Tickford Capri on Ebay

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
Hollyoak
Car(s): FORD CAPRI 2.8 SPECIAL
ROVER P6 3500s

Re: Tickfor Capri on Ebay

Post by Hollyoak »

[quote="Andrew

I must say I'm a little surprised that generally people don't seem to like the Tickford.

All the best,
Andrew.[/quote]

Hi Andrew, Me too tbh

Dave
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Tickford Capri on Ebay

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

andyd wrote: give me a nice 2.8i/3.0S anytime....
Hi Andy,
I certainly wouldn't turn down a 2.8 or a 3.0S, or even a 2.0S.....

or a Tickford! :D

All the best,
Andrew.
Hollyoak
Car(s): FORD CAPRI 2.8 SPECIAL
ROVER P6 3500s

Post by Hollyoak »

http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C380821
This one looks better, it's a strong price though,

Dave.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hollyoak wrote:http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C380821
This one looks better, it's a strong price though,
Hi Dave,
Good find. Yes, that's a very nice car.
It's a pity so many Tickord buyers opted for the standard Capri seats, like this one. There's nothing wrong with the seats, but I would have thought for such an expensive car at the time the owners would have preferred a more luxurious seat covering.

All the best,
Andrew.
A17 LTF
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1 pinto, Skoda Octavia Mk1 VRS

Post by A17 LTF »

My father owned A508 RUD for a number of years and that had a reworked interior in full leather. Always a marmite car. I personally liked it and was very attached to it in my young days. No idea where it is now.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

A17 LTF wrote:My father owned A508 RUD for a number of years and that had a reworked interior in full leather. Always a marmite car. I personally liked it and was very attached to it in my young days. No idea where it is now.
Hi,
A508RUD was a stinning car.It was featured in the club magazine several times during your Father's ownership. You must have had an enjoyable childhood with a Tickford as a family car! :)
All the best,
Andrew.
A17 LTF
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1 pinto, Skoda Octavia Mk1 VRS

Post by A17 LTF »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:
A17 LTF wrote:My father owned A508 RUD for a number of years and that had a reworked interior in full leather. Always a marmite car. I personally liked it and was very attached to it in my young days. No idea where it is now.
Hi,
A508RUD was a stinning car.It was featured in the club magazine several times during your Father's ownership. You must have had an enjoyable childhood with a Tickford as a family car! :)
All the best,
Andrew.
It definitely was an experience put it this way. Got well known with that car. Problem was that whenever something went wrong or needed changing, you had to do twice as much work to get it right than you would on a normal capri because of the way the car was setup and built. Right down from getting radiator out to taking interior bits out.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
Fair enough, but I could live with all of that.

Andrew.
atomic4
Car(s): Ford Capri V8 Twin turbo.
W reg black 3ltr S

Post by atomic4 »

Looks like this Tickford has reached it's reserve now!. :cool:
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

atomic4 wrote:Looks like this Tickford has reached it's reserve now!. :cool:
Hi,
Well spotted. The seller apears to have set a realistic reserve for this car.We'll have to wait and see how much it sells for.

All the best,
Andrew.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I personally don't like them. From a mechanical point, they're a disaster, the turbo set up is crap and not well thought out. The Turbo Technics set up is way better and neater.
The battery in the boot and the main power cable running the length of the car caused some to catch fire and burn out.
Parts like the rear calipers are very rare and expensive to replace and if the AFT box decides to pack up then they're also expensive to fix.
It's each to their own but given a choice I would go for a 3.0 S or an early 4 speed 2.8i. Obviously lots of people do like the Tickford as the price of them remains strong but thery're not my cup of tea.
blitzy
Car(s): project blitz ex 1.6 laser fitting 2.0 uprated suspention with caprisport GTR brakes

Post by blitzy »

Despite its negatives the Tickford will be held as "one of them" Capris along with the 280, special and The Perana ETC.
Personally I am more disappointed with the fact it was a creation by Aston Martin and the results are not all that.
The body kit just doesn't look right not saying body kits on the Capri doesn't work I do personally like the RGA front and boot spoiler, I just don't like that one same with the KAT kit don't that as well.
and then there is the grill or lack of I know that front spoiler was designed to force air towards the rad but I always heard of them over heating.
That level of money for me would equal a good 280 or Special with a few quid left over for the upgrades that in all fairness would at least be barking up the backside of the Tickford.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Caprigear wrote: Obviously lots of people do like the Tickford as the price of them remains strong but thery're not my cup of tea.
Hi Martin,
I guess that the high prices are able to be sustained due the rarity. Demand will always exceed supply.

