New Front Valance Anyone....?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

New Front Valance Anyone....?

Post by D366Y »

Just seen this on our favourite website...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Capri-MK ... SwcUBYIRae

:shock: Eye-watering!!

All the best
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Caprifan Rob
Car(s): 2.8injection special

Re: New Front Valance Anyone....?

Post by Caprifan Rob »

Just plain silly at that price, id like to see this as an auction just to see its true worth, then again, that's the going rate for a good parcel shelf so what do I know :roll: .. I guess if concourse is your thing then its worth it, i'm just glad to jump in mine & go for a drive & not worry about its value. :drive:
Hollyoak
Car(s): FORD CAPRI 2.8 SPECIAL
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
The asking price does look a little on the high side.
Clearly the seller realises that if anybody requires a NOS valance and a pair of wings, they won't have much choice but to buy from him/her.
All the seller has to do is stick to their guns until that buyer comes along. Which they will, eventually.

All the best,
Andrew.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

And if all of you had those panels then you would let them go at knock down prices???? I think not.
Agreed, some things are expensive but that's just the way it is. If you'd said to me only 5 years ago that the Capris were going to increase in price the way that they have I simply wouldn't have believed you.

You can't have it both ways, everybody is happy that their cars are increasing in value - why shouldn't the few remaining genuine parts still available not rise accordingly?
Obviously different people have differing ideas of what is expensive but when items are in short supply then the price will go up, it's simple supply and demand.
Arya2.0S
Car(s): ford capri 2.0 s

Post by Arya2.0S »

I know its ridiculous. When i needed a new valance for mine (thank fook my dad was able to repair my original one) one person quoted me around that price for one, and that was outside of inflate-bay.
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

Caprigear wrote:everybody is happy that their cars are increasing in value
I'm not. Not at all.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

pbar wrote:
I'm not. Not at all.
You must be the only one then.
Hollyoak
Car(s): FORD CAPRI 2.8 SPECIAL
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

I would imagine the majority of people who have got their car to a good standard will have invested 100s of man hours and invested 1000s of pounds and most will be lucky to see their money back never mind making a profit, prices may be rising but that doesn't always mean the seller's making a profit,

Dave.
Last edited by Hollyoak on Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
I'm inclined to agree with Paul on this. An increase in value can only be realised if the car is sold, and as we're all Capri lovers, we won't be selling our cars.
However, we still have to deal with the rise of parts prices, as mentioned, and also the possibility of an increase in desirability to car thieves.

Andrew.
D366Y
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1986 Laser 1.6, daily runaround project
1981 GL Auto 2.0, Barn-Find-Resto, now also a runaround project
1980 3.0S, crash damage resto
1993 Fiesta 1.1

Currently full up and no more space but I still want a 2.8...

Post by D366Y »

Caprigear wrote:And if all of you had those panels then you would let them go at knock down prices???? I think not.
Agreed, some things are expensive but that's just the way it is. If you'd said to me only 5 years ago that the Capris were going to increase in price the way that they have I simply wouldn't have believed you.

You can't have it both ways, everybody is happy that their cars are increasing in value - why shouldn't the few remaining genuine parts still available not rise accordingly?
Obviously different people have differing ideas of what is expensive but when items are in short supply then the price will go up, it's simple supply and demand.

I agree that prices have to go up for parts at the same sort of rate that the value of the car increases, though judging by the price of the cars that need repairing these days (£2k lets say) It seems somewhat counter-intuitive to need some new wings and a valence and then have to pay out (if we use these parts as an example) £2500 on top to start repairs on some panels.

No doubt there will always be people paying for these parts, someone will want to keep the originality etc. but I think the shock for many of us is when we got Capris in the first place, they were relatively cheap (certainly compared to todays prices!) as were the parts so we could afford to keep them going; As time wears on its worrying that we simply might not be able to afford the parts at all and see less and less of them on the road...

