Fusebox

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
eloise
Car(s): 2.9 cosworth inj, S1 rs turbo, t25 campervan, jag xtype, Reno megane, honda c50, Vespa gt200.

Fusebox

Post by eloise »

Hi,

So, I'm having electrical gremlins messing in my car. Heater was not working so I stripped the dash out to find the plug not connected. Popped the plug on and put the dash back together. I have always had a yellow and red wire on the tags at the fuse box. They just twisted round the loom and I have always been curious what they were for so thought I would trace them. Went to a rocker switch for the water jets to cure a stalk problem I presume. Anyway, whilst doing this, I snapped a tag off the fuse box, the top one. I have two spare fuse boxes, one with the same tag snapped and one with the tag green and corroded. Cleaned this up to use, unscrewed and lifted the fuse box and found a melted wire in the moulded plug :roll: when I say melted, it looked like candle wax. Traced the wire to the back light cluster, longest wire on the car :roll: renewed this and spliced a new connector in for the fusebox. Put the spare fuse box in and nothing dash or brake light/indicator worked again :roll: pulled fuse box back out after tracing a few circuits and tried again, still nothing. Put original fuse box back in and all worked except I have a wire I can't connect up (broken spade and I still have not looked what this wire is for). I noticed the plug went with a distinct click when connected. So, I thought, try spare fusebox again and make sure connector is on properly :roll: :roll: it worked, had enough by then and could not face putting dash back together so thought I would just run car back in to the garage. Come to start it up and all the electrics went out, loose earth on the battery :banghead: tightened that and run it in to the garage, got all sorts of wonderful dash light combinations when I used the brakes as well.

I know this is a long story and I'm getting to the point soon, but did you ever have one of those days when a simple job turned in to a complete nightmare? I can't face looking at it till the weekend now :crying:

And the point of the story is, I thought I would buy another fuse box to use, or keep as a spare :lmao: wow, have you seen the prices for the utter rubbish on eBay? £30 for a fuse box that looks absolutely buggered. I was gobsmacked, not so much at the price, but at the condition of the items that people have the nerve to put up for sale. Think I will clean the ones with the broken tags and bang them on the bay, join the rest of the :wank: trying to make money of decent folk.

Anyways, rant over, but it sure does feel good to have a moan lol.

Cheers Neil.
oh no what have i started!
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Re: Fusebox

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

eloise wrote: did you ever have one of those days when a simple job turned in to a complete nightmare? .
Once or twice! :)

Sounds like you've had a right kerfuffle with the wiring, hope you get it sorted soon.
Anyway, don't get me started on Ebay chancers selling their substandard crap for inflated prices.......
All the best,
Andrew.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I must be a fucking mug then - I've just sold a really nice clean one complete with a full set of fuses for half that!
eloise
Car(s): 2.9 cosworth inj, S1 rs turbo, t25 campervan, jag xtype, Reno megane, honda c50, Vespa gt200.

Post by eloise »

If you have another at that price Martin, put it on one side and I will have it :D

Cheers
A17 LTF
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.1 pinto, Skoda Octavia Mk1 VRS

Post by A17 LTF »

Martin i could do with a good fuse box terminal as well.
Caprigear
Donator
Donator

Post by Caprigear »

I have loads of things like these in stock. I've been breaking Capris for over 20 years. All it takes is a phone call, E Mail or a PM and mostly I can supply the parts but it seems like the preferred option now is to take your chances on E Bay and generally pay more.
eloise

Post by eloise »

Got the fuse box today, looks good, cheers Martin.