I have heard about the occasional Tickford catching fire. The battery in the boot is the one part of the turbo installation that I'm not keen on. TT managed to find the room to keep the battery in the engine compartment, but Tickford couldn't. There must have been a reason.

All the best,
Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

blitzy wrote:Despite its negatives the Tickford will be held as "one of them" Capris along with the 280, special and The Perana
Hi,
Yes, I agree. Regardless of it's faults, I believe that the Tickord Capri is regarded as desireable by many people. Although not by any on this forum, it would appear! :)

Andrew.
347 V8
Car(s): Mk2 V8, RS3100.

Post by 347 V8 »

Yep, the Tickford is probably the ultimate marmite Capri.

I remember when they were new and seeing one on a show room, plus gave way to one on a narrow section of road and thinking ' wow, thats the ultimate capri' and at the time it probably was. The problem is, the very 80's body kit has not aged well. It wasn't helped when the original designer left and set up KAT, making very very similar body kits for many cars including the Capri. Suddenly anyone could have the Tickford look, and it kinda cheapened the look over night.

As has been said, it was over engineered, engine wise, with the turbo up front supposedly to even out exhaust pulses from each bank of cylinders....all those long pipes between the heads and the turbo did was to give turbo lag. They also used a complex ( at the time) ecu to control and retard the ignition...which is a bit of a pain these days. I've heard Tickford owners say that mounting the turbo up front was something Tickford pioneered. They've obviously not seen a Broadspeed turbo mk1 then! :D turbo technics made a simpler, better engineered and more effective job of it, producing more power. Tickford also did a lot of work on the rear axle, improving location and implementing fully floating hubs with rear brake discs. At the time, a lot of what they did was overkill and just added huge costs to the car.

Having said all this and followed a few resto threads and seen them at shows, my ' hmm, don't like that' view has softened. While a number of capris would be ahead of a Tickford, and I really could not envision one in my future, you can't deny that any Tickford Is a significant Capri. They are a pure product of the 80's, representing something that probably would not be done now, and despite the engineering shortcomings, engine wise, a superbly presented Tickford engine bay is something to behold. You want something a bit special in a Capri, a Tickford ticks the box, so totally understand someone saying 'yea, ultimate Capri'....and despite some owners saying they are Aston martins, not fords......well, looks like a Ford capri....and pretty sure Ford sold em....but as ever, stand to be corrected!
MS Injection
Donator
Donator
Car(s): 1985 Ford Capri 2.8 Injection Special

Post by MS Injection »

I'm with you Andrew. I like Tickys. Not that I disagree with anything that has been said about the expense of keeping one on the road or the difficulty in sourcing the parts. I well believe it. But I like the look of them and love seeing them.

Mike
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

347 V8 wrote:You want something a bit special in a Capri, a Tickford ticks the box
Hi,
I think that sums it up for me. A Tickord wouldn't necessarily be top of my Capri want list, but it is definitely on that list.

I know that the Tickford only appeared in the Ford Cars brochure once, or was it twice, so it couldn't have been heavily promoted at the time.

All the best,
Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

MS Injection wrote:I like the look of them and love seeing them.
Hi Mike,
I agree. I think there is something special about them that sets them apart from the crowd.

All the best,
Andrew.
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

Hi,
If anyone is interested in the progress of the auction, the Tickford has been relisted due to an Ebay error.
The new listing has been bid up to £17950 already.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aston-Martin- ... 1c566f68b4

Andrew.
andyd
Car(s): 1981 XR3

Post by andyd »

Andrew 2.8i wrote:Hi,
If anyone is interested in the progress of the auction, the Tickford has been relisted due to an Ebay error.
The new listing has been bid up to £17950 already.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aston-Martin- ... 1c566f68b4

Andrew.
Hi Again :lol: Well what else can you do in this Bloody Weather??

Noticed this a few days ago....Strange?