


Like you Martin, I feel relieved, and thankful, that I have lived in the time which I have done, I really do feel that it was the best era.

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3787
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby andyd » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:22 am

pbar wrote:
Caprigear wrote:There's no way I would ever swap the childhood I had for what todays kids have, I actually feel sorry for them growing up in the world as it is now.


Like you Martin, I feel relieved, and thankful, that I have lived in the time which I have done, I really do feel that it was the best era.

:agree:

Caprifan Rob
Posts: 1080
Joined: Tue May 06, 2014 8:47 pm
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: Who Remembers

Postby Caprifan Rob » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:13 pm

pbar wrote:
Caprifan Rob wrote:If my brother hasn't 'found it' it's yours.
Hi Paul, really sorry, the Astro Wars game is not there any more in my mothers attic :banghead: it turns out my brother not only remembered it was there but had it, along with a lot of other childhood stuff he'll probably never use again, shipped to Australia when he moved there. I'll be sure to check first before I make such 'bold' claims in the future.. :doh:
You could have had it if it'd been there, apologies.
All the best. Rob

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 4698
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:08 am

Hey no worries Rob. Thanks again for the thought! :)

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 4698
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:47 am

The good old Corona man! This was such a big part of those times, I still find it strange how he's disappeared.

Image

Paul G
Posts: 739
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:21 pm
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Fiesta mK2 pop plus, Skoda Octavia VRS, Rover SD1 Vitesse.
Location: High Wycombe

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby Paul G » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:11 am

pbar wrote:The good old Corona man! This was such a big part of those times, I still find it strange how he's disappeared.

Image


I remember him and Cresta "its frothy man". As a kid I used to go round looking for all the old glass bottles that various drinks came in and taking them back to the local shop to get the deposit that you had to pay on bottles.

Why oh why don't they bring that back now rather than all this plastic everywhere.

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 4698
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:15 am

Paul G wrote:As a kid I used to go round looking for all the old glass bottles that various drinks came in and taking them back to the local shop to get the deposit that you had to pay on bottles.

Why oh why don't they bring that back now rather than all this plastic everywhere.


Funnily enough there has been recent talk/speculation about that in the news. So maybe it will return!

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3787
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby andyd » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:13 am

Remember it well.....Tizer too :D

I also remember the Bakers Van coming to my Nan's house with all his wares.....Good days :)

User avatar
pbar
Posts: 4698
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:29 pm
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.
Location: North-West

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby pbar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:33 am

We had all sorts delivered back in the day didn't we, hard to imagine it now. Milk, bread, bacon, yogurt, soft drinks. I remember the day our bread man told us he wouldn't be coming any more, declared bankrupt. Very sad!

User avatar
Peter-S
Donator
Donator
Posts: 6153
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:57 am
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.0
1983 Capri 2.8i
Location: Kent
Contact:

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby Peter-S » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:38 am

I used to buy these for the collector cards inside the box. Seems weird now doesn't it - cigarettes targeted at school kids :o

Image
ImageImageImage

User avatar
andyd
Posts: 3787
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:43 am
Car(s): 1989 Sierra XR4X4
Location: Exeter

Re: Who Remembers?

Postby andyd » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:45 am

Peter-S wrote:I used to buy these for the collector cards inside the box. Seems weird now doesn't it - cigarettes targeted at school kids :o

Image

All the rage back then weren't they..... :)

My next door neighbour at that time smoked Cigars, and there were some really nice cards in certain packets.... planes, trains etc

Simpler, but fun times.......You don't get anything like that nowadays :?


Return to “Rant and Rave”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests