How bloody thick?

You can RANT and RAVE to your hearts content here instead of clogging up the Q&A Technical Forum!
Report any offensive posts to [email protected]
80s kid
Car(s): Ford 2.0s auto daily driver

How bloody thick?

Post by 80s kid »

Hi all

So i'm doing a bit of diy and making myself a chain link steering wheel.

Got an old steering wheel im gonna cut the metal spokes out then clean it up as it's abit rusty. I needed a metal cutting wheel for the grinder and a sanding wheel. Oh and the most important bit of a chain steering wheel A CHAIN.

Went to b&q got the disks and on the way home realised I forgot the bloody chain. I was hoping to use the welder Monday to get it all sorted.

Also how expensive are disks at b&q? I had to ask the assistant if the grinder come with it. I will be buying my disks from eBay I think.
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Re: How bloody thick?

Post by timfromull »

I'm guessing the steering wheel is for show use, me old fruit?
apart from not being very tactile they're illegal........again I'm guessing you know this?

Oh, by the way 80's kid, I love your enthusiasm........way to go kid....... :cheers:
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

timfromull wrote:I'm guessing the steering wheel is for show use, me old fruit?
apart from not being very tactile they're illegal........again I'm guessing you know this?

Oh, by the way 80's kid, I love your enthusiasm........way to go kid....... :cheers:
ARE THEY? What a joke. I seen a few drive out of shows with them on the hotrods so assumed they were fine.

Why are they illegal? If i crash im just as dead hitting the normal wheel as I am a chain one.

I also wanted to buy a knuckle duster and weld that to make a gear knob but guess what... yeah you can't have no fun in this shit country
timfromull
Car(s): 1985 Capri Laser (project) Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior and Vauxhall Vivaro van

Post by timfromull »

When I did the Hot Rod thang years ago we all had illegal stuff on our cars.......
As you say, yes it's to do with the wheel collapsing and kebabing you on impact...
My Pop didn't have seat belt's as it was exempt......bit of a contradiction really but that's the way it is..
I had a chain wheel on it for a 'very' short while........it felt horrible...

It's more the MOT geezer that will frown upon it.......
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

timfromull wrote:When I did the Hot Rod thang years ago we all had illegal stuff on our cars.......
As you say, yes it's to do with the wheel collapsing and kebabing you on impact...
My Pop didn't have seat belt's as it was exempt......bit of a contradiction really but that's the way it is..
I had a chain wheel on it for a 'very' short while........it felt horrible...

It's more the MOT geezer that will frown upon it.......
Oh I got another steering wheel I can change it come mot time.

If I get pulled the cops won't go all Louie Spence over it will they

The Wheel will be welded a gud un so I can't see it causing much damage compared to the other things that are goin to kill me in that car lol
spireman
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 laser (finally back on the road). Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (daily driver)

Post by spireman »

I had a chain steering wheel on my custom car in the 70s, it looked great but driving with it was a different ball game altogether, it was uncomfortable and nearly ripped my fingers off when I hit a deep pothole and the wheel yanked out of my hand. The next morning it was off and a proper one fitted, had a nice chrome piston for the gear change.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

spireman wrote:I had a chain steering wheel on my custom car in the 70s, it looked great but driving with it was a different ball game altogether, it was uncomfortable and nearly ripped my fingers off when I hit a deep pothole and the wheel yanked out of my hand. The next morning it was off and a proper one fitted, had a nice chrome piston for the gear change.
I'm going for the 8 ball one cuz I can't have a knuckle duster.

Are they really that bad then? I found some chain with big links so my fingers went in between the links to make a grip.

Every idea im having for my car is being shot down by the Shitty laws of this dump hole cotton wool Country
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

80s kid wrote:Every idea im having for my car is being shot down by the Shitty laws of this dump hole cotton wool Country
Hi,
You're not even allowed to have spikes on the front anymore, like the cars in Death Race 2000 had! :lol:
Andrew.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

peers.dupp wrote:
80s kid wrote:Every idea im having for my car is being shot down by the Shitty laws of this dump hole cotton wool Country
Hi,
You're not even allowed to have spikes on the front anymore, like the cars in Death Race 2000 had! :lol:
Andrew.
It's a good job I ain't got an old chevy truck cuz id want bull horns on that. Why can't people just stop being so bloody soft.
spireman
Donator
Donator
Car(s): Ford Capri 2.0 laser (finally back on the road). Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec (daily driver)

Post by spireman »

It always makes me laugh when they say you can't have bull bars on the front of your 4 wheel drive because they could injure a pedestrian, I think if you get hit by a 4 wheel drive the bull bars are the least of your worries. :)
Andrew 2.8i
Donator
Donator
Car(s): '83 2.8 Injection (sunny days only)
'04 Toyota MR2 (owned from new)

Post by Andrew 2.8i »

80s kid wrote:It's a good job I ain't got an old chevy truck cuz id want bull horns on that.
Hi,
Why don't you have them on the bonnet of the Capri? This guy fitted some to his Mercedes.
http://ilpvideo.com/video/NDc1MTg/forge ... orns--more
I'm not sure it will pass the MOT over here though!
Andrew.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

So is all this only illegal for the MOT guys benefit? If so that can easily be solved the Day before?
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

peers.dupp wrote:
80s kid wrote:It's a good job I ain't got an old chevy truck cuz id want bull horns on that.
Hi,
Why don't you have them on the bonnet of the Capri? This guy fitted some to his Mercedes.
http://ilpvideo.com/video/NDc1MTg/forge ... orns--more
I'm not sure it will pass the MOT over here though!
Andrew.
That just don't look right lol. Plus the horns are the wrong way round.

I'm watching a very crap edited smokey and the bandit from the other day on itv4. Has the world gone that soft kids can't hear the word shit or knockers on tv now.
ThatGuy
Car(s): 1986 2.0 laser

Post by ThatGuy »

I've had alot of the same thoughts as you 80's but as you said alot of it is illegal in this country, the only thing ia to try and find loopholes in car laws and work around that :p
As for cutting disks, power tools and the like give screwfix a shout as there prices mostly are cheaper than b&q
Ratty as fuck
pbar
Car(s): Capri 2.0 Laser, frequent driver.

Post by pbar »

80s kid wrote:So is all this only illegal for the MOT guys benefit? If so that can easily be solved the Day before?
Unless you get pulled over the other 364 days of the year?
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

Surely tho we can have one in old cars with zero safety things in anyway?
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

pbar wrote:
80s kid wrote:So is all this only illegal for the MOT guys benefit? If so that can easily be solved the Day before?
Unless you get pulled over the other 364 days of the year?
They have to catch me first... oh no wait it's not 1984 anymore the lazy bastards just send you crap in the post lol.
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

ThatGuy wrote:I've had alot of the same thoughts as you 80's but as you said alot of it is illegal in this country, the only thing ia to try and find loopholes in car laws and work around that :p
As for cutting disks, power tools and the like give screwfix a shout as there prices mostly are cheaper than b&q
Ebay mate. Can get loads of disks off there at reasonable prices.
-JC-
Car(s): 1986 Ford Capri 2.0 Laser
2004 Mazda RX8

Post by -JC- »

Would it really suit a capri anyway? It's more hot rod sorta thing I woulda thought
"Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now."
80s kid

Post by 80s kid »

-JC- wrote:Would it really suit a capri anyway? It's more hot rod sorta thing I woulda thought
That's what I'm going for mate. It's a Ford and any ford screams hotrod imo.

Everyone wants to turn a capri back to original which is fine if that's what your into but I like cars to be unique. I like looking at pics of someone's capri and there being something about it that makes you say "yeah that's so and so capri"