Who Remembers?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser Mercury Grey 1987 hobby .
Mercedes Vito tourer 2.1 Big Bus Daily Driver

Re: Who Remembers?

Post by Jasonmarie »

Cheers for that Rob Does look really good , might have to purchase this one when it’s out . :beer:
Ford Capri 2.0 Laser 1987 Mercury Grey ....... :beer:
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Caprifan Rob wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:Did you see Queens new film out ? Rob
Yes, saw it. Really enjoyed it, great story, would watch again.
I was surprised at the inaccuracies, there are an awful lot of things wrong.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
Caprifan Rob wrote:
Jasonmarie wrote:Did you see Queens new film out ? Rob
Yes, saw it. Really enjoyed it, great story, would watch again.
When you are a fan rather than someone who just likes the music, you always find that....
pbar

Post by pbar »

andyd wrote:
pbar wrote:
Caprifan Rob wrote: Yes, saw it. Really enjoyed it, great story, would watch again.
When you are a fan rather than someone who just likes the music, you always find that....
I'm a big fan Andy yes. But the thing is, a lot of the changes would affect even general knowledge of the band. The fact that they altered when he had his illness for example.

I mean, they adjusted someone's fatal illness just for a film and depicted it in a way which never happened. They may get absolutely slated for that.

Other inaccuracies for example, are when he had his short hair and mustache look, again a lot of people would know he didn't look like that in the 70's when recording We Will Rock You, as the film incorrectly shows.

The timeline of some Queen songs is a long way out, showing them playing Fat Bottomed Girls on a mid 70's tour, that wasn't written until the Jazz album in '78.

The 'two album' solo deal in the film is incorrect.

There is even a made up character who never existed, played by Mike Myers in the film just for adding a comment relating to Wayne's World!

If it was accurate then this would be phenomenal, by far the best film of it's kind and the benchmark for all others to aspire too, it is really that good, and the four actors are supreme and the effort by everyone is immense and obvious. But it is marred by the inaccuracies.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:
andyd wrote:
pbar wrote:
I'm a big fan Andy yes. But the thing is, a lot of the changes would affect even general knowledge of the band. The fact that they altered when he had his illness for example.

I mean, they adjusted someone's fatal illness just for a film and depicted it in a way which never happened. They may get absolutely slated for that.

Other inaccuracies for example, are when he had his short hair and mustache look, again a lot of people would know he didn't look like that in the 70's when recording We Will Rock You, as the film incorrectly shows.

The timeline of some Queen songs is a long way out, showing them playing Fat Bottomed Girls on a mid 70's tour, that wasn't written until the Jazz album in '78.

The 'two album' solo deal in the film is incorrect.

There is even a made up character who never existed, played by Mike Myers in the film just for adding a comment relating to Wayne's World!

If it was accurate then this would be phenomenal, by far the best film of it's kind and the benchmark for all others to aspire too, it is really that good, and the four actors are supreme and the effort by everyone is immense and obvious. But it is marred by the inaccuracies.
I can see your issues Paul.
Surely getting it 99% accurate wouldn't be that difficult :?
pbar

Post by pbar »

Exactly Andy, yes. I mean, why not just do it right?

The Queen/Mercury story is a phenomenal one, none of the changes make sense at all.

In the film much is made of them 'reforming' for Live Aid, a band member even says how can we pull this off we haven't played together for years. Yet just before Live Aid, in '84-'85 Queen had done a large scale tour in support of The Works album.

Bonkers!
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Exactly Andy, yes. I mean, why not just do it right?

The Queen/Mercury story is a phenomenal one, none of the changes make sense at all.

In the film much is made of them 'reforming' for Live Aid, a band member even says how can we pull this off we haven't played together for years. Yet just before Live Aid, in '84-'85 Queen had done a large scale tour in support of The Works album.

Bonkers!
:agree:
It was Quo that reformed for Live Aid, although they had only been apart about a year since the 'End Of The Road' tour in 1984!!
pbar

Post by pbar »

One of the biggest reformations was Zeppelin. But their set wasn't great, and they all blamed Phil Collins on drums.

Much was made of The Who playing as well. But that set had transmission issues and went off air!

Many people forget also, that Mercury and May from Queen came back and did another number later on in the evening.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:One of the biggest reformations was Zeppelin. But their set wasn't great, and they all blamed Phil Collins on drums.

Much was made of The Who playing as well. But that set had transmission issues and went off air!

Many people forget also, that Mercury and May from Queen came back and did another number later on in the evening.
I know Queen did a great set, I don't recall Mercury and May, but I didn't watch it all....
I remember racing home from work to catch Quo :D :guitar:

Sabbath reformed for that too, although still some bad feelings between Iommi and Ozzy.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Forgot about Sabbath, thanks Andy.

What a great concert, a great day, when you look at those legendary names, it can never happen again, incredible.

And with Queen, probably the greatest ever live performance by any band in history, in certainly didn't need a new movie to try to add aspects to it that are just fabricated to alter it's meaning in some way.
andyd

Post by andyd »

pbar wrote:Forgot about Sabbath, thanks Andy.

What a great concert, a great day, when you look at those legendary names, it can never happen again, incredible.

And with Queen, probably the greatest ever live performance by any band in history, in certainly didn't need a new movie to try to add aspects to it that are just fabricated to alter it's meaning in some way.
You can't change history :cheers:
pbar

Post by pbar »

What a great event, so glad I was able to witness it.