If these were a forum for old Aston DB5s or E-types or something then we wouldn't be complaining so much because we'd obviously all be pretty minted anyways to be able to run them but I know I'm certainly not! :lol:

All the best
Danny
A wise man once said... "you can never have too many capris - buy another" :beer:
It's me, I'm the wise man.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

D366Y wrote:
Caprigear wrote:And if all of you had those panels then you would let them go at knock down prices???? I think not.

I agree that prices have to go up for parts at the same sort of rate that the value of the car increases, though judging by the price of the cars that need repairing these days (£2k lets say) It seems somewhat counter-intuitive to need some new wings and a valence and then have to pay out (if we use these parts as an example) £2500 on top to start repairs on some panels.

No doubt there will always be people paying for these parts, someone will want to keep the originality etc. but I think the shock for many of us is when we got Capris in the first place, they were relatively cheap (certainly compared to todays prices!) as were the parts so we could afford to keep them going; As time wears on its worrying that we simply might not be able to afford the parts at all and see less and less of them on the road...

If these were a forum for old Aston DB5s or E-types or something then we wouldn't be complaining so much because we'd obviously all be pretty minted anyways to be able to run them but I know I'm certainly not! :lol:

All the best
Danny
The thing is, it doesn't matter if It's a Capri or an E Type. The thing they both have in common is that they're both big cars and they both rot and Capri rot isn't any cheaper than jaguar rot.
If anything, panels for the E type are are easier to get than Capris.
Another thing, don't worry about not being able to afford the parts in the future. With the stupid prices that owners are expecting to get for what is effectively scrap cars and the amount and quality of the spares that can be taken off said cars then the breakers will not be buying them, I have only brought in three cars during the whole of this year. Last year I only broke three as well.It doesn't take a genius to work out what the future holds.
Still, there's always E Bay.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

Thank goodness for the pattern part manufacturers for those on a budget. Even they will get more expensive with time but we must all use them or loose them and hope that if they are used sufficiently that they will extend their ranges - just like Magnum have with their recently introduced longer sills and replacement floor pans. I know Martin and other suppliers have been leaning on them to extend their ranges but we must get more accepting of cars having pattern parts and the extra work to make them look right and perhaps leave the overpriced OE stuff for the £30K trailer queens, unless obviously you can afford the prices asked for it. When the OE stuff has gone we will have to, as Martin said.

It's all down to the laws of supply and demand rather than the value of the vehicles. The parts are rare and in great demand rather than necessarily being to do with the price of the cars going up.

Wouldn't it be nice if we had the availability that the MG/BL guys had through the owners club and the Heritage panels that they get. The MG owners club even make brand new cylinder heads for them and the only parts for an MGB that you can't get new are the gutter rail trims and the cylinder block. And that's only to do with emission laws, they have the casting blocks.

I don't know how many Capris are still in existance, taxed or not, but I expect there are more MGB's around which obviously makes their parts supply more viable.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Paul G wrote:I don't know how many Capris are still in existance, taxed or not.
In this country there are 9266 Capris of all models in total, licensed and on SORN. 3685 of those were on the road in Q2 2016. In comparison, there were 37251 MGB/C in total.

Andrew.
Paul G
Car(s): MK 3 3.0S needing restoration, 2.0S, 1.6 Laser (nearly ready), Skoda Octavia VRS, VW Polo 1.4CL

Post by Paul G »

About four times as many then. Thanks for the info.

Dare I admit that I owned an MGB until last year. I see a new front valance for one of them is up to £65 now and a genuine heritage wing is £425. Even they are a sod to fit though.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Caprigear wrote:
pbar wrote:
I'm not. Not at all.
You must be the only one then.
I'm not really happy either tbh. Hopefully it means less will be broken or written off needlessly, but it means if I ever had to buy another one, I wouldn't be able to justify the cost. Potentially in the future it might even be difficult to justify *keeping* it if I could get good money for it. When they were worth £1k it wouldn't have been worth the hassle of selling it. Plus, as you say, cost of spares will rise.
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
Paul G wrote:I don't know how many Capris are still in existance, taxed or not.
In this country there are 9266 Capris of all models in total, licensed and on SORN. 3685 of those were on the road in Q2 2016. In comparison, there were 37251 MGB/C in total.