Even in the small pic below we have Bono, McCartney, Mercury and Bowie. It's beyond incredible.

Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I am going to say they don’t make music like we had in our times . Yes Queen , Zeplin , Quo & Fleetwood MAC .
Only bands I like that are new are War on Drugs and Future Islands .
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:I am going to say they don’t make music like we had in our times . Yes Queen , Zeplin , Quo & Fleetwood MAC .
Only bands I like that are new are War on Drugs and Future Islands .
I've pretty much given up on new music...Stick to what I know :cheers:

Btw, the Artic Rolls are in the freezer :D :D
Jasonmarie
Donator
Donator

Post by Jasonmarie »

I did ask the boss to have a look . Even Marie said Christ what made you think of that . Had to stop myself saying it’s a Capri thing :doh:
andyd

Post by andyd »

Jasonmarie wrote:I did ask the boss to have a look . Even Marie said Christ what made you think of that . Had to stop myself saying it’s a Capri thing :doh:
:wave:
The grand opening soon :D
The packet says 5 servings :o The size of it just about serves 2 in this house :)
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Post by Caprifan Rob »

pbar wrote: Many people forget also, that Mercury and May from Queen came back and did another number later on in the evening.
Hi Paul, this is on YouTube, search ‘Is this the world we created live aid’ if anyone wants to watch it.
I agree, there were inaccuracies in the film & I would have liked the Montserrat Caballe collaboration given some airtime as well. Not so much because of the song but because I didn’t want it to end. I was enjoying it so much. Ending on the live aid concert though I think was a fitting tribute as Freddie was on top form. I’ve read some reviewers slating it for not showing enough debauchery & drug taking when he was in New York too.
That wouldn’t have added anything for me as if you knew his story you’d already know that side of him anyway & id rather watch them play the music.
You’re right though, if you want the bare facts, there are some great queen documentaries. Watched quite a few before seeing the film & enjoyed them.
Looking forward to the DVD Film release now, want to relax & be entertained again. Will have to get some popcorn & Arctic Roll in first though ;)
Daz-RSK
Car(s): 1985 Capri 2.8i Special

Post by Daz-RSK »

I watched Bohemium Rhapsody (Bo Rap - what on earth is that ?) and for entertainment, I didn't have an issue. Yes, I recognised that they were jumping back and forth through the years, even though the captions seem to keep to a chronological order, which I thought was weird. I seem to recall that they leapt to stuff in the early 80'sand then jumped back to 77/78 - but it flowed in order per the caption. Bit strange.

I didn't know all of the detail of the band and the bust ups, break ups. I was more of a Quo fan than Queen. I thought I remembered them having a lean patch in 82/83 period when they weren't firing on all cylinders and the US weren't quite so happy with them, until Radio Gaga / Hammer to Fall etc was released and got them back on track.

But it's all entertainment.

I think that the Rolling Stone publication linked below probably sums up the difficulty in trying to cram 2 decades into 2 hours. That's not to say that the facts in the film gets in the way of the truth. But to squeeze everything in and to make it interesting is pretty hard work. It's where then do you draw that line.

To the true fan, there are errors that cannot be overlooked. To the general population that like Queen's music when on the radio but not much more, like myself, I tried not to let the indiscretions get in the way of the entertainment. Maybe I was wrong - but I just went along thinking this is a film and let's hope there is some entertainment.

The issue with depicting life is that, frankly, even the most blessed people with the most wild / fantastic lives - they are frankly boring to watch. Completely off at a tangent here but to that point - the Rocky films with Sly Stallone depict boxing matches. What matches have you ever seen like a Rocky film ? None! But to the masses and for entertainment, a real boxing match cannot be shown in the way you expect the latest heavyweight contest at Wembley next summer really plays out.

I recognise there is no fact behind the Rocky series of films - but just pointing out how something has to be written and played out quite liberally to make it interesting. But point taken - getting people's names wrong, facts when who met who wrong, which people were involved wrong - these should have been tidied up a bit.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/musi ... ck-746195/
pbar

Post by pbar »

Daz-RSK wrote:I watched Bohemium Rhapsody (Bo Rap - what on earth is that ?)
Bo Rhap become the way that the band referred to the song. And then the fans duly followed suit.
pbar

Post by pbar »

Daz-RSK wrote:
I didn't know all of the detail of the band and the bust ups, break ups. I was more of a Quo fan than Queen. I thought I remembered them having a lean patch in 82/83 period when they weren't firing on all cylinders and the US weren't quite so happy with them, until Radio Gaga / Hammer to Fall etc was released and got them back on track.
/
Just to clarify a little (please forgive me, I can't help it :) ) Queen never broke up, all 4 were too stubborn to give in and walk away. The lean period you mention was in 1983. And they just took a year off really, having had no break since the very early 70's.

The US fell out with them in '84 with the release of I Want To Break Free and it's video. America would not entertain rock stars in drag.

Hot Space, released in '82 is genreally regarded as being the worst album, yet it still reached number 4 in the UK and had a number one single from it. Not bad for a worst album! Actually there are some class songs on that.

Queen had 9 number one albums, pretty good.

Queen's most successful single is Another One Bites The Dust, massive worldwide sales, written by Deacon of course.

Another thing that the movie plays on is the 'solo deal' which Freddie was given. They really messed around with that and it wasn't how they showed it in the film. And actually, Roger Taylor had released two solo albums even before Freddie did.

You are quite right about the timeline of songs being messed about with, bonkers that is, made no sense and is silly really.