Andrew.
I think the Capri among some other Fords, has been looked upon by many as the trouble makers or yobs car :headscratch:
Hence making it difficult to get spares will eventually get them all off the road......
Leaving more room for the more Gentlemanly Jaguars, Rovers and MG's etc :?

Or am I talking total B*****KS :lol:
aikmanmosquito
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 Laser, a few other cars that aren't Capris

Post by aikmanmosquito »

I very rarely comment on forums, but really feel I need to get my tuppence worth on this one!! While up to a point I agree with Martin's comments, a line has to be drawn somewhere!! There's making money and a living from selling parts, then there's blatantly ripping people off! and to be honest £1700 for two 'genuine' Capri wings screams to me of the latter!! However at the end of the day an item is only worth as much as someone is prepared to pay for it! these wings may sell quick, or as I suspect the owner will still be sitting on them for a while. I own a Laser, which I've had for 24 years, It's clean, maybe not as clean as other cars, but still wears every original panel, now if I were to have an accident and be desperate for originality, I would be left with a rather sour taste in my mouth at paying £1700 for a pair of wings just so I know they were original!!
Fords were always aimed at the working man, and like Martin I cannot fathom the crazy prices the cars are now fetching, if this current trend continues then the Capri, and sadly other popular older Fords are going to be out of the reach of the true classic Ford fans. So to those who see classic cars as only a financial investment, please leave our beloved cars alone and go and invest in something else, whiskey for example.
QuadCamCapri
Car(s): Capri 'Classic Thundersaloon'
5.0 32V Cobra V8 and E34 Touring

Post by QuadCamCapri »

Would rather go to Germany and buy this one for Euros 458....
http://www.youngtimer-autoteile.de/shop ... jbsatpc480

Fair to say I did get through a few front panels a wings when I started racing back in the 80's. Looking at an old invoice from 1988 I paid £25.40+vat for a front panel :shock:
My last pair of front wings I sold for £400+ each a number of years ago, as it was no longer viable to use them on the race car.
My in-car race video Cadwell Park 1995 Capri V6 vs 2x V8's
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUSBcLhI ... gvD3_PeHIA
ESSEXV6ESSEX
Car(s): Car

Post by ESSEXV6ESSEX »

I think the whole Ford scene if you like is suffering with high prices as already said it's supply and demand and those with the biggest wallets will pay and continually push up prices. That's all good and well if you are making money but for some who have kept these legends alive to coin a phrase are now struggling to keep their 30-40 year old machines on the road and its such a kick in the gonads. I have tried to reason both ways and it leaves me completely on the fence. With most things in life if you can't afford it you look for things you can afford, we can all eat cheap beans without giving it too much thought but let's put that in perspective with the 40 your old Capri there is no comparison, going to buy a Metro or an MGB it's not the car that took you on family holidays or the car you had on your wedding day etc, it's not the same thing. Your not made of money, what do you do? I don't know what the future holds but I hope prices start to get a little more sensible so the cars and parts are in everyone's reach rather than the chosen few and I don't just mean Capris. Think things will get worse this year as I'm sure they'll be a lot of investors from abroad taking cars out of the country with the value of the pound. Because they are RHD they will find there way back in a few years at twice the price. I predict by the time the 50th comes along we will see the first 100k production Capri, probably a Mk1 or 280. Trump may trigger a world wide recession and I can't see the banks increasing interest rates by a significant amount. The money launderers are still out there so I'm sure prices will hold for a good while. One thing though is sooner or later companies will start to reproduce more stuff obviously from India or South America but this could change things, even the ls cars are starting to be restored to high standards.